26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 8:13 AM by dj_paige

Smart preview size

parkershots

I've just started using smart previews as a way to edit my images faster, as I was advised that by creating them and disconnecting the harddisk that the images are stored on, everything will run faster. And it does, but the preview image I work off is too small. See image below:

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 14.22.10.png

Please help? Am I missing an option when creating smart previews that renders larger versions to work from?

• 1. Re: Smart preview size
          dj_paige Level 9

No, that's the point of smart previews, they are smaller than the original, and so they are faster and can be used when the original isn't available.

There is no way to change the size of the smart previews.

• 2. Re: Smart preview size
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The idea is that you ultimately synchronize the settings for the smart previews with the master files (originals) and then use the originals for your exports, prints etc.

• 3. Re: Smart preview size
              parkershots Level 1

I get that, but someone else using smart previews says his fill the screen. Could that be down to the size of his screen (assuming it's smaller than my 27" screen)?

• 4. Re: Smart preview size
                dj_paige Level 9

Sure, the size of the screen makes a difference

• 5. Re: Smart preview size
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you viewing the smart preview at 1:1

• 6. Re: Smart preview size
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I'd rather say that the resolution of the screen makes a difference.

I think smart previews are 2560 pixels on the long side, so with a horizontal image, if the horizontal resolution of the screen is more than 2560 pixels, the image will not fill the screen. (with the side panels hidden)

And Lightroom will never enlarge an image beyond 1:1 in Fit view.

• 7. Re: Smart preview size
                      parkershots Level 1

When I click 1:1 nothing changes in the view. Should it?

• 8. Re: Smart preview size
                        parkershots Level 1

Thanks everyone. Are smart previews in your opinions, the fastest way to edit images? Any other suggestions you could offer. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

• 9. Re: Smart preview size
                          dj_paige Level 9

parkershots wrote:

Thanks everyone. Are smart previews in your opinions, the fastest way to edit images? Any other suggestions you could offer. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Speed depends on many things. Smart previews are one way to speed up editing. There are many other ways as well.

• 10. Re: Smart preview size
                            parkershots Level 1

Thanks, but could you elaborate on the other ways, please?

• 11. Re: Smart preview size
                              dj_paige Level 9

Speed depends on the type of editing you are doing, it depends on the size (in pixels) of the original image, it depends on your hardware, it depends on what other software is running at the time you are editing, etc. etc. etc.

if you get a faster CPU, your editing will go faster. If you use smaller images, your editing will go faster. If you don't do a lot of brushing or spot healing, your editing will go faster. If you have no programs running in the background, your editing will go faster. If you do only minor lens corrections, your editing will go faster.

• 12. Re: Smart preview size
                                parkershots Level 1

OK, assuming I'm not going to change the CPU, the size of the images, the amount of brush or spot healing etc., are there settings that I can click on or off which are known to help improve things?

I find it strange that when I phoned adobe a few weeks back due to the problem, they advised turning off the graphics processor to sort it, and when phoning them today re a different problem, they suggested turning it back on. It doesn't give much confidence in their help.

• 13. Re: Smart preview size
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Wait a minute. depending on what the problem is that you are talking about, the answer to turn the Graphics acceleration on might be correct, and for a different problem the answer to turn the graphics acceleration off might be correct.

The graphics acceleration is the only other setting in LR that I can think of that you can change that will affect the speed of editing.

however, performing brushing, spot healing as the next to last steps, and turning on lens corrections as the last step, might also speed up your editing.

• 14. Re: Smart preview size
                                    davidbutlerii

This is a problem I cant find Adobe addressing. I just made a reply in another post.

The problem is... large screen, using smart previews, image looks to small but when you use the crop tool the image fills the screen and looks fine.... so what we need is the same image size that we see when crop tool is activated without having the crop tool activated. I am using a 27" Imac 5K

• 15. Re: Smart preview size
                                      dj_paige Level 9

Adobe doesn't really address issues in this forum. This is primarily a user-to-user forum, with occasional technical support from staff. They almost never address design decisions or feature requests.

You need to submit a feature request or bug report directly to Adobe. The link is on the Overview page of this forum.

• 16. Re: Smart preview size
                                        Bob Somrak Level 5

davidbutlerii wrote:

This is a problem I cant find Adobe addressing.

Probably because Adobe does NOT consider it a problem to address and is as designed (and I agree).    Smart Previews are small for several reasons, including transfer to Mobile and speed when using them.  If you want more pixels so the photo fills the screen when using a High Res monitor than just use the full size RAW and quit using Smart Previews.  

• 17. Re: Smart preview size
                                          davidbutlerii Level 1

Hi Bob,

I don't want more pixels.... I don't need more pixels. I never asked or wrote about pixels. My post is pretty clear I think. All we want is the same size view as it is when the crop tool is being used. Nothing more, nothing less.... No more pixels. If there is enough pixels to fill the screen when the crop tool is implemented then there are plenty of pixels to give the same view when the crop tool is not being used.

