15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 3:07 PM by howmanypigginnamesdoitry

Missing dev details

howmanypigginnamesdoitry Level 1

On thousands of my photos the dev history in Develop module is missing. I have had to reinstall Lightroom in the past, or installed new versions, but the folder where all images are kept is the same and all existing .xmp files are left there too.
      It's only some, there are many that retain all of their dev history even after export and they've been altered again, but so many don't and I wondered if anyone could suggest why?

• 1. Re: Missing dev details
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you re-imported at any stage? Or imported by using Sync Folder? If so it maybe that save metadata to XMP was not up to date in every instance.

• 2. Re: Missing dev details
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Hint: Lightroom by default reads and writes to the Catalog File, info that is specific to a Lightroom Catalog is not stored in the xmp files.

e.g. develop History.

• 3. Re: Missing dev details

So if for some reason I have to start from scratch again I lose all my dev history?
              Is there anyway it can be exported as a file?

• 4. Re: Missing dev details
                dj_paige Level 9

You need the catalog file to maintain develop history. You cannot save or maintain it via XMP. You cannot rebuild your catalog from XMP. You need to use your catalog file (or a recent backup) for storage of all your work.

Start again from scratch? Why would you do that?

• 5. Re: Missing dev details
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

You need to back up your Catalog file regularly. That is where all to info and develop work is stored. Once you have all your image files and Catalog file available you will be able to restore Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Missing dev details

dj_paige: like when the catalog corrupts, which is has for me countless times in version 4 and 5

• 7. Re: Missing dev details
                      dj_paige Level 9

You need to restore a recent backup. You cannot recreate your catalog from XMP.

This implies that you want to be making regular and automatic backups of your catalog file (and also of your photos). Catalog backups are a function of Lightroom, you can set the software to make backups on a regular basis by going to Catalog Settings. Catalog backups must be stored on a different physical disk than the working catalog.

If you are getting regular corruption of your catalog, this usually indicates you have a hard disk malfunction somewhere, and if I were you, I'd run some diagnostic tests on your hard disk and probably replace it.

• 8. Re: Missing dev details

dj_paige I am not and never have nor have I hinted that i would try to recreate my catalog from the xmp file so I've no idea why you mention that again.
                        My disk is fine, it was Lightroom that used to corrupt. It sounds like you're a fan boy who thinks Lightroom can't go wrong so the problem must lie with someone's gear. So at that stage I think I'll bow out and say thanks all for the help I've received it is appreciated.

• 9. Re: Missing dev details
                          dj_paige Level 9

My disk is fine, it was Lightroom that used to corrupt.

For anyone else reading along, catalogs generally will not become corrupted except in the presence of some hardware problems. In fact, this isn't a Lightroom statement, this is true for any software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Lightroom, Capture One, Oracle, etc.), if data gets corrupted it almost never is the software's fault, it is almost always caused by some hardware malfunction somewhere.

• 10. Re: Missing dev details
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

People don't report their LR behaving in the manner that you do--corrupting the catalog numerous times and losing Develop history, so it's not that we're fanboys/girls necessarily just that 100s of 1000s if not a million people use LR and you're the one reporting the issue so the probability would be that something you're doing or something with your computer is not right or maybe the first time the catalog became corrupted, a clean backup wasn't reverted to so that corruption remains and manifests in the form of missing data from time to time.

One question I have from reading over what's been said and maybe I just missed it is:  when you say the Develop HISTORY is missing, does that mean the record of the steps, only, or does it mean that the settings of those photos are also reset back to how they were when a photo is newly imported?  And is there an Import step shown or not?  Depending on the answer to this question, a likely scenario can be given:  if the history is gone but the current settings are still ok and not reset, then lingering catalog corruption of the History data table is likely, but if the photos are reset back to the just-imported defaults, then something has removed and reimported the photos, especially if the only history step is the Import step.

• 11. Re: Missing dev details
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

howmanypigginnamesdoitry wrote:

dj_paige: like when the catalog corrupts, which is has for me countless times in version 4 and 5

You must have hardware or virus problems if you are getting this many corruptions.

• 12. Re: Missing dev details
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or the computer is being suddenly shut off or things are on an external drive that is being removed before LR is finished flushing all the contents of the changes out to the database.

• 13. Re: Missing dev details

I'm glad you edited your post ssprengel, please don't ever tell me not to report how something is.

You can all gang up to bully in order to have your way, but it is what it is and don't anyone ever try and tell me LR 4 and 5 had a ton of bugs when they were released.

Yes it is just history info that is missing. The photos are still altered and can be reset using the reset button, and then readjusted so that the fresh history is viewable.
                                  The import and export step is always shown, only the edit history is not shown.

• 14. Re: Missing dev details

Lightroom has bugs from time to time, get over it.

• 15. Re: Missing dev details

For anyone else reading, Lightroom has been released in the past with an enormous amount of bugs, one particular one in V4 which I reported in here and it was never fixed.
                                      That aside, remember also that despite what some say, most software has bugs at some stage and Lightroom has had it's share.
                                      For every bug there is a fanboy who will don his body armour and suit up ready to defined it to the hilt.
                                      Usually there also is someone reasonable who will try to work out the problem so that's a positive.