19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 3:04 PM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Table of Contents Order

rachelp8052132

I'm working on a Table of Contents for a training manual, and I'm a little confused about how to manage the order of the items in my TOC.

In my page, I have two different paragraph styles that I want to show in the TOC - the Sub-Header (section headers) and Sub-Sub Headers (definitions). There are two Sub-Headers on the page, and 12 Sub-Sub-Headers (all of which are anchored text boxes because I wanted them on the same line as the definitions). Here is the order that they appear:

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 9.49.51 AM.png

When I update the Table of Contents, InDesign puts the two Sub-Headers at the top of this page, and then the definitions all follow that. I would prefer that the different definitions appear underneath the correct Sub-Header in the TOC, as they appear in the actual page.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 9.50.09 AM.png

Is there a way that I can have it in the actual order on the page rather than having the two higher level ones automatically populate on the top? Here are my settings, in case it helps. I am on a Mac version of InDesign CC.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 9.51.09 AM.png

Thank you!