8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 1:28 PM by PmPhotographic

Video Cards for PPro 2015.3

PmPhotographic Level 2

HI,

I have a HP Z400 workstation, running win 10 pro.  My video card is now obsolete as far as PPro is concerned, an Nvideo FX3800.  I'm aware of the specs here Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows but am suspicious as it is dated for the earlier version of PPro 2015.2

Can anyone confirm if this list is correct for the latest version?

I had considered the Nvidea M2000 card as an upgrade, but this is not on the list and chat with both adobe and Nvidea has not clarified the situation

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

• 1. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

adobe doesn't test/certify as much as they use to, so many new video cards are missing from that list. all of the mx0000 quadro cards are based on maxwell architecture, same as the gtx 900 series, which have all been working fine with premiere. so you should be fine with the quadro m2000. if you don't need 10bit display for premiere, or have other software that requires a quadro, you could opt for a cheaper priced gtx card like the 950 or 960 4gb. a single fan blower reference style gtx 960 will exhaust the hot air out of the back of the case, to keep from heating up the inside of the case and will require a 6 pin pcie cable from the power supply.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
            PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi

Thanks.  I've spoken to another tech support today, and they also agree the M2000 should be fine.  I'll also have a look at the 9XX ones you suggest

Regards

• 3. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
              RjL190365 Level 4

Be aware that as far as CUDA performance is concerned, the Quadro M2000 is equal to a GeForce GTX 950.

• 4. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
                PmPhotographic Level 2

Thanks for your replies, so, for using Adobe CC, Premier Pro and Photoshop mainly, would the 9XX series be useable?  They are about half the price of the M2000, so what would I miss out on?  I'm presently editing mainly HDV to HD and some 4k footage, but would like an option for 4k monitor in the future

Regards

• 5. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3

adobe software can use quadro cards for 10bit display out to a 10 bit monitor, thats about it. if you are looking for a card to future proof for a 4k monitor, the gtx 1060 6gb is to be released soon and should support the new 4k hdr spec. if you need something now and/or don't care about the 4k uhd spec, the gtx 960 4gb might handle some light 4k projects, but a faster card like the gtx 970 is usually recommended. it will also depend on the rest of your z400 workstation, a fast video card won't be of much good if its waiting around on a slow cpu.

• 6. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
                    PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi, my present Z400 has a Xeon W3520 processor.  I'm not sure at moment which way to go, partly as I'm no longer up to date on cards and why some are designated 'gaming', if the 970 will work with my system, then that's certainly worth considering.  In fact, do you even need a workstation these days?  I'm used to them and would consider one again.  One problem, its almost impossible to see and compare any of this equipment before buying and specs don't always tell the story

Regards

• 7. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3

the gtx brand from nvidia is targeted to the gaming market, but is often used with other software like video editing applications. the quadro cards are geared for workstation computers running scientific applications that need the extra features only found in quadro cards. intel and nvidia love to push workstation hardware as they charge a very high premium and make more money. so you will see sponsored publications and video's for premiere that try to push workstations to make intel and nvidia more money.

workstations were a big deal for reliability, but now a days a good desktop grade computer can come close for reliability for much less money. so workstations now days are mostly for service and warranty, but some custom shops offer similar service. custom built computers allow for picking quality parts that get close to workstation grade. most of the people here use custom desktop grade computers, and a few are using dual xeon workstation's.

the xeon w3520 is pretty slow by today's standard, it may have a hard time using more than a gtx 750 or 950. a new 4 core i7 desktop like the i7-6700k is about 2x as fast and would still often be matched with a gtx 960. some 6 core cpu's are even faster and are good for entry level 4k performance with premiere.

• 8. Re: Video Cards for PPro 2015.3
                        PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi

Thanks for the info.  I'm having a look around, but still not sure which way to jump,  The Z400 has done me well over the last 6 years, and I do have 4 drives in it, so any future unit also needs to be able to do the same (I have external NAS as well).  I need to go look at off the shelf options, and to see if a custom approach is worthwhile too

Thanks again