21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 6:39 PM by Audiocage

Storage location of xmp-files

peterd87263722

Hello,

I load my fotos (format raw CR2 from Canon) from the flah card in a folder on my computer independent from Lightroom

and import them afterwards from this folder  into my 'working' catalogue for development (cut out, contrast, brightness etc). Finally I export them into respective folders with regard to the content. I organize all my folders by my own in Partition D of my hard disk system and make no use of Windows Libraries in Partition C

I started this workflow years ago with Lightroom 5 and I always found the created xmp files together with the original raw fotos on the folder from which I had imported.

Fotos, which I had deleted via Lightroom, were also correctly deleted from this import folder.

However, since some weeks, but quite a time after starting to work with LR 6,  this does not function anymore. I found, that Lightroom creates with each Import an additional single folder under 'Libraries', which contains a copy of the fotos, the respective xmp - files and were the non-wanted fotos are deleted, while the original fotos in the import folder remain untouched.

For a number of reasons I would like to return to the previous working mode but have so far not found any way do do so via change of settings.

I beg for a helpful comment.

Regards

Peter

• 1. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
          dj_paige Level 9

However, since some weeks, but quite a time after starting to work with LR 6,  this does not function anymore. I found, that Lightroom creates with each Import an additional single folder under 'Libraries', which contains a copy of the fotos, the respective xmp - files and were the non-wanted fotos are deleted, while the original fotos in the import folder remain untouched.

You probably need to turn on the option to automatically write metadata to XMP

Metadata basics and actions in Lightroom

• 2. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
            peterd87263722 Level 1

Option is (and was already set, problem not solved

• 3. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
              dj_paige Level 9

How are you importing ... using the COPY or ADD or MOVE command?

Explain further and in more detail what happens, where you find the phtoos and where you find the xmp files; or show us a screen capture.

• 4. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

peterd is probably referring to the folder that contains the "previews" next to the Catalog file which ends in .lrdata.

• 5. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Please check the Import dialog that you don't have Make Second Copy To: checked. Also make sure you are using the Add option at the top on the import window.

It sounds like you have somehow selected Copy at the top of the import window. With that selected all your images are being Copied to a folder selected in the Destination area and imported from that folder instead of from the original location.

• 6. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                    peterd87263722 Level 1

Hello and thanks

Previews: Sorrry, I am not referring to the 'Previews'. These are stored together with my respective Catalogues in a special folder in partition D. The copies I am referring to are direct ones from the pictures in the 'input'-folder and also in the CR2 - format. These copies are made at each import and put in a newly created folder with the actual date as name under the library 'pictures'. Perhaps they are intended as base for Catalogue Safety Procedure.

Import Dialogue: I use the option (in German)  'Hinzufügen', which is the last one in a row of four and corresponds in my understanding to option Add.

May I ask to indicate to me where Ican find ''Make second copy to:", so that I can check it.

Explain further: I will work along that way tomorrow. Perhaps you can give me some indication, what are you needing, for example

from a screen shot

• 7. Re: Storage location of xmp-files

The "Make Second Copy to:" option is in the right hand panel but it can only be checked if you have Copy as DNG or Copy selected.

Please use the OS Search feature and search you system for the name of one of those images. Are there 2 copies of it.

• 8. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                        peterd87263722 Level 1

Hello together,

thanks for your advices, which by the way helped me to understand LR better.

However, I had not fully understood, what has happened, so my description of the problem was not totally correct.

I put all my 'raw-folders'  at the end (when they have reached the size of roughly 20 GB and all fotos are developed as described above) into two different archives.  This time the actual folder raw 97 had grown to some 27 GB, so I put the overflow in raw 98,

while the fotos were already imported into LR. I can't recall exactly, which steps in which order I took, but I think I removed fotos from the working catalogue and reimported them from the new source raw 98. Whatsoever, I believe that during this process LR created the addditional folders under Library 'pictures' (on the C-partition) for safety reasons and used them as source for the catalogue even after the reimport from raw 98.

After having developped this deleted and reimported fotos and having started to develop photos, which have from beginning been stored in the next folder raw 98, the XMP files are correctly stored together with the originals and deleted fotos are likewise correctly deleted from this source. No further  folders are created under 'pictures'.

Regards

PeterD

• 9. Re: Storage location of xmp-files

I suggest you rethink your workflow. You should place all images in whatever folder structure you like and leave them there, whether processed, edited, or not.

Moving them around from one folder to another and removing them from one catalog and importing them into another is the worst thing you can do. All that does is confuse both LR and you, as you have found out.

There are features in LR for organizing your images in most any way you like. Take a look at the Smart Collections, standard collections and Keywords for organizing images. All that along with the filter system in LR.

