7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 2:51 PM by siobhanj85197400

New to Photoshop Advice Needed

siobhanj85197400

I am looking to buy Photoshop but I'm not sure which one. I do a lot of landscape/wildlife photography as a hobby. I have seen lots of photos on Facebook where the colours of the leaves on trees have been changed from green to purple for example. The colour of the sky and water features have been changed. Colours on flowers and birds have been changed. I was looking at Lightroom as it says it's for photography but as a novice in it I have no idea. I'd also like to clean up my photos like any other program ie exposure etc. Can anyone tell me which Photoshop I would be best using? Thanks.

• 1. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you’re seeing photos of FB maybe it is just a photo app on someone’s phone.  If you have a link to an example FB page then maybe some judgement can be made about what sort of app did the changes. 

You’re asking which PS. Do you mean Photoshop Elements vs Photoshop CC?  Or does your choice also include some phone apps of some sort.

Using PS Elements or PS CC, I can make greens turn purple with the Hue/Sat adjustment panel although I wouldn't call the effect all that pleasing so I'm not sure this is what you're talking about:

• 2. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
            siobhanj85197400 Level 1

The page on Facebook in particular is called Awesome World. They post professional photographs which I am certain are altered because Ive never seen skys/foliage in these colours normally. I have altered the hue on photos but it alters the photo as a whole when it would be certain parts I would want to alter. I would prefer to use Photoshop because everyone tells me it is the best photo editor to use. I was wondering about Lightroom v Photoshop but if one of the other photoshops is more suitable then I would like to know. Thanks.

• 3. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is only one Photoshop. In addition, there is Photoshop Elements which is a more basic and simplified version of Photoshop. And then there is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, which is kind of a misnomer because Lightroom is a completely separate program that functions quite differently from Photoshop. All three are excellent programs. But none of them are easy to use without taking time to watch some tutorials and learn how the programs function. If you were to decide that you wanted Photoshop, it is only available through a subscription program now. The basic subscription is the Adobe photography plan which includes both Photoshop and Lightroom. The reason the two are packaged together is that they complement each other. Many Lightroom users find that they do most of their work using Lightroom, but Photoshop is always good to have because it has capabilities that Lightroom does not. A forum like this is probably not going to do justice to elaborating on the differences between the programs. How much experience do you have using photo software of any type. And what are the things you want to accomplish?

• 4. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

siobhanj85197400 wrote:

The page on Facebook in particular is called Awesome World. They post professional photographs which I am certain are altered because Ive never seen skys/foliage in these colours normally.

Maybe it's from a Different World. Maybe they are aliens and post pictures of their world, not ours.

Photoshop is a very powerful program. Whether it is the BEST images editor is up to the user. I have both Lightroom and Photoshop along with Photoninja and silkypix and have tried several others including Capture One and the new kid on the block Affinity Designer which in now in public Beta on the Windows plateform.

I use Lightroom the most and send to PS every now and then. But then I don't screw around with the colors of my images. I'm more of a naturalist and as far as I know and can remember I am from this World.

• 5. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
                  siobhanj85197400 Level 1

Thank you for all of your comments. From what I can tell it would probably be useful to have Photoshop and Lightroom for altering and improving my photographs. I have been using a free program that came with my laptop PhotoDirector 3 which to some extent is very good for altering exposure/brightness/contrast etc. I can alter the colour using hue/saturation etc The only thing I haven't been able to find on it is how to change specific colours to colours of my choice. I just think it's time I started using a more professional program overall. Once again, thank you!

• 6. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BTW, the photo where it looks like they shifted the hue of green leaves to light purple, no Photoshopping needed, those are actually the purple flowers of Jacaranda trees in Australia.  In the northern hemisphere, we have redbud trees but they're much smaller.

https://www.facebook.com/Aw3some.World/photos/a.124447141058242.25389.124442111058745/6067 38629495755/?type=3&theater

• 7. Re: New to Photoshop Advice Needed
                      siobhanj85197400 Level 1

Wow! I don't need Photoshop, I need a ticket to Oz! Lol