13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 7:37 AM by Danny Whitehead.

print out issue in pdf

kenl16277525

Hi

I am using Indesign CS 3.1.1. I am facing a problem for printing out the pdf. I was placed 2 logos in the indesign file, and use step and repeat to create a plate, while I print it out with separation, the logo in pdf is showing differently.  You can refer image 1 and image 2. The logo in image 1 is correct. Could you help to check why this will happen and how to solve it? if you need the attachment, pls advise how can I attach it in this discussion, thanks.

image1

image 2

image 3: this is my print setting indesign file,

• 1. Re: print out issue in pdf
          Abambo Level 4

Why are you printing separations? I never did, except once for testing... Separations should be done in prepress by the rip.

Try to export (ctrl-E) as PDF instead of print.

The logo is what type of graphic and colour mode?

• 2. Re: print out issue in pdf
            George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

Press setup and than do not "standard" settings for Adobe PDF printer settings, some as "print quality"

• 3. Re: print out issue in pdf
              kenl16277525 Level 1

We have a program to generate out the pdf automatically, it is using print function instead of export. We can not do the changes on that program so we have to use print. The logo is in pdf format, color mode.

• 4. Re: print out issue in pdf
                kenl16277525 Level 1

Here is the printer setting in my local PC, it is same as the server that we use to print out the pdf file. Any suggestion to solve the issue?

• 5. Re: print out issue in pdf
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I don't understand the whole problem here:

You have a program, InDesign, which makes PDFs via Export, not via print and with InDesign you should avoid postscript: No EPS, no Distiller, no PDF via print.

When the other program—you don't mention the name, which is it—cannot handle to export PDFs, why do want to do the same in InDesign? When you have 2 cars, 1 uses to much gas, you would never force the other one to use more gas to make the same output as the 1st one? Sorry, describe why you stuck in last millennium technology?

• 6. Re: print out issue in pdf
                    kenl16277525 Level 1

It is the internal program in our company, I don't know how to explain to you. The program can help us to auto import the data into indesign, and then save the indesign file and make PDFs via print.

My problem now is I place some logos (pdf format, color mode) into indesign, and then make PDF via print, the output pdf is strange, the same logo will have different output quality, just like the image in the first discussion. Do you mean we should make PDFs via Export instead of via print? Do you have any other idea to solve it so that we can make correct PDFs via print?

• 7. Re: print out issue in pdf

I don't understand why you should create a PDF from InDesign via print in any way? That is an ancient methods, like the old Egyptians have done it when the built pyramids, but we live in modern ages, now we have the technology to export PDFs in much superior quality.

• 8. Re: print out issue in pdf
                        kenl16277525 Level 1

As we need to get the pdf in color separation mode, so that our production team can easy for printing the goods(offset mode). As I know, create pdf via Export will get a pdf in full color version, this is not we wanted. Or could you tell me how to Export a pdf in color separation mode? Is there a function like this?

• 9. Re: print out issue in pdf

InDesign is not supposed to be used in a pre separation workflow. It is intended to use it with color management, even with RGB images should be used for print.

I think your workflow sticks in the old ages of pre separation. You should urgently update all your workflows and not try to screw down modern software to premillennial methods.

• 10. Re: print out issue in pdf
                            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Ken Liu,

You've gotten some pretty good analysis here that you and your company should heed!

(1)     InDesign is optimized for direct PDF export, not for creating PDF via distillation of PostScript. The PostScript generated by InDesign is optimized for direct printing on PostScript devices and not for PDF creation.

(2)     I'll even add that for InDesign content, you get many more options and better reliability by exporting PDF from InDesign (preferably using the  PDF/X-4 settings) and then printing from Acrobat (assuming you don't have a printer that directly consumes PDF content).

(3)     Pre-separated PDF is not a workflow endorsed by Adobe or any other reliable, recognized standards group or industry trade association. Why, because such a workflow requires pre-flattening all transparency and yields non-repurposeable PDF for starters. No RIPs from the last dozen years or more feature any such workflow. We know of no real benefit of such a workflow since the 1990s.

- Dov

• 11. Re: print out issue in pdf
                              kenl16277525 Level 1

Thanks for your help and suggestion. Will feedback to my management.

• 12. Re: print out issue in pdf
                                Abambo Level 4

But I suppose the Logo is a kind of picture and not a vector graphic.

As Willi states, your workflow is outdated. But (and there is always a but), if it works (most of the time), why changing it? The answer to this is quite simple: Time. Your workflow makes you loose time.

Current workflows, even since the time of InDesign 3.X, is: Typeset the Document in ID (with the correct colour settings)->Export to PDF, using one of the PDF X 3&4-settings (with preference to PDF X/4) ->Prepress (Imposition & colour separation & rip) ->press.

I generally stop with sending the PDF X/4 file to my printer.

Now even if your workflow is fixed and out of your control, you could do an export with ID, just to see how the problem evolves. In Acrobat (Pro) you can preview the separation plates.

And you could print to the PDF printer and create the separated plates file. This may be helps understanding at which stage the problem appears.

• 13. Re: print out issue in pdf
                                  Danny Whitehead. Level 4

kenl16277525 wrote:

As I know, create pdf via Export will get a pdf in full color version, this is not we wanted.

Not if there's no colour content in the InDesign file. I'm guessing it's not a separated PDF you need, so much as a PDF that only has content on the black plate.

Have you tried actually sending an exported PDF?