6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 3:32 AM by Roei Tzoref

How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?

Guy Burns Level 1

I've imported two stills, different sizes, into AE and placed them on two layers in a composition. I'm playing around with the Reshape effect, and as I enlarge the smaller image it becomes cropped at its boundary box.

How do I increase the size of the boundary box without changing the size of the image? I tried Utility > Grow Bounds but that doesn't seem to do what I want.

I'm running CS6.

• 1. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Pre-compose to idenhtical comp sizes.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion – which leads me to more questions.

Ques 1

Once you have a still on a timeline – a still that is smaller than the composition – is it not possible to enlarge its bounding box without pre-composing? You can't just drag handles or suchlike?

Ques 2

What is the reason AE doesn't allow direct resizing of boundary boxes? In fact, is it actually a bounding box? Doesn't seem like what InDesign calls a bounding box, whose size can be easily changed, independently of the image it contains.

Ques 3

I want to be sure I understand your suggestion correctly, as the process seems rather involved. Is this what you meant:

1. Put the larger still (3700 x 2600) into Comp 1 (3700 x 2600).
            2. Put the smaller still (1000 x 1600) into Comp 2 (which defaults to 3700 x 2600). A 1000 x 1600 bounding box appears, and causes cropping.
            3. Pre-compose Comp 2. The bounding box disappears. I assume the bounding box is now 3700 x 2600.
            4. Drag the pre-comp into Comp 1.
            • 3. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Even ID doesn't have editable bounding boxes, it simply uses "objects", which are containers for content and specific renderers (text etc.). Otherwise an image bounding box is intrinsic as calculated on the image bounds, visible pixels or a custom bounding box stored in the metadata. There is no reason why this should function any differently and in fact it doesn't. You just have your terminology wrong. It's no different in AE. For all intents and purposes, the comp window is your "object" just liek it would be in ID, so yes, your steps in 3) solve the problem sufficiently.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

if you want to enlarge the container that contains your image, to "make room" for an effect of some sort, you should make a composition that is larger then your image, or use Grow Bounds in some cases (some effects accept it, some don't).

If you want to enlarge the image itself to fit into the composition, or want to manipulate the image itself - use this explanation:

Ques 1

Once you have a still on a timeline – a still that is smaller than the composition – is it not possible to enlarge its bounding box without pre-composing? You can't just drag handles or suchlike?

You can click on the image in the composition window and drag parallel points on the X and Y axis - this will change the scale of the X and Y. alternatively you could use scale in the transformations and break the link chain to control X and Y.

if you want to be precise use "Fit to Comp" to fit the image to the current composition (Ctrl+Alt+F) - this will match the image perfectly to the composition but will change proportions accordingly. you can use Fit to Comp Horizontally or Vertically too - Fit to Comp Width/Height. all these options are under Layer->Transform

Ques 2

What is the reason AE doesn't allow direct resizing of boundary boxes? In fact, is it actually a bounding box? Doesn't seem like what InDesign calls a bounding box, whose size can be easily changed, independently of the image it contains.

I think the idea is that After Effects is Effects based. so you should use an effect to get more manual control over manipulating your image. for this instance you could use Corner Pin/Power Pin effect to get manual control over each individual point - same as using CMD/Ctrl when clicking on a corner in transform box in Photoshop. there are also effects that allow handles with bezier points for a warping effects. these are all under Effects->Distort.

• 5. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
                  Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium and Yoofi, for the suggestions. When I actually have to do this for real, I think I'll set up the correct sizes in Photoshop first. Might be easier.

Anyway, two final questions:

1. Where do I find Fit to Comp? I've looked under all the menus, Control-clicked everything I could think of, but I couldn't find it. And when I do find it, what do I apply it to: the image in the Project window, or it's layer in the composition?

2. This is a bit tricky to explain. I have drawn two masks around two images (for morphing one to the other), and then applied the masks to each image so that each image has two masks. According to instructions I read, that's one way to do it. However, the images have different scales, so the opposite masks don't match. Is there an easy way to scale and position a mask so that it exactly matches the original image, even if the mask is being applied to a different layer with a different scale?

• 6. Re: How to increase the size of the bounding box for an image?
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

1. right click on the layer->transform-> there you can see all of fit to composition features. you apply it to the layer in your timeline.

2.not sure exactly what the recipe for this type of effect is.looks like you are looking for a specific technique for morphing one image to another. you need a proper recipe from a decent instructor. I would start here. if you want to scale a mask you could click on it (where it says "Mask 1,2,3...") and press Cmd/Ctrl T or click on any of the mask vertices or outline twice. you will get a transform box that you can manipulate like PS.