1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 12:07 PM by summertimeluv

Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

summertimeluv

HI i have exported my indesign file (indesign CC 2015.4 release) in .swf

when i open it locally on my computer i can hear the music on upon page load

however when i upload it online on my server the music doesn't play

for some reason which is not normal

i also have a video.. i checked if it worked.. its working fine & i can also hear the audio..

so im NOT getting WHY my music is not playing online

furthermore i checked if my .mp3 is properly uploaded & working... & it is...

so not understanding whats causing it!

can anyone kindly suggest something please

thank you

OK so i realized that the problem is NOT from my side!

because i also have some previous files online with music it them... even they are not working...

so it means there is a bug with the latest adobe flash player online

because today i updated it & the problem started just then

where can i report it?

& ask them to fix it?

• 1. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
          Derek Cross Level 6

.swf is not a recommended format these days as they can't be played on many Mac (and other) devices.

• 2. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
            summertimeluv Level 1

hi, 1st I am working on a mac & it has never caused any issues

then.. i have designed alot of popup music & video & animations... in my file

& i'll have to read the link you gave me on e-pub to see if i can export it in e-pub with FACING PAGES & that everythg works

furthermore i am ok for now that it only works on laptops & not tablets..

that said... my music was functioning 100% even before..

it's the new indesign version of the adobe flash with has screwed up something

anyways NO CHANCE righThat i change anything

• 3. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SWF isn't a recommended format because it requires the installation of a current version of Flash. Many people purposely don't install Flash. Also, Apple won't allow you to run Flash unless you've updated your copy (and updates are required frequently).

• 4. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

so it means there is a bug with the latest adobe flash player online

I just ran a quick test with an InDesign exported SWF that includes an MP3 file set to play on load. and it's working fine with the latest Flash player (22.0.0.192). Tested in Firefox and Safari. Also works in Chrome, which has Flash built in and doesn't use a plugin.

• 5. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

requires the installation of a current version of Flash

Chromium based browsers don't need the plugin and Chrome currently has over 60% of the desktop browser market. It would be nice if the other would do the same at least before they go the way of Netscape

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 11.04.34 AM.png

• 6. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would expect Google to stop supporting it before the others start to.

• 7. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Strictly speaking SWF files ONLY support FLV and the audio version of FLV.

Forget MP3 and MOV and AIFF and MP4 in SWF.

Now, having said that I'm suspicious that the new Spark Video uses Flash because those videos work poorly in Chrome.

• 8. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Forget MP3

I've never had a problem loading MP3s—it's the sound format that ActionScript 3.0 expects

Adobe Flash Platform * Working with streaming sound files

Early versions of Flash only supported FLV video, but MPEG-4 has been supported since version 9

FLVPlayback - Adobe ActionScript® 3 (AS3 Flash) API Reference

• 9. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

I would expect Google to stop supporting it before the others start to.

Then why would they bother building the player into the browser? I don't sense that there's a lot of passion on the subject from Google—they've always seemed pretty agnostic. The average user doesn't want to be bugged about updating a plugin, so it's a significant feature for a browser that is crushing the competition.

• 10. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                            summertimeluv Level 1

Thanks everyone for your replies..

Well sandee i can assure you that... .mp4 work just fine with good quality videos.

& normally .mp3 do too... as i have had no issue with them in the past

it's just recently my audio files aren't playing for some crazzzy reason

plus most of the video game industry is in FLASH!! for God sake!!

so flash is not going away any time soon!

it's just that apple hates adobe & wants to kill their market thats why flash is not supported on ipad & stuff..

but apparently of what i have read adobe is re-working flash to contour this problem..

lets keep our fingers crossed that it does that very soon!

in the mean while keep posting you suggestions & im going try a few different things to fix this issue... especially that rob day stated above that his .mp3 files worked just fine!

as soon as i have found a solution i will post it here in case someone encounters it in the future

• 11. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Here's the test that is working from my browsers, I exported out of CC2014:

Untitled-13

The problem could easily be with your server. Have you double checked that the resources folder has been uploaded with the .swf and .html files and are relative? You might also check the permissions of the resources folder.

