7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 9:35 PM by johnFlashStuffs

vcam not showing on conversion to mp4

johnFlashStuffs Level 1

Hi all.

I'm using flash cc, as3. I've tried several different vcams, all of which are as3 vcams. They work properly within the flash cc program itself, both in the time line  and the "test movie" playback. However, when I convert the .swf file to mp4 the vcam layer is not present; the mp4 file renders as though the vcam does not exist, showing the entire stage for the full duration of the playback.

The vcam layer properties lists it as a movie clip symbol. I can't help but feel that there must be some small detail I'm missing.  Please advise.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you're exporting an animation, you most likely would tell it to export to the last frame. If you're exporting something that is code driven, you would export for a given amount of time.

You said that you convert the swf to mp4, how are you doing that? You should be using File/Export/Export Video...

• 2. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4
            johnFlashStuffs Level 1

Sorry, Nevermind.  I just found some advice online to try Swivel and that did the trick for me.  The vcam successfully converts/transfers over to the mp4 format when I use that program.

• 3. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4
              johnFlashStuffs Level 1

Hi Colin.  I just noticed your response.  Thanks.  I was using on-line converters.  When prompted to upload the video for conversion, I would select the .swf file which automatically saves after pressing ctrl+enter to perform the "test movie" option. 

Ohh wait, I've just tried what you suggested, by exporting the file as a video and it saved as a .mov file (though I got a dialog box warning that I may need to install media encoder).  Still, it's progress from what I had been experiencing.  I don't know why I didn't notice that option before.  I think I'd been exporting it as a movie which gives me the options to save as .swf, .png, .gif etc so I would save it as .swf since that was the closest to what I wanted, and then find alternative means to convert that to .mp4.  Anyway, perhaps I was just focusing too intensely to see all the relevant options.

AHHHH! The export to video option includes a small dialog box on where to export the video and, by default uses a .mov extension, so I tried changing it to .mp4 extension and it worked, too!  It saved as mp4 exactly as the timeline indicates.   Problem solved!  I don't actually need swivel or on-line converters!  What a relief.

Thanks for your response, Colin.

• 4. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4

What you said about changing to .mp4 is interesting. You should test carefully whether that works, you will get away with that on Mac and using QuickTime Player, but Windows may not be able to process a MOV that has just had its name changed.

BTW, put this into frame 1 of your timeline, it will improve the quality a lot:

stage.quality = "best";

• 5. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4
                  johnFlashStuffs Level 1

Hmmm, ok thanks for the advice, but, I've only been learning flash for the past two weeks.  From my point of view, every layer has a first frame.  Are you referring specifically to the vcam layer when suggesting I add this bit of code to the first frame?  Also, how would I go about adding it?

Regarding changing the .mov extension to .mp4 when exporting the video, I tried playing it back in a media player and it looked fine, except, the file is HUGE; it saved as nearly 200mb!  When I converted it using Swivel it saved as 8.5 mb (the file is roughly 16 seconds of play time with 6 layers).  I'm not sure why flash saves it as such a huge file.  The quality looked the same to me.

• 6. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4

In your main timeline, make a new layer. Click on the first frame cell, and find the Actions panel. Put the code I gave into there. That will do.

Flash exports an 'Animation' codec video file. It's perfect quality, but what you would put online would most likely be H.264 codec. You can use either Adobe Media Encoder, or the online converter you found, the quality will hopefully be similar.

But in any case, you helped prove that renaming wasn't a good solution.

• 7. Re: vcam not showing on conversion to mp4
                      johnFlashStuffs Level 1

Okay I've followed your instructions.  Thanks for the help, Colin.