11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 12:03 AM by NovakMiler

360 Stereo Stitching plugins?

NovakMiler Level 1

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what Adobe has planned for the VR industry.

I cannot find anything for After Effects that allows for stitching of 360 footage but the jobs I have worked on this year have been increasingly more frequent.

I know that Nuke has a coulple of plugins like Cara VR that allows you to stabilize and stitch and comp.

Any info would be apreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Since it's all the latest fashion/ fad, it stands to reason that the updates for Cinema 4D, mocha and AE later that year will have some such features just to be hip. Otherwise at this point Mettle's VR tools and RevisionFX' RE:Lens are pretty much the only real option other than whatever you can come up with yourself or what may exist as expressions and scripts out there. There may of course be any number of other tools I'm not aware of, so do a bit of checking around. It's most definitely not as dire as you make it sound.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
            NovakMiler Level 1

I dont think I made it sound 'dire', I was simply asking if Adobe has anything planned that I'm not aware of.

I wouldn't consider a multi billion dollar indusrty as a fad or something to be to be hip with, even though you clearly disagree.

Thanks anyways.

• 3. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

NovakMiler wrote:

I wouldn't consider a multi billion dollar indusrty as a fad or something to be to be hip with....

Multi BILLION?  Aw, c'mon!

I give it about the same life span as 3D TV.  Remember that flash in the pan a few years ago?

• 4. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hey, I like my 3d TV!

• 5. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

...not to mention all those hours and hours of  wonderful 3D content you can watch with it, right?

• 6. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's actually more than I thought there would be. Netflix has a bunch of 3d content.

But, yes, 3d hasn't taken hold as much as some people would like.

I'm not sure what I think about VR/360 content. I'm much, much more likely to pay attention to/interact with an ad on Facebook if I can swing my phone around to look at cool things, but I'm not the kind of person to buy a headset so I can experience VR media "properly".

• 7. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll guess the 3D that's available comes from Hollywood.  I can't see a lot of video production places getting into the act.

And sadly, the criterion a lot of people use for content is, "Can I watch it on my phone?".....

....while some production folks are knocking themselves out for perfection in 4K or bigger.

• 8. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                        NovakMiler Level 1

Yes sir!  Facebook alone has spent 2 billion just on the purchace of oculus:)

As for the whole "can I watch it on my phone?".....well, some phones are already 4K.  At the moment, resolution that you get on the Smasungs is pretty much on par with Oculus and Vive.  By the end of the year, we should see Samsung punting 4k phones that will be a huge step up with the Gear VR, and when that happens, quality of viewing something on your phone will be of higher quality than on something like the Oculus or Vive which are more suited for gaming anyways.

• 9. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                          Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

I was just wondering if anyone knew what Adobe has planned for the VR industry. I cannot find anything for After Effects that allows for stitching of 360 footage but the jobs I have worked on this year have been increasingly more frequent.

I have no idea what Adobe is planning for the VR industry but I can say that once the AE team wishes to reveal their plans, they'll say so on the AE blog! Adobe After Effects CC | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe 

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

NovakMiler wrote:

.....well, some phones are already 4K.

...and I expect the viewing experience is... well, not like what one gets on a 60-inch monitor.   A 4K screen on a phone?  It seems like overkill to me.

• 11. Re: 360 Stereo Stitching plugins?
                              NovakMiler Level 1

You will be pleasantly surprised at how immersive current phones perform with the Gear VR specifically.  There is hardly any difference between them and the head sets like the vive when you're specifically looking at pre-rendered content.  The limitation at the moment isnt the hardwarde or its resolution...its the h.264 codec which limits resolution and quality.  h.265 will change that.