5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 5:21 PM by Just Shoot Me

LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File

BeautyfElle

Hi there

I'm using the German version of LR CC 2015.5. Since I don't know the exact wording of the English menu names I'm just guessing...

In the menu "edit" is a menu point presents where you can set all the presets for external editing in another menue.

For editing in Lightroom CC 2015.5 it is set to PSD, sRGB, 16 Bit and a solution of 300 .

For the 2nd editor I've simply surfed to the program path of photoshop cc and set everything similar to the above settings. I hoped, this way it would NOT open the CR-file when right clicking on a file and choose "Edit in...". Unfortunately it opens in both cases the original CR-File in Photoshop CC instead of generating a psd-File and open that new file.

If I change the 2nd editor to Photoshop CS 6 (32 Bit) LR asks me (like in the older versions of LR) if I want to edit a copy of it with the changes of LR or not and then it opens the psd-File. How do I get LR to open it up in PS CC like it would with the old PS??

Any solutions for the problem? I don't want to edit the original file and I certainly won't save every file first as psd and sync the directory to see the psd-file in LR...

Thnx for your help.

Michelle

• 1. Re: LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File
          Bob Somrak Level 5

For the built in Edit in Photoshop you can change the file type to PSD in preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 11.43.51 AM.png

• 2. Re: LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What you are seeing is completely normal. When sending a file from LR to PS using the Edit In option if both LR and PS are using the same version of ACR the file opens in PS as a RAW file with the RAW file extension of the image. To generate a PSD or TIFF, depending on what option you have selected in the LR preferences, all you have to do is SAVE the file. Ctrl+s, Windows, or I guess CMD+s on a Mac. Then the file extension changes to what you have selected in the LR preferences and that New file gets added to the LR catalog. If you have Stack with Original selected it will also be stacked.

• 3. Re: LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File
              BeautyfElle Level 1

That's what I wrote... it's set to psd - for both editors, but it opens the CR-File. When set to TIFF, it opens the CR-File as well btw.

• 4. Re: LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File
                BeautyfElle Level 1

Ahm... when I set the 2nd editor to PS 6 and  PS CC is running/open, LR generates the PSD file and opens it in CC (instead of PS 6 *lol*).

So all I have to do is start PS CC first, then rightclick on a picture and choose "edit in Photoshop.exe" which is connected to PS6 and I get my PSD directly.

With your solution I have to save it first in PS (what I could forget), then sync the folder in LR to see the PSD in the library - with every edited picture... which is way more work that start PS CC first.

• 5. Re: LR resp. PS opens the CR-File, not creating a psd-File
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

BeautyfElle wrote:

Ahm... when I set the 2nd editor to PS 6 and PS CC is running/open, LR generates the PSD file and opens it in CC (instead of PS 6 *lol*).

So all I have to do is start PS CC first, then rightclick on a picture and choose "edit in Photoshop.exe" which is connected to PS6 and I get my PSD directly.

With your solution I have to save it first in PS (what I could forget), then sync the folder in LR to see the PSD in the library - with every edited picture... which is way more work that start PS CC first.

Yes because PS CS6 does not have the same ACR version as the newer version of LR. so when you send an image from LR to PS CS6 LR must render the image first and output a PSD or TIFF, depending on the setting you have selected in the external editing section of the LR preferences.

You also get a dialog box because the ACR version doesn't match. This is with CS5.

Edit In dialog window.PNG

No need to Sync the folder back in LR. Once saved in PS it will appear in LR.

Edit in CC.PNG

Then once I do a Save I get this.

Edit In CC Save.PNG

Although I do have Stack with Original checked. But even without that option checked the PSD/TIFF file is auto imported into the LR catalog.

As soon as I clicked Save, Ctrl+s, the file showed up in LR.