4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 7:14 AM by RoninEdits

Why slow playback when using replace with aftereffects composition

evmundo

Hi all

I was recently asked to make a stop-motion animation with text and I have ran into many problems.

Let me explain my process and then the errors.

Take photos for animation (around 1200)

Import with lightroom cc and adjust the size to fit 1080p

Import into Prem Pro CC  (latest version)

Create new comp and adjust the speed duration until i am happy with the film

Edit and cut the film into bite sized peaces to do more speed duration ETC

Bite size peaces are replaced with aftereffects composition and text is added

Now for the problem, when go back to Prem my PC grinds to a halt the composition is unplayable and Premier pro starts acting strange, Black screen, not updating the text, crashing all the time and droping hundreds of frames.

This has become a big problem.

This is my PC spec

256 ssd OS and adobe

120 SSD cache

1TB HHD media files

1Tb cache and other Games

GTX 970

16GB fast ram DDR3

Are my problems disk setup or something else, I am looking to buy new hardware but what do i need to play the Prem Pro aftereffects composition.

Please help

• 1. Re: Why slow playback when using replace with aftereffects composition
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i think you are dealing with adobe software issues. AE has been undergoing a major upgrade to make it multi-threaded, so it may only be using a single thread while direct linked in premiere causing poor performance and dropped frames. you could look at windows task manager to see if the ae comp is single threaded during playback in premiere and overall cpu usage drops. if it is there isn't anything you can upgrade to really help. a new i7-6700k build has the fastest single thread performance, but it may only be around 10% faster. you could try disk caching the comp in AE and premiere should try and use that for playback, or render and replace the ae comp in the premiere timeline. if you need to go back to the ae comp to tweak it, you can use the restore command. Render and replace media in Premiere Pro

if render and replace doesn't help with the strange behaviors, you could render out the files from ae and drop them into the premiere timeline above the ae comps and disable the ae comps. if there are too many ae comps to make this practical, you might have to check on the regular premiere forum and ae forum for ae direct link problems/bugs causing black screen and crashes. not everyone using premiere is also using ae, so known issues and help fixing them may be limited.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why slow playback when using replace with aftereffects composition
            evmundo Level 1

That's more than helpful, I appreciate the help. I was about to spend a grand upgrading everything if needed.

• 3. Re: Why slow playback when using replace with aftereffects composition
              evmundo Level 1

I thought i would let you know that Premier pro was using all CPU's 0-7. It might be my HDD on its way out I have ordered a SSD and hope that helps a bit, I needed one anyway.

• 4. Re: Why slow playback when using replace with aftereffects composition
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you can copy part of your media onto one of your other ssd's, to recreate the problem ae comp, you should be able to tell how much difference a new ssd will make. if it makes no difference, it may not be the hdd.

you could also check the task manager, to see how much memory is being used. 16gb would be fine for 1080p projects in premiere, but using ae and premiere linked will use both programs and ae likes alot of memory.

if you have high/maxed cpu usage, you can still use ae disk cache or render and replace to build up the comps files for smooth playback. you could also try lowering the playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4. ae was never known to have real time playback like premiere. they are trying to make ae more that way now but it still may not playback in real-time with your project and pc. if you wanted to upgrade the cpu, it would take a 6 core or higher x99 upgrade to make any difference. the 6 core i7-6800k might be around 20-30% faster, after that it costs much more to get an 8 core or higher cpu. you still may have software problems besides that, with the black screen and crashes, that a faster pc may not solve.

1 person found this helpful