3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 5:47 AM by trshaner

Lightroom CC overexposes imports from Olympus

kristint17742203

My RAW files (.ORF) imported into Lightroom CC from Olympus E-M5II are overexposed approx +1 -- not much. I can correct, but baffled as to why this happened -- and annoyed to have to correct. (Never had this problem with Canon and previous Lightroom 4 & 5.)  I shot RAW+JPG and the JPGs are correct (in Mac Preview).

1) Is this a result of some Lightroom preset I need to change? If so, what?

2) If I change Lightroom settings, can I get currently imported photos to "respond"? Or do I have to re-import all 1,000 photos? If so, what's the best way to do this?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC overexposes imports from Olympus
          richardplondon Level 4

As the other poster mentions, the reason particular settings are seen on first import to LR, depends on some variables:

• is this the factory supplied (Adobe) default processing relating to Raw files from that particular camera?
            (is this the same processing that you would see when you hold Shift and click on Reset button in Develop)
          • is this the result of user adjusted camera and Raw specific defaults that you may have saved?
            (is this the same processing that you see when you click on Reset button in Develop)
          • is this the result of some develop Preset which is getting called, among your current Import options?
          • in LR Preferences, Presets tab, under "default develop setting" do you have "Apply auto tone" checked?

In any of the above cases, you may then see a different position of the (e.g.) Exposure slider, than you would otherwise.

Another possible variable may be if a particular camera mode has been turned on, which has the purpose of modifying highlight dynamic range (manufacturers' names differ for such a function). This is a scheme whereby the actual exposure and/or ISO processing that is executed in the camera, gets altered on the basis that special compensatory processing will then follow, so as to deliver the needed image brightness at the end. The camera's internal JPG processing will properly interpret and allow for such a special scheme, but 3rd party Raw conversion cannot always be relied on to do so. In that case, even if the normal processing is applied, the end result of that processing would be affected.

IMO it is best when shooting primarily for Raw, to turn off any such special camera modes. Contrast and highlights etc can be managed in the normal way by LR. However, this is unlikely to be the issue here AFAICT, since such a scheme usually works by lowering the Raw values themselves - not by raising them.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC overexposes imports from Olympus
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kristint17742203 wrote:

My RAW files (.ORF) imported into Lightroom CC from Olympus E-M5II are overexposed approx +1 -- not much. I can correct, but baffled as to why this happened -- and annoyed to have to correct. (Never had this problem with Canon and previous Lightroom 4 & 5.) I shot RAW+JPG and the JPGs are correct (in Mac Preview).

How do those same JPG files look inside LR? You may need to change your LR Preferences to see them inside LR: