11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 6:46 AM by Roei Tzoref

how to make text field change every 5 seconds?

brown565

Hi,

I'm planning on creating a 'movie credit' intro with a list of 50-100 names, one name at a time centered on the screen. Is there a script that will take words from a text file (or pasted text from a Word document into a comp), and break it up so that one name appears every 5 seconds or so? I'm trying to avoid typing it out every time and having 50+ text layers.

Thanks!

Craig

• 1. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6
          • Put your credits in a text editor document. 
          • Figure out your longest line of text.
          • Make a text layer.
          • Paste in the longest line in the desired typeface and type size.
          • Twirl down the text properties triangle on the text layer.
          • Make a keyframe on the Source Text property.
          • Go five seconds down the timeline.
          • Double-click on the text layer and paste in new text; you see the new text plus another Source Text keyframe.
          • Repeat as many times as necessary.

Don't forget to delete the first Source Text keyframe you made.  That was just there for composition purposes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
            brown565 Level 1

Thank you Dave, just tried it out and it works perfectly.  Greatly appreciated!

Now, if there were a better way to automate this using a script or plug-in, I'd be way overjoyed

• 3. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh, it's not that bad.  Once you have this drill down, you can easily do 100 text changes inside an hour.  I'd bet it would be less.

• 4. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
                brown565 Level 1

Sounds good, guess I'm just being lazy (haha) ...

• 5. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

there actually a preset called "BUZZ WORDS"

you type the text in the source text and you have a slider to control the frame rate.

I actually created a game for my students where in the beginning of the class I run an AE Project, and hit Preview - there are AE Terms we learned in previous lessons that are changing rapidly, then I ask a volunteer to say "when", and I hit the space bar to stop and the term appears - now they need to explain what that it means. I retouched the preset and made a precomp with all the text written like the screen capture below with all the terms and every week I add more just write them down in this comp on a regular text layer. the period is the break for the expression to go to the next word.

and the expression is linked to the master comp text layer with source text:

and this is my Master Comp where I run preview and when the student says stop - I click the space bar

here's how it looks:

buzzwords.gif

thanks to Chris Meyer for showing this preset in his tutorial on Lynda

The Buzz Words preset

• 6. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
                    brown565 Level 1

Nice!  Thanks Yooofi -- I was able to replicate what you created with my own text; the first line is centered in the comp, but drops down starting with the second name (see below) -- any idea what would cause this?

Comp 4.gif

Also, we are in process of getting a Lynda.com subscription, glad you gave them props in your post!

• 7. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?

Chris Meyer is one of the titans of After Effects I do recommend all his courses for anyone who want's to get under the hood of Ae. also on Lynda Mark Christiansen has brilliant tutorials on Compositing in Ae.

it's hard to tell without seeing a line of script or your setup. send the project file I will take a look it's probably a line break or a missing array (mine is period = . , yours could be different) not where it's supposed to be.

• 8. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
                        brown565 Level 1

Hey Yooofi, I thought I might have had extra lines in the source text, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I did use a period like you did, didn't notice anything odd or out of place there either.  Also, not sure if I can attach an AE file to this reply, so you mind sending me an e-mail to brown.565@osu.edu and I'll attach and send back to you?  Unless there's another way I'm overlooking?

thanks!

Craig

• 9. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?

Hi Craig. I now tried to do it again and remembered about this issue. I used to solve it by putting a line break before the first word but now I broke it down again and found a better idea! you learn by teaching and that't the truth

the solution is this:

in the master comp text layer (the one with the expression) set the leading to = 0

now it's fine.

let's try to keep this here for all who want the breakdown:

what I did was choose the Buzz Word Preset on my text which gave me this:

you can still work with this and change the "one", "two" etc. to the names. for me - I wanted more control and to keep it comfortable for change ( the expression field is small and you can mess things up because it's also a code) so I created a text layer inside a precomp and linked it's source text to the selected field after "buzz words =" by pickwhipping

now I can make the precomp not visible in the main comp.

In the main comp for the text layer I choose a sign to signify the split. it's default was "|" but mine was the "." (period) sign

now, in the precomp I write down the text with the sign at every ending of a word

and I don't put the sign after the last word.

now I got this:

123.gif

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?
                            brown565 Level 1

Great, thanks again Yooofi!  I added the empty line at the top of my text and that did solve the current issue -- it pushes all of the text down, easily solved by altering the position or anchor point.  For a new project, will try the method you discovered.  Again, thank you and take care!

Craig

• 11. Re: how to make text field change every 5 seconds?

you too! glad you nailed it.