Lightroom's strength is having all images in one catalog. So you never have to search around in different catalogs to find an image. They're all there in one catalog. In my catalog there are personal images, Work related images (I'm a construction supervisor, Master carpenter and cabinet maker) and images I have done for people as a paid photographer (although those are rare). All those images are in different folders, depending on what they are for, and on different drives connected to my computer. But they are all in one LR catalog.

• 10. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                            Audiocage

This is the series of events that I believe I represent what I did.

Got PC back from shop with new OS of Win10 Pro. All my pics and libraries are on a secondary HDD.

Installed LR 5.2 from DVD.

Ran upgrade and downloaded and installed newest version by accident. This also created a new catalog although I still had my old ones.

Is it possible that this new version essentially created new XMP files thereby over-writing my existing XMP files (which had all of the edits)?

The sad thing is you can see the full edits in the previews but they slowly get replaced as LR updates the previews. Ultimately, you can see from the file size of the XMPs that there are no edits when they are only 4K.

• 11. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                              dj_paige Level 9
                              Is it possible that this new version essentially created new XMP files thereby over-writing my existing XMP files (which had all of the edits)?

As far as I Know, this is not possible.

You have left out a number of steps in your description. Specifically, explain how you restored your catalog file or otherwise got photos into the catalog file. Details are needed, every step is needed, leave nothing out.

• 12. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                Audiocage Level 1

I apologize, but I don't remember 100% all the steps. I didn't think that anything would affect all the files as it did. I can tell you this, however. I delivered my last wedding package on July 3. I had been editing those photographs for that wedding for about two weeks on and off. All of the photos were fully edited. All of the XMP files are dated July 3. However, when I open the catalog today, the only edits that are on all those pictures are cropping. No other edits show other than cropping.

Here is a complete list of the steps I believe that I took:

I needed to get larger hard drives and change my computer bios in order to allow for windows to work with larger hard drives. So, I had the computer upgraded. I purchased two larger hard drives and the computer shop clone the data from my two existing hard drives; my data hard drive and my back up hard drive. Therefore the two new hard drives are much larger but have that data on them. I also have the two old hard drives: the data hard drive and the back up hard drive.

The PC changes included reinstalling the operating system. This required for me to reinstall software. I installed LR 5.2 from my DVD then clicked on About/Upgrade. Hey browser opened and I downloaded the latest version and installed it. However, it is the newest version which required for me to pay again. I didn't want that version, but wanted the latest 5.X version. I went to and/or remove programs and removed The latest version of LR. Then searched the website for the latest version of 5 which happens to be 5.7.1. That is what is installed now.

I believe that is all of the changes that I made to the PC.

• 13. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                  dj_paige Level 9

I don't see information that would answer the request: "Specifically, explain how you restored your catalog file or otherwise got photos into the catalog file."

• 14. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                    Audiocage Level 1

Sorry, I thought that was clear when I said that I it was on my secondary hard drive. C: drive is the new operating system. D: drive is my data files drive. The catalog didn't need to be created as it was already there. I needed to install LR on the C: drive. The data drive with the catalog and all of the photos is on the D: drive.

• 15. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                      dj_paige Level 9

So what steps did you follow to make use of this catalog file on the D: drive after you re-installed and updated your LR installation on the C: drive? Just because you install and update LR on the new C: drive, it doesn't know that you have a catalog to use on the D: drive.

• 16. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                        Audiocage Level 1

I just clicked on File, Open Catalog, browsed to the D: drive and opened it. That's it.

• 17. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                          dj_paige Level 9

So, my conclusion is now that you did the right things, and if your catalog does not show the edits, this is unexpected, and somewhat hard to explain. So please, in Lightroom, open one of the photos that doesnt' show the edits in the Develop Module and show us a screen capture of the History panel on the left. If the History panel is too long to fit in one screen capture, show us enough screen captures so that we can see the whole thing.

• 18. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                            Audiocage Level 1

Hello,

I have attached the History of one of the images. All of the edits for this photo are in view.

Capture 1.PNG

• 19. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                              Audiocage Level 1

I feel a little stupid because I didn't think about looking at the history. Clearly, the "Reset Settings" is the culprit and that the other edits are visible.  I certainly didn't apply the reset across multiple catalogs. Regardless, is there a way to delete that setting from a multitude of folders, or one folder  at a time?

Thanks again

• 20. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                                dj_paige Level 9

I don't know, I'm thinking this is a question for johnrellis or maybe john beardsworth

• 21. Re: Storage location of xmp-files
                                                  Audiocage Level 1

I haven't heard any news today. I suppose that you haven't either.