8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 9:52 AM by kwrichard

How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?

kwrichard Level 1

I use LR CC and am trying to learn how to create an 8x10 headshot photo with the clients name in text at the bottom of the photo.  8x10 also needs to have white border around it.  Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this!

• 1. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
          BKKDon Level 4

Use the print module choose 8x10 template , and then one of the options is Photo Info. You can either use the EXIF Title and enter it there or enter Custom Text. Both appear at the bottom center of the image.

Use a page background color of white if you want a white surround.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
            kwrichard Level 1

BK,

thanks for this quick reply!  This was VERY helpful!!  So from here...

1. How do I save it as a copy in my develope module?  I want to be able to export that copy to an external drive rather than print it immediately.

a.  it goes to a smart collection folder but is not saved there as the headshot print I created.

2.  Can I batch edit more than one photo at a time with the steps you provided.

• 3. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
              dj_paige Level 9

The steps provided above do not deal with the case where you are exporting the photo for later use

1. Photos are automatically "saved" in Lightroom; there is no need for you to execute a "Save" command (nor is there a "save" command). File->Export creates a copy of the file on your external (or any other) drive for later use. To include text on the photos, you would need a plug-in called Mogrify
              2. Ignore those instructions, they don't apply to your situation. You can apply corrections to multiple photos in any number of ways. You can do this via the Copy and Paste buttons at the bottom left of the develop module, or by using Auto-Sync (see Auto Sync « Julieanne Kost's Blog )

Also, if you want to print at 8x10, you have to first crop to an 8x10 aspect ratio.

• 4. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
                kwrichard Level 1

proactively working this....I figured out how to print to file instead of print to printer!

Would you know how to print to file and save at a higher resolution?  it saved at 2.5meg.  I'd like to save it at 8 or higher....or does that even matter in your opinion?  I checked the info on the photo and its saved at 2550x3300.

• 5. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Megabytes is not resolution. You'd like to save it at 8 (megabytes?) or higher, this is not a relevant issue when printing.

The relevant issue is that you do (or do not) have enough pixels. Yes, you do have enough pixels, your 3300 pixels on the long side works out to 330 pixels per inch (3300 divided by 10 inches), which is more than enought to create a quality print (normally 300 pixels per inch will produce a high quality print) However you have not cropped the photo properly, it is not a 8x10 aspect ratio, and so the print of this photo will either get cropped by the printer or leave white space on the paper.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
                    kwrichard Level 1

Thanks DJ!  Understood!  I'm ok with the white edging.  I'm sending some to print now to confirm nothing got cropped out.  You guys have an awesome 4th!  I'll keep you posted.

Still curious about the batch editing/saving option though...

• 7. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Still curious about the batch editing/saving option though...

I explained how to do that in my earlier reply

• 8. Re: How to Create and Print an 8x10 Headshot?
                        kwrichard Level 1

Oops!  I just saw that. Thanks.

Kenny R

Sent from my rectangular handheld box