7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 11:11 AM by davidg44737659

Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan

robjc

I had no problems tethering my Nikon D800 in Lightroom 5.7 but it no longer works since upgrading to El Capitan. I have read there have been issues with Lightroom 6/CC 2015. Does anyone know if compatibility has been or is a problem with previous Lightroom verions?

• 1. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

El Capitan removed some USB function that Nikon used to support tethering and that older versions of LR used to tether.  It won’t come back and those previous versions won’t be updated. 

Nikon reworked their tethering component which LR was able to incorporate and you need to be using at least LR 6.4 or LR CC 2015.4 to tether and even now it can be a bit more iffy for certain older cameras.  I don’t know if the D800 is one of those cameras.

If you are still using the LR 5 series, try downloading LR 6/CC 2015 and update it to LR 6.5.1/CC 2015.5.1 and see if tethering works, again.  If so then you can decide if you want to buy a LR 6 serial number to down-license LR CC to LR 6 with or if you want to pay for a Photography Plan CC subscription.   Trials may be only a few days, now, so make sure you’re ready to test tethering before installing LR CC.  You can find the manual installers, here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
            robjc Level 1

Thanks for your quick response. I will try the upgrade to Lightroom CC 2015 option as I was contemplating that move anyway. Seems that decision has been made for me. Cheers!

• 3. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
              davidg44737659 Level 1

Having the same problem.

I have no intention of upgrading to Lightroom 6 though.
              I have supported Lightroom since it started and now see its functionality eroded.

Not at all pleased.

Really don't want to have to go down another software route or is there likely to be a fix for this ?

• 4. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                Really don't want to have to go down another software route or is there likely to be a fix for this?

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely there will be a fix for this -- Adobe doesn't provide updates to older versions of LR (LR 5, 4, etc.).

• 5. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
                  davidg44737659 Level 1

Had a "chat" with an Adobe representative today who remotely took control of my computer and updated my LR6.0 to the latest LR6.6.1

Now it all works again

Okay I did have to pay for an upgrade to LR6.0 but that's okay - it is mine and I don't have to rent it.

Well done Adobe

• 6. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
                    KR Seals Level 1

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to the latest El Capitan two days ago and LRCC 2015.6.1 last week. Today my D810 tethered just fine.

• 7. Re: Tethering Nikon D800 no longer works in El Capitan
                      davidg44737659 Level 1

Yes

I don't know which bit of software / firmware caused the problem but I can confirm that now, (at least for me) El Capitan works just fine with LR 6.1.6

If you are nor a Creative Cloud user and instead a Creative Suite User - ie someone who BOUGHT the software and upgraded it regularly (and paid)  as opposed to the people who RENT it by the month, you need to track down firstly the upgrade to LR 6, and pay for it, and then from within the updates menu of LR 6 get LR 6.1.6

I have to say that to even find the option to buy LR 6 and upgrade to LR 6.1.6 I had to chat with an Adobe rep for a while - it doesn't seem that easy to find and will probably the last BOUGHT version that Adobe supports before transferring all its business model to the rented version.

Just my opinion of course, but that's certainly the feeling I get.

Rather irritating; because I have been with LR since the very beginning and now find myself being frozen out by the rentable version.

I am now almost retired from pro photography and cannot justify a monthly outgoing on software - the bought version I had hoped would tick along nicely until I was too old to pick up the camera.

Perhaps Adobe has other ideas !

I still think LR is just about the best front end photography management system and I hope this opinion continues.