The InDesign .swf export has always been somewhat limited and clunky—for complex interaction you really need to be coding and compiling in Flash or FlashBuilder. If you would like to share the export files I can check them on my server.

• 12. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                summertimeluv Level 1

Actually... I just opened my .swf files on my server of 2014

& guess what? all the music & everythg is playing perfectly fine

the audio was .mp3 too... so.. its not the latest version of online flash

I think its the LATEST version of indesign 2015 which is probably causing this error..

i updated my indesign a few days back... ill try to revert to a previous version.. & then see if it works or not!

im just worried i wont beable to open my file since its 2015 version

f**king software!!

• 13. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                  summertimeluv Level 1

So here are the facts:

- Indesign file with a .mp3

- Not Adobe flash player problem as my older files on the server play the music without issue

- When export file in .swf locally on my computer the music plays

- But when put it on the server animation opens without music

What i did is that i installed indesign’s the previous version from the cloud

- made a new file

- exported again in swf

- locally opens

- uploaded it

- .mp3 didn’t play

then i install CC2014

did the same again

pretty much running out of options now!

• 14. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

- When export file in .swf locally on my computer the music plays

- But when put it on the server animation opens without music

If the swf is loading the mp3 when you run it locally seems likely that the problem is with your server.

• 15. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                      summertimeluv Level 1

Actually.. not really..

because as i pointed out if there was a problem on the server... then no music would play on my other .swf either.. don't you think?

files which were ALREADY on my server exported by my previous Indesign versions.. play perfectly fine!

so issue is else where... i just don't know where to look for the issue now.. have tried most things by now :-(

• 16. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

because as i pointed out if there was a problem on the server... then no music would play on my other .swf either.. don't you think?

Just to clarify, you are saying the mp3 plays when you test the HTML page locally right?

There could easily be a problem with the resources folder for the new page that has nothing to do with your other pages. Have you tried debugging the problem page with something like Safari's developer tools? That would tell you if the swf is trying to load the mp3.

So in my example if I move the mp3 out of the resources folder the swf loads into the HTML page but it can't find the mp3. Safari's Developer console Network tab tells me where the problem is:

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 9.05.19 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                          summertimeluv Level 1

Re-Hi Rob!

Just to clarify, you are saying the mp3 plays when you test the HTML page locally right?

By that i mean when i open my file with Flash Player Debugger

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 15.30.33.png

However... i did do what you asked me to check in Safari: *Tab Console* i found somethg quite interesting..

It said that.. music file was MISSING... so I checked on my FTP... the file is DEFINITIVELY appearing on the server in the folder it is supposed to be.. i faced this error when i clicked the link in red.. saying music file was missing..

*Not Found

The requested URL /TestMag_Resources/sound-new.mp3 was not found on this server.*

• 18. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                            summertimeluv Level 1

I also had this in the console

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 15.51.04.png

I also checked the other animation which i created yesterday with CC 2014 with music placed in it too...

but it said the EXACT same thing that .mp3 file was missing... & i checked my server folder it seems to be there..

Here is the missing file error for the .mp3

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 15.57.53 copy.png

again thank you for your help...

• 19. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Looks like you are not using the HTML page InDesign generates (with the JS loading code embedded) to load the swf and its assets, but rather a custom HTML page with swfobject.js handling the load. You clearly have a problem with relative links. if you are coding your own page and using swfobject for the loading you can't expect the swf to load correctly if swfobject doesn't load first.

Also when you export a swf InDesign creates an HTML page along with a resources folder. Testing the swf locally in Flash Player doesn't tell you much because the swfs always have to load in an HTML wrapper—your visitors will view it in a browser and not in the Flash Player application. To test locally you should open the generated HTML page in a browser

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                summertimeluv Level 1

You just helped me resolve a SUPER MEGA ISSUE!
                                                Thank you so much!

I created a new doc with music just to test what you said.. & then used the generated .html file of .swf & uploaded it to my server just to see if it could work

& guess what? it DID!!!!!! yuppie!

But this is the FIRST time ever i have used indesign generated html file..

in the previous version of indesign... i exported the .swf ALONE then integrated it into my own html made in dreamweaver & it worked perfectly fine... never had an issue..

maybe a bug in the new indesign or somethg... i don't know..

now im going to apply this to my main file & then see how i can adapt the html to my requirements

this is the first step towards solving my issue!!

