4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 11:36 AM by Szalam

Opening an AfterEffects Project Crashes Computer

nathanoday Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've been having a hard time with AfterEffects CC 2015.3. When I try to open a project, the screen will freeze for about 5 seconds (no mouse movement or anything), and then I will lose my video signal entirely. The only way to get it back is to hard reboot my computer. It seems like a graphics card crash to me, but the graphics card does absolutely fine when playing games, or using other programs like Adobe Premiere, and the crashing is limited to when I'm using AfterEffects only.

My hardware configuration is as follows:

- AM3+ MSI motherboard with a 6-core AMD FX6350 3.9GHz processor

- Windows 10 64-bit, home edition

- MSI AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card with 2GB DDR5 video memory

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- Windows and programs installed on SSD reading media from HDD with plenty of space on both

- All drivers and software are up to date

Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue? It's a real bummer that it causes me to lose complete control of my computer by essentially knocking out the graphics card.

• 1. Re: Opening an AfterEffects Project Crashes Computer
          nathanoday Level 1

Interesting discovery. I created a test project, saved it, closed it, and then opened it again to see if my graphics card would crash the same way as it does with a previously created project and it does not. It is fine. The difference with the other project that is crashing my graphics card is that it has been opened on my MacBook. Is it possible that there is some as-of-yet undiscovered bug causing graphics failures on Windows machines attempting to open projects edited on MacOS? That is the only discernable difference between the projects.

• 2. Re: Opening an AfterEffects Project Crashes Computer
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been using project files between Mac and Windows without issue so far.

What effects or plugins are used in the project you're trying to open?

Try creating a blank test project on your Mac and see if you experience the same issue.

• 3. Re: Opening an AfterEffects Project Crashes Computer
              nathanoday Level 1

Szalam, thanks for your response. There are no plugins in my project, and the only effect is a simple keyframe animation using the puppet tool. I was able to successfully import the project into another project created on my PC, and after that the project was usable, but I still can't directly open the project in Windows that was created on Mac. I did receive a message upon importing the Mac-created project that said "the output module is not available. default output module has been reset." I imagine that has to do with the MOV wrapper from Mac that is native to that environment.

• 4. Re: Opening an AfterEffects Project Crashes Computer
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, I'm glad you got it working! Not sure what the issue could be. Odd things like that have happened with AE project files every since I can remember - and I've been working with AE for over a decade!