17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 4:09 PM by Koffee & Chalk Dust

Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....

Level 7
      I have a fade up and fade down from some text. So I have 4 keyframes .. the
      first is alpha=0% .. the second two are at 100% and the 4th at 0% .. and
      motion tweens between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.

If I press enter to preview in Flash .. it looks fine. But if I export a
      swf or Control/Test Movie .. the tweens don't work. Yes .. the text is a
      symbol .. yes .. I have done this many times without issue.

Why this time?

Thanks,
      Nancy

• 1. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
          Level 7
          No one knows? Dang .. I don't either. I have made similar tweens from
          symbols till the cows come home .. and this one doesn't work. I wish I knew
          why.

"Nancy *ACE*" <nancy@webwish.com> wrote in message
          news:e2j7rn$944$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a fade up and fade down from some text. So I have 4 keyframes ..
          >the first is alpha=0% .. the second two are at 100% and the 4th at 0% ..
          >and motion tweens between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.
          >
          > If I press enter to preview in Flash .. it looks fine. But if I export a
          > swf or Control/Test Movie .. the tweens don't work. Yes .. the text is a
          > symbol .. yes .. I have done this many times without issue.
          >
          > Why this time?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Nancy
          >
          >

• 2. I have two hours to solve this ...
            Level 7
            I even tried making a movie of just the text tween .. I have done this many
            many times .. no clue as to why it suddenly doesn't work.

Here are the steps:

create text .. place in the middle of a flash doc.
            convert to symbol .. graphic.
            create 4 keyframes on the timeline.
            KF 1 - alpha = 0%
            KF 2 - alpha = 100%
            KF 3 = alpha = 100%
            KF 4 - alpha = 0%

motion tween 1-2 and 3=4. That should go 0% to 100% .. then back down after
            staying live for 10 frames.

It doesn't work .. 100% appears in frame 10 with no tween .. same at the
            end.

WHY?
            It was a symbol .. it works when I hit enter to PLAY .. but not when I try
            control/test movie or export movie.

WHY?

I have to solve this in about 2 hours.

Thanks
            Nancy

• 3. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
              wilsean
              check to see if your text is dynamic..if it is embbed your characters.
              • 4. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                Level 7
                that doesn't work .. I made it a symbol .. if I dont' .. I don't have the
                option to make the alpha 0% .. right?

Nancy

"wilsean" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e2jcef$erj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > check to see if your text is dynamic..if it is embbed your characters.

• 5. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                  Level 7
                  Nancy,

>> check to see if your text is dynamic..if it is embbed your
                  >> characters.

> that doesn't work .. I made it a symbol .. if I dont' .. I don't
                  > have the option to make the alpha 0% .. right?

There are three kinds of symbols: movie clips, graphics, and buttons.
                  If you want to apply a Motion Tween to something, it's got to be one of
                  those. If you want to apply a Shape Tween to something, it's got to be a
                  shape.

Text fields fall into neither of the above categories, even though the
                  TextField class does provide an _alpha property. In practical terms, this
                  means you can change the opacity of dynamic and input text fields alone, but
                  only via ActionScript. In all other cases, you must wrap the text field in
                  a symbol, which it sounds like you've done. At that point, visual text
                  field properties are affected by any tweening you apply to the container
                  symbol, simply because the text field is *in* that symbol.

No matter what, font outlines must be embedded for dynamic or input text
                  fields, or opacity will always be 100%. To embed font outlines, click into
                  the timeline of your container symbol and select the text field itself
                  (assuming it is either a dynamic or input text field). Look at the Property
                  inspector and click the Embed button in Flash 8, Character button in Flash
                  MX 2004.

Note, opacity is not supported at all for device fonts, since they
                  cannot be embedded. Those are the ones that begin with underscore (_).

David
                  stiller (at) quip (dot) net
                  Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 6. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                    Level 7
                    Hi Nancy,
                    this is almost always caused by the text field inside the symbol being set to "dynamic" (flash
                    default). Dynamic text will need its font embedded in order for the alpha effect to be properly
                    rendered by the browser.
                    OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to Static.

