18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 4:31 AM by mlevin7777

error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"

mlevin7777

I am using Lightroom CC, and tried to use the iPhoto import plugin to import my iPhoto library. It checks the library (which takes a while since I have 20,000 images), then allows me to set the destination for the new catalog, but when I activate the import, it says "Press 'done' to stop importing" and before it moves off of 0%, it shows "An internal error has occurred. ?.0: attempt to index a nil value" and fails. I've called Adobe tech support to no avail, they have no idea what this error means. Any idea how to successfully import an iPhoto library? Is there a better converter/importer? I need to be able to keep my metadata (star ratings, keywords, and albums).

• 1. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What folder are you selecting to create the LR catalog file in. It sounds like you have possibly selected a folder that your User Name does not have Write permissions to and LR can't create the catalog file in that folder.

Check the permissions on that folder and if need be add your user name to the list in Sharing & Permissions and give it Read & Write access.OS X Permissions.png

• 2. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
            mlevin7777 Level 1

hmm, I don't think that's it - I'm putting it onto an external drive and I definitely have permission to create files there. I sure wish this error was less cryptic as to where the process failed.

• 3. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"

How is the external drive formatted.

Have you tried saving the catalog file to your internal drive? If not try that as a test.

When was the last time you upgraded OS X?

• 4. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                mlevin7777 Level 1

> How is the external drive formatted.

normal Apple file system HFS+ Journaled.

> Have you tried saving the catalog file to your internal drive? If not try that as a test.

I don't have enough space on the internal drive; does it have to be on the internal drive or can I just try a different external drive?

> When was the last time you upgraded OS X?

it's on OS X 10.8.5

• 5. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I seem to recall that this error message displays if in the "Postprocessing" section of the export dialog there is nothing in the "After Export" box. I think the solution that was given was to choose "Do nothing" and then that error will go away. This is an issue from quite a while back, but give the solution a try and see if it solves the problem for you.

• 6. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"

mlevin7777 wrote:

I don't have enough space on the internal drive; does it have to be on the internal drive or can I just try a different external drive?

If you don't have enough space on your internal drive to do this one simple test then clearly you are out of space for everything and that is why you are getting that error.

Clear out some stuff on your internal drive and then test.

• 7. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I also suggest the fix by Jim Hess in Post#5-

The Post Processing "After Export:" box must have something in it (normally [Do Nothing])

It seems impossible to clear the box and have it empty but it does happen to some, causing an error.

ScreenShot041.jpg

Another fix I have seen in forums is-

Create a new empty catalog, then do File>Import from another catalog, to import your master catalog.

Have a backup of your master catalog as I do not know if all data gets imported into the 'new'.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                        mlevin7777 Level 1

> If you don't have enough space on your internal drive to do this one simple test then clearly you are out of space

> for everything and that is why you are getting that error.

I have 80 Gb free space, but my iPhoto library is 120 Gb. I am not out of space for everything - I doubt this is the source of the problem. But if it imports, it will definitely run out of space. However it never gets that far when it fails.   I'll try the do-nothing trick first.

• 9. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                          mlevin7777 Level 1

JimHess wrote:

I seem to recall that this error message displays if in the "Postprocessing" section of the export dialog there is nothing in the "After Export" box. I think the solution that was given was to choose "Do nothing" and then that error will go away. This is an issue from quite a while back, but give the solution a try and see if it solves the problem for you.

sorry, what Postprocessing section, and why "export" - I'm trying to *import* my iPhoto library into Lightroom; I'm using the iPhoto importer plugin, and it doesn't seem to have a postprocessing section. It has only selecting the library, selecting where they will end up, and "Options" which doesn't seem to say anything about After Export. I think I'm missing something?

• 10. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                            mlevin7777 Level 1

wobertc wrote:

I also suggest the fix by Jim Hess in Post#5-

The Post Processing "After Export:" box must have something in it (normally [Do Nothing])

It seems impossible to clear the box and have it empty but it does happen to some, causing an error.

ScreenShot041.jpg

Another fix I have seen in forums is-

Create a new empty catalog, then do File>Import from another catalog, to import your master catalog.

