12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 10:06 PM by Errys

Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog

Errys Level 1

I saw this link already but it doesn't tell me how to copy the library, she simply moves the photos from one hard drive to another How to Copy Files to an External Hard Drive in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

I want to know how I can make a second copy of my library on my second back up drive, in case my primary one fails and I want it so that my catalog will sync with my second back up drive.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

The easy answer is to-

1. Close Lightroom

2. Use software to 'mirror' your Master Pictures folder and sub-folders from the working Primary drive to the second EHD.

Some suggested free Windows software- SyncBack, MS-Synctoy, FreeFileSync.

*If your Lightroom catalog folder exists within the Master Pictures folders, it will be included in the 'mirror'

*You could exclude the ...Previews.lrdata folder from the EHD. (it can be huge, and it can be re-built)

*Note: "mirroring" makes an exact copy of files, it both adds new files and deletes 'deleted' files from the EHD. It should not be used as a backup system- Deleted files are also deleted from the 'mirrored copy'.

*Note: You should not access the EHD copy by using the working Lightroom Master catalog on the Primary Drive- this will only create chaos.

3. To restore from a system crash the EHD 'mirror' will have the catalog and image files in the exact state at the time of the last 'mirror'. Copy all back to the Primary drive and open the Catalog .LRCAT file. Lightroom is back in business.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want to copy the catalog or images or both???

• 3. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
              Errys Level 1

Wobertc got it, I believe the correct term is a "mirror" so it is the exact same images as my primary drive. I also want my catalog to work with this mirror. I don't to add the two mirror onto the catalog. I just two different hard drives with the same photos to be able to work with one catalog. If you need clarification just let me know, I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology.

• 4. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                Errys Level 1

I already have an exact copy of my photos on my second hard drive. Do I need this software to create the mirror?

Also, I'm using a MacBook, are there any specific software that you can recommend for a Mac?

"*Note: You should not access the EHD copy by using the working Lightroom Master catalog on the Primary Drive- this will only create chaos."

I want to be able to use the two different external hard drives on one catalog. Currently, my primary drive is linked to the catalog. However, when I use my second external "mirror" it doesn't sync with the catalog. How can I fix this? Was it this step, "If your Lightroom catalog folder exists within the Master Pictures folders, it will be included in the 'mirror'?"

• 5. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

The reason it doesn't link up with your catalog is that it is on a disk with a different name. You would have to specifically tell Lightroom to use the photos on the 2nd disk. To do this, in Lightroom, you would right-click on the top level (parent) folder and select Update Folder Location if both disks are attached, or if only one disk is attached, right click on the top level folder and select Find Missing Folder.

By the way, do you have a backup/mirror of you catalog file? You need to make this backup on a regular and automated basis.

• 6. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                    Errys Level 1

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. When I attach my mirror drive, the photos don't even come up on Lightroom though. How can I make it so that the folders show up, when I plug in my mirror drive?

I'm assuming those instructions are then done after I figure out how to show the folders.

Lastly, yes I keep my catalog on my laptop and I back it up with a different (or third) hard drive with time machine.

• 7. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                      Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As others have mentioned the mirror/copy should just be left unless needed.

However you will have your reasons.. so to switch between the drives you need an identical folder structure with a Top Level Folder so when switching only one folder needs reconnecting...

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 4.24.31 PM.png

You can see on this drive how the Top Level Folder is named "SP700" Images and all other folders are inside that. Now on my back up/mirror the same is shown so if I want to link the the second disk I just need to reconnect the "SP700" folder and all the contained folders/files get connected as well.

So you need to ensure you have a Top level Folder in each location.... then switching is easy. Can you do that???

• 8. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                        wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I already have an exact copy of my photos on my second hard drive. Do I need this software to create the mirror?

No. If the folder structure and filenames are identical, no other software is needed. (But it makes it easier to 'mirror')

specific software that you can recommend for a Mac?

I am not a Mac person, but there has to be something out there!

"If your Lightroom catalog folder exists within the Master Pictures folders, it will be included in the 'mirror'?"

This was just suggesting that you will have a 'copy' of the Master catalog on the copy drive, but it must not be opened or used except in the total loss of your master catalog.

As DJ and Jeff say above, if you must swap drives to use the copy versions of your photos, you would open LR with the Master catalog and re-connect or re-link the top-level folder.

Read- Part 2 - Updating Folder Location at-

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 9. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                          dj_paige Level 9

Errys wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. When I attach my mirror drive, the photos don't even come up on Lightroom though. How can I make it so that the folders show up, when I plug in my mirror drive?

This is explained in my earlier post and also in the instructions in the link given by wobertc.

I'm assuming those instructions are then done after I figure out how to show the folders.

The folders on your first external HD are shown in Lightroom, on the left hand side of the Library Module, under "Folders". This is where you perform the action. You right-click on the top level folder of the first external HD and then select Update Folder Location, and then a dialog box appears in which you select the top level folder of the 2nd external HD.

• 10. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                            Errys Level 1

Got it! So on the mirror it should have that same top folder. Then, all I have to do is "Update Folder Location" and it will all be synced with my catalog. Thank you so much!

• 11. Re: Copy library from one External HD to another EHD and sync catalog
                              Errys Level 1

So it is beneficial to have a copy of my catalog onto my mirror as well?