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                    --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                    --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                    --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                    --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                    > I have a fade up and fade down from some text. So I have 4 keyframes .. the
                    > first is alpha=0% .. the second two are at 100% and the 4th at 0% .. and
                    > motion tweens between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.
                    >
                    > If I press enter to preview in Flash .. it looks fine. But if I export a
                    > swf or Control/Test Movie .. the tweens don't work. Yes .. the text is a
                    > symbol .. yes .. I have done this many times without issue.
                    >
                    > Why this time?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Nancy
                    >
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                      Level 7
                      Even after embedding it .. and making it a symbol .. the tween doesn't work
                      .. it works when I click ENTER to play .. but not when I CONTROL/TESTMOVIE.

This always worked in the past .. I now have 30 minutes to get this to my
                      client. What gives?

Thanks,
                      Nancy

"David Stiller" <stiller-NO-SPAM-@quip.net> wrote in message
                      news:e2jf2f$hur$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Nancy,
                      >
                      >>> check to see if your text is dynamic..if it is embbed your
                      >>> characters.
                      >
                      >> that doesn't work .. I made it a symbol .. if I dont' .. I don't
                      >> have the option to make the alpha 0% .. right?
                      >
                      > There are three kinds of symbols: movie clips, graphics, and buttons.
                      > If you want to apply a Motion Tween to something, it's got to be one of
                      > those. If you want to apply a Shape Tween to something, it's got to be a
                      > shape.
                      >
                      > Text fields fall into neither of the above categories, even though the
                      > TextField class does provide an _alpha property. In practical terms, this
                      > means you can change the opacity of dynamic and input text fields alone,
                      > but only via ActionScript. In all other cases, you must wrap the text
                      > field in a symbol, which it sounds like you've done. At that point,
                      > visual text field properties are affected by any tweening you apply to the
                      > container symbol, simply because the text field is *in* that symbol.
                      >
                      > No matter what, font outlines must be embedded for dynamic or input
                      > text fields, or opacity will always be 100%. To embed font outlines,
                      > click into the timeline of your container symbol and select the text field
                      > itself (assuming it is either a dynamic or input text field). Look at the
                      > Property inspector and click the Embed button in Flash 8, Character button
                      > in Flash MX 2004.
                      >
                      > Note, opacity is not supported at all for device fonts, since they
                      > cannot be embedded. Those are the ones that begin with underscore (_).
                      >
                      >
                      > David
                      > stiller (at) quip (dot) net
                      > Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
                      > "Luck is the residue of good design."
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                        Level 7
                        > OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                        > Static.

Chris? You are my hero! This worked.

I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol, the
                        rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8 before ...

Thanks again!

Nancy

• 9. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                          Level 7
                          it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am almost sure it was a couple
                          versions ago - could have been the font chosen as well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the
                          font into shapes in flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop - could be any number of
                          issues.
                          glad you met the deadline

--> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                          >>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                          >>Static.
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                          >
                          > I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol, the
                          > rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8 before ...
                          >
                          >
                          > Thanks again!
                          >
                          > Nancy
                          >
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                            Level 7
                            "tatic" = static

Chris Georgenes (ACE) wrote:
                            > it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am
                            > almost sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font
                            > chosen as well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into
                            > shapes in flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop -
                            > could be any number of issues.
                            > glad you met the deadline
                            >
                            > ******************************************
                            > --> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                            > --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                            > --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                            > --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                            > -->
                            > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                            >
                            >>> OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                            >>> Static.
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                            >>
                            >> I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a
                            >> symbol, the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this
                            >> in 8 before ...
                            >>
                            >> Thanks again!
                            >>
                            >> Nancy
                            >>
                            >>
                            • 11. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                              Level 7
                              not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                              tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                              alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                              works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

Is this me? Or Dreamweaver?

Thanks!
                              Nancy

"Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                              news:e2jgeb$g1r$12@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am almost
                              > sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font chosen as
                              > well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into shapes in
                              > flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop - could be any
                              > number of issues.
                              > glad you met the deadline
                              >
                              > -->
                              > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                              >>>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                              >>>Static.
                              >>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                              >>
                              >> I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol,
                              >> the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8 before
                              >> ...
                              >>
                              >> Thanks again!
                              >>
                              >> Nancy
                              >>

• 12. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                Level 7
                                tweening has always worked consistently for me - can you send me your FLA? if not - just strip out
                                the text you are trying to tween? email it to me at info [at] mudbubble [dot] com

i will take a look tonight.

Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                > not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                                > tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                                > alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                                > works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
                                >
                                > Is this me? Or Dreamweaver?
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                > Nancy
                                >
                                > "Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                > news:e2jgeb$g1r$12@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >
                                >>it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am almost
                                >>sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font chosen as
                                >>well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into shapes in
                                >>flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop - could be any
                                >>number of issues.
                                >>glad you met the deadline
                                >>
                                >>******************************************
                                >>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                >>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                >>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                >>--> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                >>-->
                                >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                >>
                                >>>>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                                >>>>Static.
                                >>>
                                >>>
                                >>>
                                >>>Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                                >>>
                                >>>I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol,
                                >>>the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8 before
                                >>>...
                                >>>
                                >>>Thanks again!
                                >>>
                                >>>Nancy
                                >>>
                                >
                                >
                                • 13. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                  Level 7

Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                  > not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                                  > tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                                  > alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                                  > works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

Take note that sliding the timeline scrub or using ENTER key to play timeline
                                  will show the tween working correctly while in reality it won't work.
                                  Need to export to SWF and Test Preview to see the full functionality.

This behavior has been consistent since flash 4, time when dynamic text was
                                  first introduced.
                                  • 14. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                    Level 7
                                    Sure .. thanks.

news:e2ji9g$g1r$14@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > tweening has always worked consistently for me - can you send me your FLA?
                                    > if not - just strip out the text you are trying to tween? email it to me
                                    > at info [at] mudbubble [dot] com
                                    >
                                    > i will take a look tonight.
                                    >
                                    > -->
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                    >> not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                                    >> tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                                    >> alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                                    >> works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
                                    >>
                                    >> Is this me? Or Dreamweaver?
                                    >>
                                    >> Thanks!
                                    >> Nancy
                                    >>
                                    >> "Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                    >> news:e2jgeb$g1r$12@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>
                                    >>>it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am almost
                                    >>>sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font chosen as
                                    >>>well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into shapes in
                                    >>>flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop - could be any
                                    >>>number of issues.
                                    >>>glad you met the deadline
                                    >>>
                                    >>>******************************************
                                    >>>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                    >>>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                    >>>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                    >>>--> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                    >>>-->
                                    >>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                    >>>
                                    >>>
                                    >>>
                                    >>>
                                    >>>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                    >>>
                                    >>>>>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                                    >>>>>Static.
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol,
                                    >>>>the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8
                                    >>>>before ...
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>Thanks again!
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>Nancy
                                    >>>>
                                    >>

• 15. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                      Level 7
                                      got your FLA....
                                      ahhh - it's the new flash 8 text rendering...i should have guessed - select text field and look at
                                      properties again - you will notice a drop down that says "anti-alias for readability" - set it to
                                      "anti-alias for animation". I tested it in both settings and only the "animation" text setting
                                      worked - the font is arial for those reading.
                                      I will try and figure out why it still didnt work in Static mode - that is weird - even in player 8!

******************************************

Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                      > Sure .. thanks.
                                      >
                                      > "Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                      > news:e2ji9g$g1r$14@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >
                                      >>tweening has always worked consistently for me - can you send me your FLA?
                                      >>if not - just strip out the text you are trying to tween? email it to me
                                      >>at info [at] mudbubble [dot] com
                                      >>
                                      >>i will take a look tonight.
                                      >>
                                      >>******************************************
                                      >>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                      >>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                      >>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                      >>--> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                      >>-->
                                      >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>>not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                                      >>>tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                                      >>>alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                                      >>>works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
                                      >>>
                                      >>>Is this me? Or Dreamweaver?
                                      >>>
                                      >>>Thanks!
                                      >>>Nancy
                                      >>>
                                      >>>"Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                      >>>news:e2jgeb$g1r$12@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >>>
                                      >>>
                                      >>>>it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am almost
                                      >>>>sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font chosen as
                                      >>>>well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into shapes in
                                      >>>>flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop - could be any
                                      >>>>number of issues.
                                      >>>>glad you met the deadline
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>******************************************
                                      >>>>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                      >>>>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                      >>>>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                      >>>>--> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                      >>>>-->
                                      >>>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>>>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                                      >>>>>>Static.
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a symbol,
                                      >>>>>the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this in 8
                                      >>>>>before ...
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>Thanks again!
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>Nancy
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>
                                      >
                                      • 16. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                        Level 7
                                        Thanks, Chris! I hadn't noticed that.

