3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 4:37 PM by poodyglitz

Import A Single AE Composition

poodyglitz Level 1

I want to import a single composition from another After Effects files (along with its accompanying footage files). When I import, I brings in every element from the project being imported from. o intermediate dialogs came up when I selected the file. Is there a way to selectively import contents from another AE projects? I'd hate it if I had to import everything and delete what I don't need — my projects tend to have a huge number of elements.

Please advise. Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Import A Single AE Composition
          Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

after importing the aep project and use some elements in your comps.

Go to File -> dependencies -> Remove all unused footage

Go to File -> dependencies -> Reduce projects

* make sure to backup your file before.

lets know if that helps

• 2. Re: Import A Single AE Composition
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I don't know about a solution and wish someone could suggest somethings. sounds like there could be a script for this...

in the meantime I can suggest 2 workarounds I use:

1. import the project, drag what I want to where I want and then select the compositions I want keep and select Reduce Project, Consolidate and re-order things in my project window through a script or manually.

2. open another instance of Ae and select just the composition I want to keep and reduce project, then save. then I import this to my main instance of after effects where I need those assets imported to.

• 3. Re: Import A Single AE Composition
              poodyglitz Level 1

Selecting the composition and reducing the project works.

Thanks, guys!