3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 2:36 AM by dj_paige

How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?

richardp37261502 Level 1

I made the mistake of copying (not moving) about 3000 nef and xmp files from a disorganized filing system to my normal filing system created in windows. I sent the disorganized files to the recycle bin and now I get the message  ”file associated with another photo in catalog…each photo can only be associated with one photo”.

How do I get Lr to recognize the nef and xmp files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?

I also backed up my files on an external hard drive….will I have the same problem with these files?

• 1. Re: How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?
          dj_paige Level 9
          I made the mistake of copying (not moving) about 3000 nef and xmp files from a disorganized filing system to my normal filing system created in windows. I sent the disorganized files to the recycle bin and now I get the message  ”file associated with another photo in catalog…each photo can only be associated with one photo”.

Please state the exact steps you used. Leave nothing out. Please state clearly if each step is in Lightroom or your operating system or somewhere else.

How do I get Lr to recognize the nef and xmp files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?

I think we need a better explanation from what is happening.

I also backed up my files on an external hard drive….will I have the same problem with these files?

These might bail you out of this problem ... but don't do anything with them yet until we understand better what is going on.

• 2. Re: How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?
            richardp37261502 Level 1

Thanks for answering my question. The problem is Lr is only recognizing the discarded files and not the copied files which are organized. Lr is telling me it will only recognize ONE file (the original) but it won't tell me how to transfer the recognition to the one in an organized system. Presently Lr can not find the old file but will not accept the duplicate in its place.

To: Richard Peterson <hipt93@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:09 PM

Subject:  How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?

How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

I guess I don't see why this is a problem. You discarded the original location files that Lightroom isn't using; you did not discard the copied files that Lightroom will be using. So something else must have happened here, can you please explain EXACTLY what you did in A LOT more detail? Please state the exact steps you used. 

I think we need a better explanation from what is happening. 

These might bail you out of this problem ... but don't do anything with them yet until we understand better what is going on. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8860081#8860081 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8860081#8860081 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 3. Re: How do I get Lr to recognize files in my new filing system and remove the association to the original photos?
              dj_paige Level 9

Repeating my earlier request

Please state the exact steps you used. Leave nothing out. Please state clearly if each step is in Lightroom or your operating system or somewhere else.