4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2016 5:54 PM by Michael J. Hoffman

Does anyone else feel thoroughly gamed by Adobe Support?

Chitoor

In December 2015, I bought Adobe Creative Cloud Student-Teacher version on a monthly subscription. In June 2016, I was told that I could not access my applications since I only had a Trial membership but could upgrade. By then I had already been billed for that month.

I contacted Adobe 24-hour Chat Support, and was told that there was a technical glitch, and that I should just buy a new account, and they would refund me the billed amount. It took them 3 days to come up with this solution and in this time, I lost a project since I could no longer access Photoshop and Illustrator. One client shifted his work to another agency.

I bought a new CC Student-Teacher account but one month later, the same problem again. I was billed, and then told I had only a Trial account and would have to upgrade.

I contacted Adobe Support, to be told this was a technical glitch on their side, and that I should create a new email account and try again. I was furious at the casual way that Adobe Support the solution to their technical glitch was me creating a new email account. I refused on principle, and demanded a solution from their side. I was and am in the thick of a project it has taken me five months to get, and now, thanks to Adobe, my delivery schedule is jeopardized.

Adobe told me they had 'escalated' my case, and I would hear back in 24 hours.

I called back 24 hours later and was told that because of the high volume of requests, my case was delayed. The agent said she would "personally follow up" — exactly the words used by the previous agent. These guys are automatons. They read out from scripts and don't mean a thing they say.

After I insisted, she told me she had spoken to her supervisor and "re-escalated" my case. And that I would hear back in 2 hours.

In the meanwhile, the client has withdrawn the work, because I could not deliver.

Adobe is screwing poor artists and designers like me, and it doesn't really care. It's CC subscription now has me in a stranglehold, and they have outsourced their entire support to an idiocracy of call centers in India, whose best line is :"We do appreciate your concern, sir. Will there be any other issue?"

If anyone has any suggestions how I could possibly get the attention of someone who cares and matters at Adobe, I would be very grateful.

• 1. Re: Does anyone else feel thoroughly gamed by Adobe Support?
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Chitoor,

I don't have access to the Student/Teacher edition at the moment, but as I recall, it is not permitted to use the Student/Teacher software for commercial work. If you have paying clients, you should be using the standard version.

However, as to your experience, are you sure you have your dates right? The promotional pricing terms of the Student/Teacher purchase indicate that it automatically converts to a standard license (and cost) after the first year.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

If you didn't get your full year, someone here in these forums from Adobe may be able to help, but if you're using the Student/Teacher version for commercial work you might find difficulty in getting back on that plan.

Mike

• 2. Re: Does anyone else feel thoroughly gamed by Adobe Support?
            Chitoor Level 1

Hi ACP —

Students in the school are not allowed to have paying clients, who are typically workers cooperatives and NGOs. Students are meant to be professional and competitive but are not a bona fide agency, and the output is meant to be usable, and not allowed to charge, as it is regarded as project work. Getting clients is difficult and losing them is easy, since students are regarded as beginners.

As for your other point, I never got as far as a year with the CC account. I bought the account in December 2015 but it lapsed to a Trial account in June 2016. They told me to buy a new one, and the new one lapsed into a Trial account after a month. Now I'm on a new account.

Gopi

• 3. Re: Does anyone else feel thoroughly gamed by Adobe Support?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

it is not permitted to use the Student/Teacher software for commercial work. If you have paying clients, you should be using the standard version.

The Student/Teacher version can definitely be used for commercial work. There is no issue with that.

Adobe Creative Cloud Education FAQ

"Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?

Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially on your privately owned computer. They may not be resold."

• 4. Re: Does anyone else feel thoroughly gamed by Adobe Support?
                Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

John Waller wrote:

The Student/Teacher version can definitely be used for commercial work. There is no issue with that.

Adobe Creative Cloud Education FAQ

"Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?

Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially on your privately owned computer. They may not be resold."

John, I stand corrected; thanks for clarifying that. So the original issue still remains.

Chitoor, Adobe has had a holiday shutdown in the past week and many staff have been out of the office. Hopefully one of the helpful team who monitors this forum will jump in by tomorrow.

Mike