15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 7:53 AM by Abambo

Intel hd 5500

arendv61116489

Is the Intel hd 5500 sufficient for Lightroom?

• 1. Re: Intel hd 5500
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The most important is a fast CPU, followed by a SSD and at least 8GB of RAM.

The GPU acceleration is really needed only if you have a high resolution display like 4k or alike.

The HD5500 is compatible, however, I'd not expect a performance boost.

Read more here: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

• 2. Re: Intel hd 5500
            BKKDon Level 4

You need to state your operating system and dedicated vRAM for the gpu. Lightroom requires 1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM) and 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.

If you look on fururemark you can see what the rating for the Intel 5500 is.

• 3. Re: Intel hd 5500

In addition to my previous answer:

I'm using a PC with a i7-4790 CPU and I am using the internal HD4600. There is virtually no difference in speed on my 1920 x 1200 display whether I turn GPU acceleration on or off.

• 4. Re: Intel hd 5500
                Abambo Level 4

Short answer: YES.

Long answer: depends on the rest of your config. Lightroom will work fine on a decent computer. Most of the time, Lightroom is shuffling data from the disk into memory. Rarely speed is enhanced by using the internal graphic power, either because there are only few operations involved or the overhead for GPU processing is too high.

The only problem I see in your question (configuration) is: Standard Intel graphic configuration comes normally with low end computers. Other components (memory, disk, screen) are probably more of a limiting factor. Look at those first.

• 5. Re: Intel hd 5500

The only problem I see in your question (configuration) is: Standard Intel graphic configuration comes normally with low end computers. Other components (memory, disk, screen) are probably more of a limiting factor. Look at those first.

Depends. I have HP Z Workstation with all the finest components (at the time I bought it) and did skip on the additional graphic card for my usage at that time.

I actually still don't see the need for a dedicated GPU wit my setup and usage.

• 6. Re: Intel hd 5500
                    Abambo Level 4

Then it's great... Memory and disk access will be more of a limiting factor. SSD and 8Gb of RAM will help.

• 7. Re: Intel hd 5500

I have a HP Z Turbo Drive and 16GB DDR2-1600 RAM .... and I am very happy with this rig.

• 8. Re: Intel hd 5500
                        Abambo Level 4

You're great then. You could try Lightroom on that machine. I doubt, that a newer and stronger GPU will help with Lightroom. Only (Adobe) software I know, that takes a knock out on graphics performance when not using the 3D-side of the graphics, is Premiere. But I do not have a 4k+ Screen!  

• 9. Re: Intel hd 5500

You're mixing up something, me and the OP ..

I'm not the OP .. I gave advice to the OP and responded to your posting about low end computers due to only having an internal Intel HD GPU.

.... never mind

• 10. Re: Intel hd 5500
                            Abambo Level 4

Yes, sorry. But I suppose, that your configuration is decent enough for fluid working. And that's what I would assume with any machine with enough memory (Lightroom only should be happy with 8Gb+) and disk space.

• 11. Re: Intel hd 5500
                              dj_paige Level 9

No one has mentioned the CPU, and that's an important aspect in determining the speed of your Lightroom operations. But since we don't know what size images the OP is using, or what size monitor he has, or anything else about his work, this thread so far is all speculation.

• 12. Re: Intel hd 5500

dj_paige schrieb:

No one has mentioned the CPU, and that's an important aspect in determining the speed of your Lightroom operations.

I did in my very first sentence

• 13. Re: Intel hd 5500
                                  dj_paige Level 9

F. McLion wrote:

dj_paige schrieb:

No one has mentioned the CPU, and that's an important aspect in determining the speed of your Lightroom operations.

I did in my very first sentence

Hmmm ... I stand corrected.

• 14. Re: Intel hd 5500

Yep. I bet I'd not see any difference if I reduce the RAM to 8GB.

• 15. Re: Intel hd 5500
                                      Abambo Level 4

No one has mentioned the CPU

...and splitting hair, the OP did not ask that one!

...so the answer to the OP's question is yes! You can always put your but behind!