7 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2006 4:47 AM by Eric_Guesdon

RemoteObject Destination configuration problem

aejazm
      Hi,

I have created a very simple 2 state mxml file(attached below) where you submit a name which is passed to a RemoteObject which appends "Welcome " to the input string & returns the whole string back.

The java class which does this is,

package samples.SimpleRemoteObject;
      public class Echo {

public Echo(){
      }
      public String getString(String str){
      return "Welcome " + str ;
      }
      }

I have added the following to flex-remoting-service.xml under
      c:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex,

<destination id="EchoString">
      <properties>
      <source>samples.SimpleRemoteObject.Echo</source>
      </properties>
      </destination>

The <default-channels> & <adapters> definition was already there.

I also put Echo.class under C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\classes\samples\SimpleRemoteObject.

After Tomcat(v5.5.9) is started, it correctly loads the initial page
      at http://localhost:8080/flex/SimpleRemoteObject/SimpleRemoteObject.html
      but after I click on submit, I always get "Error: Unknown destination 'EchoString'". I have tried renaming the destination names but there is no change in behavior.

Please let me know what am I doing wrong. All the samples are running fine
      though. This is my first attempt on doing something with Flex.

Thanks,
      Aejaz

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:Application xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" xmlns="*" layout="absolute">
      <mx:Script>
      <![CDATA[
      import mx.rpc.events.*;
      import mx.collections.*;
      import mx.controls.*

private function getNameHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
      {
      Result.text = event.result.toString();
      currentState='TargetState';
      }

private function faultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void
      {
      Alert.show(event.fault.faultstring, "Error");
      }
      ]]>
      </mx:Script>
      <mx:states>
      <mx:State name="TargetState">
      <mx:RemoveChild child="{button1}"/>
      <mx:RemoveChild child="{formInput}"/>
      <mx:RemoveChild child="{label1}"/>
      <mx:AddChild position="lastChild">
      <mx:Label x="99" y="130" width="265" height="28" id="Result"/>
      </mx:AddChild>
      </mx:State>
      </mx:states>

<mx:RemoteObject id="SendStringBack" destination="EchoString" showBusyCursor="true" fault="faultHandler(event)">
      <mx:method name="getString" result="getNameHandler(event)">
      <mx:arguments>
      <str>
      {formInput.text}
      </str>
      </mx:arguments>
      </mx:method>
      </mx:RemoteObject>
      <mx:TextInput x="119" y="129" id="formInput"/>
      <mx:Button x="119" y="170" label="Submit" fontSize="13" id="button1" click="SendStringBack.getString.send()"/>
      <mx:Label x="119" y="86" text="What is your name ?" width="160" fontSize="15" id="label1"/>
      </mx:Application>
      Text
        • 1. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
          inlineblue Level 1
          Did you add the compiler argument?

-services c:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-remoting-service.xml

under Project -> Properties -> Flex Compiler
          • 2. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
            aejazm Level 1
            Thanks for your reply. The value present in the "Additional compiler arguments" field is,

-services "C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml"

when I change it to,

-services "C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-remoting-service.xml"

I start getting,

exception 'java.lang.RuntimeException' while setting variable 'compiler.services'. It seems that the only value allowed is
            "C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml". I tried putting,

"C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml;C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\W EB-INF\flex\flex-remoting-service.xml"

it gave me "Unable to open C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml;C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\W EB-INF\flex\flex-remoting-service.xml

Please let me know what does setting,

-services "C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-remoting-service.xml"

do & can't it be done manually.

Thanks,
            Aejaz
            • 3. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
              inlineblue Level 1
              You'll get that exception if the services xml file is not formatted properly. The current parser is not very stable I guess. I think you should modify the original flex-enterprise-services.xml file to include your new destination and use that for the compiler.
              • 4. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
                CathyM
                The -services option should always point to the top level configuration file which is flex-enterprise-services.xml.

-services "C:\tomcat\webapps\flex\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml"

If you open up flex-enterprise-services.xml, you'll see that you can point to additional configuration files using the 'service-include' xml tag. In the case of the default application, this already includes flex-remoting-service.xml. flex-remoting-service.xml is only a subset of the configuration information required by the compiler and cannot be used separately.
                • 5. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
                  tkoontz
                  has this issue been resolved? ...... I am having a similar problem, but am getting the following error:

Channel.Connect.Failed error NetConnection.Call.Failed: HTTP: Status 404

Because the uri for the RO destination channel (my-amf) is parsing without the context.root:

http://localhost:8000//messagebroker/amf

perhaps you are having a similar problem. Please let me know, thanks.
                  • 6. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
                    CathyM Level 1
                    > Because the uri for the RO destination channel (my-amf) is parsing without the context.root:

> http://localhost:8000//messagebroker/amf

If you're compiling from the command-line, be sure that you specify the context root using -context.root /samples.
                    This may also be configured in flex-config.xml, if using.
                    • 7. Re: RemoteObject Destination configuration problem
                      Eric_Guesdon
                      Hi,

I meet the same problem. But if i publish my project undex samples webapps it works.
                      So i compared both webapp (/flex and /samples) the major difference is in flex-enterprise-service.xml.
                      I set <security-constraint> in comment and...it works

Wish it can help you

Best regards

Eric