31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 8:54 PM by Yuvaraj007

Text frame hidden

Yuvaraj007

I am using Indesign CS6, and doing a layout for a Directory

After I do some find and replacement some text cannot output, it was hidden in the text frame.

Please find below link of my indesign Files. (Also PDF files for reference)

https://ds.firstprinters.com.sg/index.php/s/OpxvUVfyhjplOPE

Password: adobeindesign

• 1. Re: Text frame hidden
          Barbara Ash Adobe Community Professional

On my computer, your InDesign files do not have hidden text. That may be because I don't have the same fonts that are used in your documents. Therefore, I can't view the problem.

However, from your description, it sounds like when you did Find/Replace, the text was replaced with a greater number of text characters, causing the text to no longer fit within its frame. This is called "overset text".

You need to either enlarge the text frame so that all the text will fit, make the text smaller so that it will fit, edit the text to remove enough characters so that it will fit, or add more pages for the extra text.

In Preferences > Type, there is a Smart Text Reflow checkbox that might be helpful to you. There is a description of how to use that feature at http://indesignsecrets.com/make-indesign-add-pages-automatically-as-you-type.php

There is another setting that lets you automatically expand a text frame so that the text will fit. First select the text frame, then choose Object  > Text Frame Options, and click the Auto Size tab.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't solve the problem, let me know.

• 2. Re: Text frame hidden
            Pickory Level 3

Hi,

I had a quick look, there is a missing plugin alert when I open the document.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 21.01.36.png

P.

• 3. Re: Text frame hidden

I also had a missing plug-in alert.

• 4. Re: Text frame hidden
                Yuvaraj007 Level 1

After-Correction.pngBefore-Correction.pngHi Barbara Ash

Thanks for your reply.

Please see screenshots on page 88 of 2 different version of my indesign file.

The text frame is linked upto the end of the document, so any text can't fit in to the frame it will run to the next linked frame.

Is it possible to check your side the same page, please give me suggestion.

The text in some places only hidden and the other pages is correct and it won't reflow.

Regards,

Yuvaraj

• 5. Re: Text frame hidden
                  Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Pickory and Barbabara,

Please ignore the plugin, I am using it for imposition from HP called SmartStream Designer.

Thanks

Yuvaraj

• 6. Re: Text frame hidden

I don't see any indication on your before/after screen captures that there is overset text. If there were overset text, you would see a red dot in the status bar at the bottom of your window. If you don't see a red dot, there must be another reason why the text is not showing, for example, the text could be white.

• 7. Re: Text frame hidden
                      Pickory Level 3

Hi,

Not much help to you, but this document is crashing Mac CC2015.4.

Maybe there is some corruption in there.

P.

• 8. Re: Text frame hidden
                        Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi,

The text is in black colour, as you can see in my other screenshot.

Yes, there is corruption.

And whenever I use multiple text frames in a page and more pages and all linked together to flow (around 50 and above), it happens.

Every year we got this kind of projects (Trade directory), I use indesign to layout. Whenever I find and replace some text or I update the Master page also it happens.

Please let me know is it advisable to use bulk pages in single document, I have no choice to use this, because my client may change (Insert new details or delete some details), that's why I need all the pages linked together to reflow.

Thanks

Yuvaraj

• 9. Re: Text frame hidden

You should be able to easily use 'bulk pages' in InDesign, that is exactly what InDesign is designed for, longer multi-page documents.

I'm able to reproduce the problem with the text disappearing. The text isn't actually disappearing. It is still there, but not visible. When I made an edit to the text, the text suddenly reappeared.

I suspect that this may be due to a bad font. When I changed the font to another font, Myriad Pro, the text did not disappear.

It may be that the font you are using is corrupt.

There is information for fixing a corrupt font on Windows here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-i-fix-corrupted- font-files-in-windows-7/786061…

And for fixing a corrupt font on MacOS here

How to troubleshoot font problems in OS X | MacIssues

• 10. Re: Text frame hidden
                            Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Barabara

Thanks for your suggestion.

I believe that this is not regarding with font, because there is a full page advert on the last page of this document also have same issue.

Reagards,

Yuvaraj

• 11. Re: Text frame hidden
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not able to access your file on my system because Firefox doesn't like your web page security.

You mention this is a recurring project. Do you work from a template, or "recycle" the old file each year? If the latter, I suspect there may simply be built-up corruption, especially if there have been several versions of InDesign used over the years. If that's the case, you probably need to start fresh.

• 12. Re: Text frame hidden
                                Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We are doing every year, but I am using new template and new design every year.

I am not using the same template.

I am not sure it because of to many vector files, and images. Also I am using 3 to 4 layers as well.

Regards,

Yuvaraj

• 13. Re: Text frame hidden

What version do you use now, and what version was used to create the template.

I don't believe either the number of vectors or layers should be affecting the text.

• 14. Re: Text frame hidden

I think I may have found the culprit. I noticed that there is a blank paragraph underneath the paragraphs with the "Profile" paragraph style. The blank paragraph has a very tiny non-printing character in it. When I enlarged the character, it turned out to be a Column Break character. Does removing that character solve the problem for you? If it does, then instead of a column break, maybe you could change the Keep Options for the CN paragraph style to force breaks where you need them.