Nancy

news:e2jkti$mnm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > got your FLA....
                                        > ahhh - it's the new flash 8 text rendering...i should have guessed -
                                        > select text field and look at properties again - you will notice a drop
                                        > down that says "anti-alias for readability" - set it to "anti-alias for
                                        > animation". I tested it in both settings and only the "animation" text
                                        > setting worked - the font is arial for those reading.
                                        > I will try and figure out why it still didnt work in Static mode - that is
                                        > weird - even in player 8!
                                        >
                                        > -->
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                        >> Sure .. thanks.
                                        >>
                                        >> "Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                        >> news:e2ji9g$g1r$14@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >>
                                        >>>tweening has always worked consistently for me - can you send me your
                                        >>>FLA? if not - just strip out the text you are trying to tween? email it
                                        >>>to me at info [at] mudbubble [dot] com
                                        >>>
                                        >>>i will take a look tonight.
                                        >>>
                                        >>>******************************************
                                        >>>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                        >>>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                        >>>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                        >>>--> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                        >>>-->
                                        >>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                        >>>
                                        >>>
                                        >>>
                                        >>>
                                        >>>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                        >>>
                                        >>>>not really .. I converted the text to a symbol .. that is necessary for
                                        >>>>tweening (or was) .. it works .. but it's not great. I am tweening from
                                        >>>>alpha 0% to 100% and back down .. each tween over 10 frames .. while it
                                        >>>>works, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>Is this me? Or Dreamweaver?
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>Thanks!
                                        >>>>Nancy
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>"Chris Georgenes (ACE)" <chris@REMOVEmudbubble.com> wrote in message
                                        >>>>news:e2jgeb$g1r$12@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>>it may be that the text field property was tatic by default - i am
                                        >>>>>almost sure it was a couple versions ago - could have been the font
                                        >>>>>chosen as well - -perhaps you may have even broke apart the font into
                                        >>>>>shapes in flash or had imported GIFS of a font designed in P'shop -
                                        >>>>>could be any number of issues.
                                        >>>>>glad you met the deadline
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>******************************************
                                        >>>>>--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                                        >>>>>--> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                                        >>>>>--> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                                        >>>>>-->
                                        >>>>> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                                        >>>>>-->
                                        >>>>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>Nancy *ACE* wrote:
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>>>OR, select the text field inside the symbol and set its property to
                                        >>>>>>>Static.
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>Chris? You are my hero! This worked.
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>I have done this many times and as long as the text were made a
                                        >>>>>>symbol, the rest didn't matter. Why now? I am sure I have done this
                                        >>>>>>in 8 before ...
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>Thanks again!
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>Nancy
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>
                                        >>

• 17. Re: Fade that suddenly doesn't work ....
                                          Koffee & Chalk Dust

Working in Flash CS3 (Flash 9), I had a similar problem; maybe this solution is applicable:

Previously, using both dynamic text and text anti-aliased for readability, I had created alpha tweens for fades which rendered as expected.

Recently I attempted something similar, but created a font symbol which I used for all the text objects (all static text, all anti-aliased for readability) so I could simplify edits if I decided to change the font. At this point, motion tweens still worked fine, except those involving an alpha change. The text was already a symbol (part of a button), but I attempted most of the other solutions indicated, including breaking the tween into a frame by frame fade with no tweening applied. The result was the same: looked fine while scrubbing in the timeline, but in test, preview, or publish, an abrupt alpha change at the last keyframe

Changing the text font from the embedded font symbol to just the base font corrected the problem, although at that point edits became more problematic. Flash (CS3/9, at least) doesn't seem to like alpha other than 0 and 100% for font symbol text.