God bless,

dbii

David Butler II

Butler Photography

860 558-3350

www.butlerphotography.net

• 18. Re: Smart preview size
                                            davidbutlerii Level 1

Hi Bob & thread,

Sorry to come across sounding snooty... just one of those days :-)

• 19. Re: Smart preview size
                                              dj_paige Level 9

I don't want more pixels.... I don't need more pixels. I never asked or wrote about pixels. My post is pretty clear I think. All we want is the same size view

Same size view is indeed more pixels on the screen, and this results in Lightroom slowness that can be avoided by smart previews

• 20. Re: Smart preview size
                                                Bob Somrak Level 5

You didnt come across as snooty at all, in fact you came across as very nice.   You could always post a feature request here Photoshop Family Customer Community     Adobe supposedly monitors this site.

• 21. Re: Smart preview size
                                                  davidbutlerii Level 1

Hi dj

Are you saying a smart preview file uses more pixel when the crop tool is on and less pixels when the crop tool is off or do they just expand the smart preview file (same pixels spread out) when the crop tool is used? Or are you saying when a smart preview is created two separate files are made. One used when editing and a second one with more pixels that is used when the crop tool is engaged?

David Butler II

Butler Photography

860 558-3350

www.butlerphotography.net

• 22. Re: Smart preview size
                                                    dj_paige Level 9

If it fills up the screen when you crop, then Lightroom is showing you more pixels than the smart preview has. In other words, it has expanded the image for the purposes of cropping only.

I doubt two separate files exist, smart previews have a maximum size in pixels (I forget what it is off the top of my head) and the file will never contain more pixels. But in the computer's memory, Lightroom can create the larger image rather quickly for the purposes of cropping. If there were two separate files, this would completely defeat the purpose of having smart previews.

• 23. Re: Smart preview size
                                                      davidbutlerii Level 1

I would ask you to see for yourself if you have a 27" 4K or 5K screen

Open up LR and view a folder of images. Make sure you have smart priviews created for the images. Close LR. Now disconnect the external dive if thats where the files reside or rename the folder the files are in so LR is forced to work with only the smart preview files. Start LR... now scrool through the images... you should see them on the screen as a mdium size... not filling the screen (like the image at the top of the page. Now select the crop tool,,, that medium size, non filling the screen image should now infact fill the screen and it should look pretty darn good. Keep in mind you are working on "smart preview" image files. I would like THAT view you see when the crop tool is engaged. If the smart preview file is good enough to enlarge when the crop tool is used why cant we see the screen filling image when editing. I cant stress enough you are working with the SMART PREVIEW FILE.  Dear God in heaven please tell me you know what i'm talking about not now?

:-)

• 24. Re: Smart preview size
                                                        dj_paige Level 9

I know what you are talking about.

Cropping is a very simple operation, if you expand the smart preview to fill the screen (and thereby temporarily increasing the number of pixels), you can enlarge and crop the photo in Lightroom and see no speed loss. Cropping is a very simple operation!

Editing, and having real-time updates of your photo, is a much more complex operation. The more pixels in the image (which is what you want) causes Lightroom to slow down, especially if you have chosen to use some of the more mathematically intensive operations such as brushing, spot healing, lens corrections, etc. And because of this fact, that more pixels cause Lightroom to slow down and NOT have the ability to allow you to edit in real time with instantaneous screen updates, you cannot have an image that fills a full 5K screen. It defeats the purpose of having smart previews.

To do real-time editing on a 5K screen, you'd need humongous computing power, and a top of the line GPU, and most people don't have that. So, Adobe has correctly, in my opinion, chosen to not fill the screen with your smart preview, because the real-time editing won't happen on most people's machines, and then Adobe would get criticized for that — "smart previews are supposed to be faster" and look how slow they are.

And as someone else has mentioned, sharpening and noise reduction are best done on the original full RAW, rather than the upsized smart preview.

• 25. Re: Smart preview size
                                                          davidbutlerii Level 1

I'm confused... you said the smart previews are based on a specific size file... If LR is working with a specific size file (smart preview) how can it temporarily increase the amount of pixels its working with? Where is it getting these temporary pixels? :-)

• 26. Re: Smart preview size
                                                            dj_paige Level 9

davidbutlerii wrote:

I'm confused... you said the smart previews are based on a specific size file... If LR is working with a specific size file (smart preview) how can it temporarily increase the amount of pixels its working with? Where is it getting these temporary pixels? :-)

It loads the pixels from the smart preview into memory. In memory it expands the number of pixels to fill the screen for the purposes of cropping (in mathematical terms, it interpolates). This is actually a very fast thing to do. But it is not the same as using the original pixels from the RAW, the result of doing this gives you different pixels than the original RAW. It let's you do the crop. When finished, the image reverts back to the exact pixels in the smart preview, as I explained earlier.