Im EXTREMELY thankful to you for your time!!!

ill keep you updated.. i'll try various things today

• 21. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

maybe a bug in the new indesign or somethg... i don't know..

The problem isn't with InDesign, it's in your HTML code.

swfobject.js is the preferred method for loading swfs, but it has a lot of parameters that will affect how the load happens, and obviously it has to successfully load before the swf and assets will load.

While it is true Flash is still used for gaming, it is pretty much dead for generic web work. I no longer build Flash sites and assets, even when a client asks for it, because I know eventually the "why doesn't it work on my iPad" question will come up.

• 22. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@summertimeluv has been ignoring our suggestions about NOT using Flash at the top of this thread.

• 23. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

I know. Just wanted to clarify that even though swf export isn't very useful (it wouldn't be even if Flash was still commercially viable), there's not a bug.

• 24. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                        summertimeluv Level 1

well @stevewerner .. sorry but i have NO INTENTION to redo my 250 page of document populated with popup, videos, music... just because i am suggested not to use flash.. i technically CAN'T

that said... i am OPEN to a better suggestions..in WHAT format should i export my file current indesign file...

if it DOES NOT require me to redo any of my pop-up or animations or anythg.. (it's a magazine... 2 face A4 pages)

Mr. Derek Cross gave me a link to read about e-pub..

once i finish my flash doc.. & get the ball rolling

i will invest my time read it & ill see if without needing to make too changes major changes to my doc & if i can get the same magazine effect... then ill be glad to test it out..

but im the meanwhile i dont have much choice... as am stuck in & i have no intention to redo my +250 pgs

• 25. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                          summertimeluv Level 1

BTW... FYI.. i initial started designing my mag for interactive pdf..

but when i exported it... it MESSED UP ALLLLLLLLLL MY LAYERS!!!!

& screwed up everythg for me...

so i re-adapted my whole doc it for flash..

• 26. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

my 250 page of document populated with popup, videos, music...

You must have a file size problem with 250 pages.

I think the new Publish Online feature is intended to replace swf export

Use Publish Online to publish your InDesign documents

• 27. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                              summertimeluv Level 1

Thank you. Good idea... i tested it out but it's NOT for me..

As I faced with a number of issues:

1/ no settings possible.. i cant choose to deactivate certain functions.. like i wish to hide the arrows on either side for people to click on to go from one page to the next

i rather they use the navigation i have built in with in my doc

2/ many of the transparencies are GONE...

3/ numerous button not functioning

4/ people have the option to click on thumbnails & thats a no no.. i don't want them to beable to do that
                                                              5/ worst of all the loading time is IMPOSSIBLE... atleast when i do it my way with flash... it take 7 secs to load everythg then the readers can browser without wait 2 secs PER PAGE to load.. which is way tooooo much! <-- this is the final deal breaker

Questions:

1/Now that i published it online... is it visible to everyone on Adobe creative cloud?

It is a private document for just certain people...

Just to be sure.. it's accessible ONLY via the link i will provide to people right?

2/ Are interactive pdf opennable on ipads?

3/ back to basics.. i exported the html files along with the .swf... & they are working fine..

but the size of the document is too big on screen... it cuts the document partially

btw do you know how i can just check an option & it automatically customizes the size to the screen of the viewer?

thank you!!!

• 28. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

do you know how i can just check an option & it automatically customizes the size to the screen of the viewer?

You can set the pixel dimension of the SWF when you export, but you handle sizing via the HTML container and whatever javascript you use for the load. You are never going to get dynamic screen resizing to work with an exported swf. The best you can do is scale it with a div element in the HTML page.

InDesign has some screen and interactive capabilities, but its intended use is for print layout not web authoring.

• 29. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Are these sound files set to Play on Page Load.

Because I have a slightly similar problem that the mp3 files I have in Publish Online documents which I "think" use flash don't play when set to play on Page Load.

But they do play when clicked manually.

This could be a bug in the latest flash player built into the tablet browsers.

• 30. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

This could be a bug in the latest flash player built into the tablet browsers.