• 15. Re: Text frame hidden
                                      Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Barbara,

Use the blank paragraph to break the Column. If it is the case what about the Advert page.

I feel It is a bug in Indesign.

How to submit this issue to the Adobe team.

Thanks

Yuvaraj

• 16. Re: Text frame hidden

I'd like to take a look at the ad. Which page is the advertisement on?

You can submit bugs to Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 17. Re: Text frame hidden
                                          Yuvaraj007 Level 1

At the end of the document

thanks

• 18. Re: Text frame hidden

The ad at the end of the document is a placed pdf. Your issue is happening when editing text, but the ad doesn't have any text that is editable in InDesign. Could you describe what you are doing when working with the ad that is causing a problem?

• 19. Re: Text frame hidden

Barbara,

Check the PDF properties to see if it was created in Quark. Could be a problem with OPI comments, enabled by default in Q...

• 20. Re: Text frame hidden

In the Links panel, it says the pdf was created in InDesign 5.5. None of the linked graphics were provided so I can't check the creator in Acrobat.

This InDesign file is very slow on my computer. I've found that to be the case when graphics are missing and fonts used in the document are missing, so that may be the cause. However, the document has three overlapping threaded text layers, which could also be slowing things down. There may be a good reason for using this complex structure, but if there was a choice, I would simplify the document and then test to see if text is disappearing when edited. Take a look.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 21. Re: Text frame hidden

Ouch.

As I said earlier, I wasn't able to download the file for security reasons from the link provided. I could send you an upload link to my Hightail dropbox if you think it would help for me to see the file.

As far as checking the PDF, I meant in Acrobat's file properties dialog > Additional Metadata > Advanced (though ID may be reading the same info).

• 22. Re: Text frame hidden

I'd be happy to send you the file to your dropbox.

• 23. Re: Text frame hidden

I sent you a link by PM. Working on a client brochure revision now, but I'll look later this afternoon.

• 24. Re: Text frame hidden

Uploaded the two files to your dropbox.

• 25. Re: Text frame hidden

I've been playing around for a bit (that "after" file is clearly corrupt in some way -- the horizontal scroll is way over to the right and it goes berserk and needs to force quit or restart the computer if you try to move it). The text is still there if you check Story Editor, and I was able to make it appear by changing the last paragraph return  before the "missing text" to a forced line break, then changing that back to a paragraph break. I don't see much point, though, since the file is still corrupt -- even after those operations there are no actions to undo in the Edit menu.

I also tried a few things before the forced line break trick. Putting the cursor in front of the last break before the missing text an pressing the right arrow key sends me to page 229, but not to the text. Zooming in on the text in the left column causes that to disappear, too, but it comes back when zooming out. An exported IDML file never opens.

I think ID is losing track somehow of where that text is. I can't say for sure if the numerous inserted column breaks are the culprit, but I would use keep options as part of a paragraph style instead to force each listing into the next frame.

As far as being able to save this file, hard to say. I would start by rebuilding the template file, redefining the styles, and re-import the text.

• 26. Re: Text frame hidden

Peter, Good to have another pair of eyes. I'm in agreement with your assessment. In response #14 I had suggested Keep Options. But as you say, the file seems hopelessly corrupt. And as you suggested, best to start from scratch.

Yuvara, in the process of rebuilding the template file, if any of the structure can be simplified (fewer layers, fewer text threads, etc) that would probably help to prevent future corruption.

• 27. Re: Text frame hidden
                                                              Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Peter and Barbara,

Thanks for your time and analysing the issue.

Actually 4 years ago also I had the same issue when I was using the CS4 version, after that I didn't face this problem. But this year again.

This year I was in trouble, because we printed and then only noticed the missing information, we printed twice some signature and overprint some, because this one is a big event alternate years happening and a short time around given for us to layout.

I will follow your suggestion for the keep option.

I shared the linked files and the fonts as well in the below location:

https://ds.firstprinters.com.sg/index.php/s/JfYsUQe2XrlIHzc

Password: adobeindesign

Thank you very much once again.

Yuvaraj

• 28. Re: Text frame hidden

I took a look at the file history on the Before file. It was originally created in an unknown version of ID, then opened from IDML in an un-patched version of CS5 and appears to have some history of crashing prior to a direct conversion to CS6.

Simply put, recycling files like this is likely to have drastic corruption issues. If you are going to use templates they should be created clean, and if they need to be updated to a new version of ID they ideally should be recreated from scratch in that version, or as a last resort by opening a .idml file exported from the original template in the version of ID in which the template was created.

• 29. Re: Text frame hidden

Yes, agree with your advice. In my experience InDesign has been a very stable program, not prone to corruption -- except as you described, when a file is recycled over and over and over again.

• 30. Re: Text frame hidden

You're welcome for my part. I'm sorry for the frustration you've been through.

• 31. Re: Text frame hidden
                                                                      Yuvaraj007 Level 1

Hi Peter and Barbara,

Thank you very much.

I will follow your suggestion.

Regards

Yuvaraj