10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 9:15 AM by BeaglePup

Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import

BeaglePup

I'm baffled. Occasionally on import to Lightroom a few images are rotated by about 25 degrees. This can't be undone and I can't reimport the images since they are greyed out.

What could I be doing wrong to cause this please?

• 1. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
          dj_paige Level 9

Are you applying (perhaps accidentally) a preset at import?

What happens if you click on the Reset button in the Develop Module?

• 2. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
            richardplondon Level 4

If this is happening variably to different pictures, it may be that you have got one of the Upright options (such as, Level) set to be applied on arrival - either this is happening in your Camera Defaults, or else as dj_paige suggests, in a Preset which is applied at Import. This function examines the content of each picture in turn, and reaches a unique judgement for each one. So it is characteristic to see unique corrections, different per image, that you were perhaps not expecting .

If it's happening due to a user-customised Camera Default the solution would be to Reset an affected image (setting everything back to starting settings), turn off Upright, and then re-save the camera defaults again.

If it's in a Preset the solution would be to change that preset un-ticking the Upright selection.

If you are getting the exact same angle happening on only some pictures, it may be that this is a fixed setting applying for just one file type (either Raw or non-Raw) from just one camera - and that defaults for the other file type with that camera and for other cameras, are not applying this.

Finally, if there has been some other activity with the image before import to LR, it is remotely possible that some pre-existing metadata is getting interpreted and used by LR at import time - either applied by the camera or by some other software (ACR / Bridge metadata would definitely have attention paid to it).

• 3. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
              BeaglePup Level 1

Unfortunately nothing happens when I click Reset.

• 4. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                Jim Wilde Level 5

Hold down the Shift key and the Reset button changes to "Reset (Adobe)", click on that button. Does the image change now?

• 5. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                  BeaglePup Level 1

Brilliant. Thank you.

Yes, that solves it.

Now I need to discover why it happens in the first place.

• 6. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                    Jim Wilde Level 5

It means that you've inadvertently changed the Adobe develop defaults to include that rotation. To fix this, go to the Develop menu>Set Default Settings>Restore Adobe Default Settings. That will correct things for all subsequent imports, but for all the already imported files with that problem you'll need to do that "Reset (Adobe)".

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                      BeaglePup Level 1

The issue hasn't gone away. I have just imported 680 images from three different memory cards and just 15 images have some small rotation, up to 20 degrees. Some are left, some right rotated.

I'm confident that I don't have any Presets set and anyway I've reset the Develop menu to restore the Adobe defaults. I have no Upright options set.

I have previously downloaded the images to my iPad when traveling and modified some of them on the iPad but there's no obvious link between those I've modified on the iPad and the small rotation on import into Lightroom.

Now that i know I can reset using the Shift and Reset to Reset(Adobe) i can easily correct those few but it is a mystery why this happens.

• 8. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                        Jim Wilde Level 5

Check your Preferences settings, on the Presets tab....you can elect to set new defaults specific to a camera serial number and/or a camera ISO setting. Then when you reset the defaults back to the Adobe defaults using the Develop menu, I think they too are only reset for the camera serial number and/or an ISO setting.

So maybe that's what's happening here, so check those two settings. If either of them are selected, uncheck them then click on the "Reset all default Develop settings" button on the same Presets tab and hopefully that'll permanently fix the problem.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                          BeaglePup Level 1

Thanks again for a very swift response. Yes, they were checked. Now unchecked and reset so I will be looking hopefully at my next large import on Saturday night.

• 10. Re: Unwanted 25 degree rotation on import
                            BeaglePup Level 1

That did it! Very many thanks. Just imported 222 images without any small rotations. And, with those boxes checked, Reset works without seeing the shift key.