6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 12:10 PM by BarbBinder

Where is this toolbar?

noachav

I upgraded recently to the newest version of InDesign. I found to my dismay that two of the features I expected from the top bar were no longer present: the vertical justification tool for contents of text-boxes and the justification tool for when editing text. Below is an image (derived from here <https://aliceeaton1305640.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/screen-shot-2015-02-17-at-14-39-40.p ng>) which shows the former toolbar, as well as those which border it for the former. I'm less worried about the latter because I can use the ¶ tool for that.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 8.12.35 AM.png

• 1. Re: Where is this toolbar?
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Those buttons will be visible when you have the Selection tool active (the black arrow) and a text frame selected.InDesign CCss_025.png

However, the InDesign interface now has bigger buttons/more space between them and they may have "fallen off" the right edge of your screen. Setting your monitor to a higher resolution will help, as will using a wide screen monitor.

The commands you are looking for can be found in Object > Text Frame Options in the meantime.

• 2. Re: Where is this toolbar?
            noachav Level 1

I am aware of using the selection tool. How would I get these bits to be visible on a 13" laptop (MacBook Pro) display?

• 3. Re: Where is this toolbar?

Start with the monitor resolution—increasing the resolution will allow more buttons to display. If not, you can hide other buttons on the Control panel to make room:

• Click the Control panel menu > Customize (the menu is the right of the lightnening bolt in our screen shots, above)
              • Uncheck buttons in the Object category

InDesign CCss_026.png

• 4. Re: Where is this toolbar?

As a heads up, HiDPI displays are increasingly common in our industry and Adobe is addressing them with this part of the 2015.4 upgrade.

Fonts and icons are larger and crisper, panels are less cluttered, and dialog boxes are easier to read.

Great for HiDPI displays, not so great for low resolution displays, as you are learning.

• 5. Re: Where is this toolbar?
                  noachav Level 1

Retina Displays are technically hiDPI, as you reference them (I had never heard the term before), so I'm surprised by what's lacking.

• 6. Re: Where is this toolbar?

Retina screens are most definately high-res, but you didn't mention it so I didn't want to make any assumptions.

13" laptop (MacBook Pro) display

The Native resolution of a 13.3" macbook is: 2560 by 1600 pixels (Retina). My 15" is running at 1920 x 1200 in the screen shot above and I'm showing the entire Control Panel along with a bit of empty space on the side. Did you get around to checking your resolution?