8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 12:18 AM by Abambo

Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions

KevenA Level 1

I am setting up my Wacom graphics tablet for Lightroom. I have two questions.

1. Is there a way to assign custom keyboard shortcuts, like you can do in Photoshop (Shift+Alt+Cmd+K option)? If not, is there any third-party/plugin to make this work?

2. I am trying to assign the brush size shortcuts to my wheel. These are already assigned by default. They are "Cmd+[" and "Cmd+]" (if I remember correctly). This is fine, but since the square brackets are behind the 9 and 0 keys, the Wacom key assignment records them as "Cmd+Alt+9" and "Cmd+Alt+0" (instead of "Cmd+[" and "Cmd+]").

Is there a way to fix this, or any other way to change the brush size and feathering?

Regards.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

As far as I can tell the Brush size for most all functions is already set to the wheel. Also on my system, Win 7, all you use is the [ & ] keys, no Cmd key, to raise or lower the brush size.

There is no keyboard shortcut customization in LR. You could try Keyboard Tamer.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
            KevenA Level 1

Ah, yes. That is probably correct. I didn't have the right keys, but the same thing applies. The square brackets are behind the 9 and 0 keys, but Wacom settings module records them as Alt+9 and Alt+0, which doesn't work when turning the wheel button. Maybe the wheel presets have the brush size. Will check in a few moments.

Thanks for Keyboard Tamer. Do you if it works for Lightroom CC?

Regards.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
              JoeKostoss Level 4

The bracket keys for brush size are the square brackets; they are on their own keys just to the right of the P key.  They are not the brackets behind the 9 and 0.  The square brackets can be easily programed into the tablet.

Screenshot 2016-07-07 08.30.10.png

And yes, it does work for Lightroom CC.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
                KevenA Level 1

Ah, okay. It didn't work because I didn't have a US English keyboard layout (but now with Keyboard Tamer, I can change it to whatever I want).

Joe, thank you for introducing me to Keyboard Tamer! Just bought the full version.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
                  Abambo Level 4

There is (apparently, I  did not try yet) a possibility to change the keyboard shortcuts.

There are some shortcuts like "\" that simply do not work on all keyboards, as they need the AltGr modifier key.

For this, you need to edit the TranslatedStrings.txt for this. More details are found by googling the TranslatedStrings-keyword.

You will find articles like this one:

All Valid Lightroom Shortcuts for TranslatedStrings.txt - Digital Photography How To

• 6. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
                    KevenA Level 1

Just Shoot Me wrote:

There is no keyboard shortcut customization in LR. You could try Keyboard Tamer.

I bought Keyboard Tamer. I tested it out and found out there is not much you can do other than add shortcuts to functions that don't have one and to change only a few already assigned shortcuts. Is this your experience as well?

Regards.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I don't use that program. I just linked to it as that is all I could find with a Google search.

Unlike PS most all LR keyboard shortcuts are Hard Wired into the program.

I personally don't find I need to change or add KB shortcuts in LR.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts: 2 Questions
                        Abambo Level 4

Just Shoot Me wrote:

Unlike PS most all LR keyboard shortcuts are Hard Wired into the program.

They are not hardwired, at least not in the latest versions. As you have different keyboard lay-outs for different languages, this would obviously pose a problem to Adobe to localize the software.

Just Shoot Me wrote:

I personally don't find I need to change or add KB shortcuts in LR.

You would, if you would use a non-American keyboard, as I do. As an example, on my Luxembourgish (equivalent Swiss) keyboard, I cannot use the "\" shortcut. Lightroom loads its shortcuts according to its language. A German Lightroom loads German keyboard-shortcuts for example. I can't use them as I'm having a Swiss keyboard...

In Illustrator, I can reconfig the keyboard shortcuts so that they work. I can't do that easily in Lightroom.

As in old IBM times: It's a feature, not a bug!