Adobe stopped building Flash player for tablets. I think it's possible to run old versions on some android tablets, but there are no upgrades or support.

The OP's browser debugger is showing the Mp3 and needed javascript files are not loading—there's clearly a problem with the HTML coding or file paths

• 31. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Rob,

Could this also be the problem I have with Publish Online mp3 files not playing on Page Load but only on button or self click?

• 32. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

I would think so. I haven't tried Publish online with media assets.

• 33. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                                          summertimeluv Level 1

Are these sound files set to Play on Page Load. <-- well @SandeeCohen i did set my .mp3 on Play on Page Load & it worked perfectly fine for me.. on the Publish online

• 34. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                                            summertimeluv Level 1

at rob day - rob if you have a minute could you kindly take a look at this: again

you see.. the animation is not centered... too much margin on top & not equal margin on either sides...

do you how to change the margins in dreamweaver? (or else ill just head to the dreamweaver forum)

Thank you

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 11.42.09.png

IN DREAMWEAVER IT LOOKS LIKE THIS (this is the HTML file GENERATED by indesign!)

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 11.41.15.png

HERE IS THE CODE SECTION

although the alignment is set to *MIDDLE*.. but it doesnt really look *middle* to me...

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 11.41.38.png

• 35. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

I center with a CSS style. So add this style to the header or include it in your loaded style sheet. Here I'm using the width and height of your swf, the left and top margins are half the width and height:

<!-- CSS Centers the swf on the page. Note: width and height need to match the swf and margin left and right are -.50%-->
                                                                              <style type="text/css">
                                                                                  #flashcontent {width: 1120px; height: 874px; margin-left: -560px; margin-top: -437px; position: absolute; left: 50%; top: 50%;}
                                                                              </style>

And then wrap the content after the body in a div

<body style="background-color: #999999">
                                                                                  <div id="flashcontent">

<!-- Javascript loading code here-->

</div>
                                                                              </body>

• 36. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                                                summertimeluv Level 1

ok.. i tried copy pasting the codes.. but i must say that ive NO IDEA about coding..
                                                                                I just use dreamweavers basic functions with allow me to automatically align everythg so no coding required

so i randomly posted your code lines above where i thought they could fit

but when i saw the result in the browser i saw that it didnt change anythg and i am not surprised...

i wouldn't want to make you waste more of your time unnecessarily so i think for this part ill just head to the DW forum!!

thank you so much

• 37. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                                                  summertimeluv Level 1

I no longer build Flash sites and assets, even when a client asks for it, because I know eventually the "why doesn't it work on my iPad" question will come up. <--- so what did you replace it by? because flash give sooooo many super cool options which nothing else does in my view.. so i am quite curious what you use now?

Html5? but that is nothing like flash... you can do it ONLY if you know coding.. people like me who no NOTHING of coding can still use flash & come up with super creative & professional looking stuff...

• 38. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded

Html5? but that is nothing like flash...

But HTML5 plus Javascript is. At least it is good enough for typical, and even some very complex web animations and applications.

so i am quite curious what you use now?

Wordpress.

The coding (ActionScript in FlashBuilder) for doing highend work like gaming is much more difficult than HTML/CSS. As you are finding out InDesign's SWF export is relatively limited and completely mobile unfriendly. Google is now penalizing sites that do not dynamically adjust themselves to the visitor's mobile screens—it would just be a matter of time before your client realized that. An InDesign generated HTML/SWF page will never get indexed in any meaningful way unless you provide alternate content inside of the HTML wrapper.

I have a couple of Flash sites that detect mobile devices and provide alternate pages from the same database, but that's very difficult coding which not too many clients are willing to pay for.

• 39. Re: Music not playing in .swf once uploaded
                                                                                      summertimeluv Level 1

Well... flash fulfills my current needs

as i dont need my document to be indexed by google

i dont even want everyone to access it

so i dont care

plus i don't want people to see it on their phones..

so im ok with it not opening on cell phone

although i would have liked it to open on ipad but im ok it doesnt as the best experience for my document is a laptop or a desktop

now the only thing i need to figure out is how to centralize my .swf on the screen by adjusting the .html & im good to go! :-)

1 2 Previous Next