5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 5:58 PM by Geobop

Importing One Image

Geobop Level 1

I've learned how to import folders full of images into Lightroom, but what's the best way to import a single image?

If I select a folder, click "Import," then navigate to a folder on my hard drive and select an image, it imports every image in the folder. So it isn't clear to me how to import just one image.

Also, is there a way to create an image in Photoshop and save it into a Lightroom folder, so it's instantly recognized by Lightroom? Or do I have to save it elsewhere on my hard drive, then import it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Importing One Image
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Find the folder the image is in and import that image. If the folder is already in the LR catalog, it is listed in the Folders area of the Library module, right click on that folder and select Synchronize folder. If there are new images in that folder the import dialog will come up. If there are other images in that folder that you do not want to import just Un-Check them in the import dialog window. Then click the import button on the bottom right of that dialog.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing One Image
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a way to set up an auto import folder. I have never used the feature and don't know how to use it. If you do a search in the help system you'll probably be able to find it. In my opinion, the most efficient way to work in the Lightroom is to import all of your images first, and then turn to Photoshop when needed.

• 3. Re: Importing One Image
              mark-heaps Adobe Community Professional

Two parts here.

One, if you drag an image file into LR it loads that directory the image was in. Although it creates a preview of all the images in that directory you dragged from, only the image you dragged should be checked. Which means you can import that single image. If all the images are checked. Simply click on  Uncheck All at the bottom of the window and then single click on the check-box above the  image you want to import.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 12.55.25 AM.png

Coincidentally if you have that directory up in LR and you didn't drag and drop. Right click on any thumbnail and an option for "Import This" appears.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 12.57.38 AM.png

Ok, now on to Part 2.

If you open your images as Smart Objects from Lightroom into Photoshop, then when you choose to save the PSD file it will automatically save back to the catalog the source image was in within that LR directory. But, if it's not. See the image above it also says "Show In Finder". That shows you the directory for where an image in your catalog is. Save it there, and that directory should now show the PSD file. If that doesn't work, do the drag and drop trick. It works just the same. Then you can move it around your various catalogs or start a collection for PSD files.
              Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.00.30 AM.png

Good luck!

mark-heaps

• 4. Re: Importing One Image
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Geobop wrote:

I've learned how to import folders full of images into Lightroom, but what's the best way to import a single image?

If I select a folder, click "Import," then navigate to a folder on my hard drive and select an image, it imports every image in the folder. So it isn't clear to me how to import just one image.

That's because Lightroom is designed to manage your photos, not just process them one at a time like Photoshop, and what it calls "import" really means "register" or "catalogue". To get the most out of Lightroom, don't pick and choose which photos to import - import them all.

• 5. Re: Importing One Image
                  Geobop Level 1

I see. However, I did import them all when I first started using Lightroom. But I have to add new images as I acquire them.