7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 5:57 PM by wobertc

Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.

Tahosa640

I am printing a 13x19 picture and want to use a 3x3 cell format for a total of nine different pictures.  Is there a technique to 'zoom in' on

each individual picture in its cell to resize the picture individual after putting them into the template in the print module?It is a series of canines and I want to show them in relatively the same camera to subject distance, but they were taken at different distances as they are performing.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the present time,, there is no zoom feature in the print module. You might consider creating virtual copies of each photo and cropping as desired. Then use the virtual copies on the template.

• 2. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.
            Tahosa640 Level 1

Thank Jim.  Unfortunately, while cropping can help to some extent, it does not allow me the latitude to ensure the compositions remain at the same perspective.  I am not explaining this very well and I apologize, but with cropping I end up with the subject animals having different sizes in the pictures which is not the effect I want  (or I end up with the feet or tail missing).  Let say, for example, I want to create a page of portraits of just the faces of people and have each one be in the same relative size (like an old fashion school yearbook) or appear the same distance from the camera.  When taken, the camera to subject distances were different.  Is there a way with cropping and then adjusting the image size such that they will appear to be the same in each block.  How about in PS with the image size adjustment?  I have tried but have not found the solution yet.

• 3. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I think Jim's answer is the only way you can do what you ask in LR.

And it is very easy to make virtual copies, then crop exactly as you want them in the print.

(Perspective cannot be changed- that is set when the photo was taken.)

4 originals, and 4 virtual copies 'cropped'

ScreenShot251.jpg

The 4x4 print using the virtual copies-

ScreenShot252.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.
                Tahosa640 Level 1

Much appreciate the obvious effort you have made.  The challenge I have is that the subject of the ten pictures (championship winner canines 2 per year for 5 years) must  illustrate in the picture the entire dog (head and tail) as these are pointing breed champions.  When I crop the pictures to include the necessary head and tail of the canines on all ten pictures, at the same relative distance from the camera, the pictures in/in (dimensions) are not the same size, and therefore, are not equally sized 'pastes' into the template.  So the question becomes, can you make a template of multiple blocks such that when you drop a photograph into the block, it resizes to the dimensions of the template block without cropping the picture.  I am sure I am not saying this correctly, but it is almost a simultaneous combination of a zoom to fill and aspect ratio calculation.  I am wondering if I cannot crop as you suggested with virtual copies (or simply copies) to get the 'picture' I need, open in photoshop, create a custom image size for ten pictures that is the same (of course ppi will be different for each picture but I have more than sufficient file sizes so no degradation in print quality), save back to LR, and then drop them into the template.  I'll post this on the PS community forum and see if this is an option.  The pictures are not that far off, and I have some leeway with the subject/camera distance aspect, but have no leeway in terms of having the entire dog 'head to tail' in the photo.  I am not far off with each picture such that I should be able to re-size and 'nudge' the one(s) that don't exactly fit properly but adjusting the 'aspect ratio'  (I think) and get away with the dog not looking distorted.  Am I making any sense?

Again,  thanks so much for your very clear demonstration. 

• 5. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.

Do not concern yourself with in/in (dimensions). Lightroom can handle all that. And you cannot and should not adjust 'aspect ratio' in Photoshop- that WILL distort the photo. (Lightroom cannot do this anyway)

You seem to be making it more difficult that it needs to be. (or it sounds that way to me)

1. Crop all the virtual copy photos to the same ratio. If you want rectangles use 4:3 or similar, but crop EVERY photo with the same crop ratio - to include the heads and tails.

2. In the Print module set the cell size dimensions to be exactly the same ratio 4:3, then all your photos will exactly fill and fit the print cells.

A couple of screen-clips from you might help me give explanations.

In the situation where you have a rectangular photo where the dog 'fills' the frame head to toe, then there is no way to crop square 1:1 without losing head or tail. ScreenShot279.jpg

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.
                    Tahosa640 Level 1

Thank you.  As you suggested, I cropped the pictures and create the cells in the 13x19 template the same and it worked very well.  For the two in portrait mode, I went back to the shoot and was able to pull up two usable landscape orientations.  I did note in PS that there is a canvas orientation change as well as image size change feature.  Further, you can re-size photo's in a number of different way when exported from LR, and I found I did export them at the template size dimensions,. re-imported them into LR, and then dropped them into the template.  The export re-sizing option in LR is robust.

Again, thanks for helping me out.  Much appreciated.  Below is the final print.  GSCA National Field Champions 2011-2015 small.jpg

• 7. Re: Printing Template - Adjusting photo size within a template box.

Mark, Success- well done, looks great. You should be pleased.

For a final suggestion- I believe you do not need to use Photoshop at all. No need to export and re-import.

If you do a 13x19 crop in the Lightroom develop module, then that image will drop directly into the Contact Sheet template 13x19 cells. Lightroom automatically does any 're-sizing'.

1 person found this helpful