6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 5:12 AM by mitkroy

Paragraph style results in wrong color.

mitkroy

I've created a paragraph style titled 'Heading' with text colored blue.

All works fine on the first page of my document.

But when I create a new text box on the 2nd page and write some text, then format it with the 'Heading' paragraph style the text is black.

The only way I can get it to switch to blue is to create a Character style from the Heading text on the first page, then apply that character style to the text on page 2.  Then the paragraph style works as expected on subsequent pages as well.

Seems like a bug, or am I missing something?

(I'm using CS2).

• 1. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

You don't want to use a Character Style on an entire paragraph. I'd suggest starting by selecting both heads, and Alt/Option click on [None] at the top of the Character Styles panel to remove any character styles.

Then, put your cursor in the blue heading and right click over the Heading paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles panel and click on Redefine Style. This will update the style definition and the other head should follow along.

• 2. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like there is a local override being applied by default. When you create a new text frame , add some text, and click the heading style is there a plus sign after the style name?

• 3. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
              mitkroy Level 1

Thanks for your helps.  I'm away until Monday and I think I need to spend a little bit of time with this before replying.  (I'm just learning Indesign). 

I'll post again as soon as I've had a chance to look at this properly..

• 4. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
                mitkroy Level 1

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction -  I've had a chance to spend a bit of time with this now..

I think the problem was that I had default paragraph and character styles selected which had conflicting colors.

After I reset the default character style to [None] the problem disappeared.

I found this article very helpful:

http://indesignsecrets.com/fixing-unwanted-default-formatting.php

and from this article, these two points seem especially important:

1. Keeping default styles for paragraph and character style to [Basic Paragraph] and [None].

2. To avoid accidentally resetting the default style - rather than double clicking a style to edit it, instead right clicking and choosing edit "style" from the contextual menu.

Hope I got all that right..

• 5. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
                  BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

You don't want to use a Character Style on an entire paragraph. I'd suggest starting by selecting both heads, and Alt/Option click on [None] at the top of the Character Styles panel to remove any character styles.

Removing the character style was the first step.

As you move forward, create intentional paragraph styles (ie, Head1, Head2, Body, List) in lieu of using the basic paragraph style. And remember that character styles are intended for formatting text strings within a paragraph. Paragraph styles are used to format entire paragraphs. Things go downhill when you assign a character style to an entire paragraph, and that's why removing the character style got you back on track.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Paragraph style results in wrong color.
                    mitkroy Level 1

Thanks Barbinder, yes I've already started doing that.  I think that's what got me in a mess because I was experimenting with creating various paragraph and character styles in my document, but didn't know the rules as you've described above.