9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 11:21 PM by Lab860

Pen tablet features in Flash

ma55ix
      Hi!
      I'm currently working on a project (website) that requires the use of drawing on a flash application. I frequently use a tablet pen mostly because it enables users to alter the lines of their work at ease and being an avid sketcher, it is beyond brilliance,
      I believe that since it's 2009, flash applications should incorporate the very best features of modern technology and promote the exciting skills that computing programs can generate.
      Since my site will enable people to draw on flash application, I want to give them the best opportunities to enable drawing online.
      Unfortunately, users cannot experience the same drawing techniques as those found on programs like PhotoShop, OpenCanvas and Windows Messenger. Silverlight (Microsoft) has enabled the use of tablet techniques, yet Adobe has failed to introduce this into it's latest flash applications.
      As a consumer of Adobe products, I believe it is important that they listen to their customer needs and wants in order to make an existing product into something more attractive for users.
      Adobe has already shown capabilities of introducing tablet pressure techniques into PhotoShop, so as a consideration at the very least, will they look into the idea of expanding this into flash products?
      I am just one of the many people who wish to see this happen and I hope Adobe is aware how popular a choice this will be.
      Cheers
        • 2. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
          ma55ix Level 1
          Sorry, I mean Flash Player that is accessible on websites and not the program. Flash Player is currently only limited to mouse, keyboard, webcam and mic
          • 3. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
            Phrankie Level 1
            Sorry, I misunderstood.

So you want SWFs to respond to tablet input and pressure sensitivity.

Good idea!!!

q
            • 4. Pen tablet features in Flash
              ma55ix Level 1
              InkLink (Adobe game) enables multiplayer gaming where users can sketch online with other users. Adobe are therefore already aware of how popular it is for many online users to draw on it's own flash applications,
              This will enable Adobe to have an idea of the amount of people who use such websites or those of a similar nature and they can base part of their research on the Pros and Cons of implementing such a change to their Flash Players.
              The use of pressure sensitivities of tablets will take drawing online to a different level which is why I am passionate about the prospect of adobe enabling the use of it's tablet pressures in online applications.
              As a competitive decision, I'm sure Adobe do not wish for SilverLight to take a lead in certain special features in web browser plugins.
              I would think it would be worth the investment for Adobe to implement it since the positive feedback will bring welcome news to a sizeable proportion of internet users.
              • 5. Pen tablet features in Flash
                Phrankie Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: ma55ix
                The use of pressure sensitivities of tablets will take drawing online to a different level ...
                As a competitive decision, I'm sure Adobe do not wish for SilverLight to take a lead in certain special features in web browser plugins. I would think it would be worth the investment for Adobe to implement it since the positive feedback will bring welcome news to a sizeable proportion of internet users.

Indeed! Much like my recent comment regarding the platform importance of MIDI. RIAs will thrive on MIDI. Whoever first provides a MIDI API will have a significant foothold among users and developers. As with the pressure pen, it's about interactivity. But with MIDI it's also about super slim deployment of soundtracks and sound effects!!!

If you want to chime in for MIDI, please reply to the following thread. MIDI is good for Flash and the Flash Player community of users and developers.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=1428169

Come on Adobe. MIDI is part of RIA future. It will appear in Flash, Flex and ActionScript. Make it now!

• 6. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
                  RossRitchey Level 4
                  Just an FYI to both Phrankie and ma55ix - these forums are strictly user-to-user forums, and while some Adobe staff do regularly post on here, and read the posts, there is no guarantee that anyone at Adobe actually reads your post.

If you want to post a feature request, or bug, go to the official Feature Request/Bug Report form:
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

This will ensure that someone at Adobe at least sees your request.

Also, ask others who agree with you to do the same, as an outcry of people asking for the same thing gives it a better likelihood of happening.

I agree that pressure sensitivity would be stellar to be able to support in an online application.
                  • 7. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
                    ma55ix Level 1
                    Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated :)
                    I'll take your advice and post later on today
                    • 8. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
                      ma55ix Level 1
                      Ok, I've done a post on the feature request on flash forums (JIRA)

If anyone would like to vote or dicuss matters on it, then please feel free to do so at this link:
                      http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1762

Thanks!
                      • 9. Re: Pen tablet features in Flash
                        Hhhmmmmm... I never thought of this, well all I can say is in time it will happen if enough tablet pc's are out there, I'm not sure what the market is like for tablets...