Have a backup of your master catalog as I do not know if all data gets imported into the 'new'.

sorry, I don't understand - I can't get my iPhoto contents imported at all into any catalog, so how would I import from another catalog?

• 11. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

And I am sorry!- For advice about Export, when your post was about Import.

More thoughts- Are you using any Presets in the Import dialog.

There is mention of refreshing the Presets folders in \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom  at this old thread. Re: ?:0: attempt to index a nil value | Lightroom Forums

Is it also possible that Lightroom is extracting copies of all your images from the iPhoto library 120Gb, and trying to paste them into new folders visible to Lightroom in the available 80Gb of space?  As mentioned by mlevin7777 in Post#8 above.-Not enough space.

• 12. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                mlevin7777 Level 1

>  Are you using any Presets in the Import dialog.

the import dialog (this is the iPhoto import plugin, not the "Import" option) doesn't have any presets that I can see; also I'm trying this with the stock installation of Lightroom - I hadn't created or messed with any presets yet, just installed and tried to import as my first action.

> Is it also possible that Lightroom is extracting copies of all your images from the iPhoto library 120Gb, and trying to paste them into new folders visible to Lightroom in the available 80Gb of space?

no, because 1) I have the destination set as a different disk with plenty of room, and 2) it's not extracting anything, it immediately gives the error (not after trying to write a bunch of files).

• 13. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                  Abambo Level 4

May be it would help to do a test on a smaller database first! And be careful and have a back-up of your data, just in case of.

My programming experience suggests this:

The error "An internal error has occurred. ?.0: attempt to index a nil value" sounds a lot to me as a data inconsistency, a programming error (due to data inconsistencies or interpretation problems) or an outdated plug-in. Scratch space could also be a problem, but I hope that such ones are being taken care of.

Is there any possibility to do a consistency check on the database?

Also: Could you try this on a second OS X system? As the data is on an external disk and Lightroom may be installed on more computers (or using the trial version), you just need a friend nearby with a similar config...

• 14. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                    mlevin7777 Level 1

> Is there any possibility to do a consistency check on the database?

The database has already been rebuilt for consistency.

> Also: Could you try this on a second OS X system? As the data is on an external disk and Lightroom may be installed on more computers (or using the trial version), you just need a friend nearby with a similar config...

great idea. So I tried, but how do I activate Lightroom CC on another machine? I tried using the same code I got from Adobe when I bought Lightroom, and it told me "this code has already been redeemed". Surely I can use the product I bought on more than 1 machine? How do I get it installed in another OS X system?

• 15. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                      Abambo Level 4
                                      1. An Adobe licence is good for 2 machines.
                                      2. For a test like this, I would use the trial version. It's fully functional.
                                      3. CC is a floating license. If you have exhausted your 2 activations, you may disable one, and activate on a third computer, or you redeem the 2 activated licenses. That means that the former installs will not run the product anymore. But that is not a problem, as you can reclaim the license at any time for a given machine.
                                      • 16. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                        mlevin7777 Level 1

> For a test like this, I would use the trial version. It's fully functional.

super! How do I get the trial?

> CC is a floating license. If you have exhausted your 2 activations, you may disable one, and activate on a third computer, or you redeem the 2 activated licenses. That means that the former installs will not run the product anymore. But that is not a problem, as you can reclaim the license at any time for a given machine.

excellent; I've only installed one activation. How do I get to this on the other machine - how do I connect to the 2nd license?

thank you!

• 17. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                          Abambo Level 4

Trial: Start Lightroom. If it is not licensed, it starts in 30days trial mode. May be you need to confirm the trial mode.

With only one license activated, you need only to enter your credentials (adobe user, password). You should find that under Help.

The code you tried to enter was probably a code you got, when buying the software from a third party seller to prove that the license has been paid. Otherwise, with Lightroom CC you do not need to enter codes, except your Adobe login data.

• 18. Re: error when importing: "?.0: attempt to index a nil value"
                                            mlevin7777 Level 1

Feierwoon wrote: try this on a second OS X system? As the data is on an external disk and Lightroom may be installed on more computers (or using the trial version), you just need a friend nearby with a similar config...

Just tried it; same exact error!