5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2016 5:27 PM by AussieMaggie

Reset the default in Lr

AussieMaggie

I want to reset the default so when ever I open a new lrcat file all of the presets which I have created, (locations presets, Bird species, etc)  automatically changed for new lrcat . I know it is simple, I just can't figure it out.   Thanks for any help.

Maggie

• 1. Re: Reset the default in Lr
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

AussieMaggie wrote:

I want to reset the default so when ever I open a new lrcat file all of the presets which I have created, (locations presets, Bird species, etc) automatically changed for new lrcat . I know it is simple, I just can't figure it out. Thanks for any help.

Maggie

Not sure what you mean by the bold/underlined section above.

Not sure that is possible with a new catalog.

But the way to reset LR back to the Adobe Defaults for the Develop module is to go to that module, click on Develop menu item, then Set Default Settings and in the dialog that comes up click the button that says "Restore Adobe Default Settings".

But as far as created presets they should all show in a new catalog. Those aren't Catalog specific, they are global to the program.

As far as keywords and collection those are catalog specific and will need to be recreated.

Question is why are you creating new catalogs?

LR works best when all images are in one catalog not spread out over multiple catalogs.

• 2. Re: Reset the default in Lr
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It really is more efficient to work with a single catalog. Your photos can be categorized in folders and in collections, and by using different keywords, star ratings and color labels. Spreading your images over multiple catalogs can become confusing. But the choice is yours.

• 3. Re: Reset the default in Lr
              elie_di Level 3

"...the presets which I have created, (locations presets, Bird species, etc)..."

That phrase makes it sound as though the OP is referring to collections, not presets. It would make sense to group bird photos in collections by species, but why would you have different Develop presets for different species? Sparrows are sharpened differently than robins?

And as said above, collections are catalog specific; another good reason not to have multiple catalogs.

• 4. Re: Reset the default in Lr
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

a new lrcat file (with) all of the presets which I have created,

One catalog- is always good advice as above.

But if you insist on multiple catalogs for a special reason-

1. In your master catalog, 'Catalog' panel, choose 'all photographs'

2. Choose  Menu > File > Export as Catalog...

3. Give the new catalog a name.

4. De-select all options   ScreenShot045.jpg

5. [Save]

6. Close current Catalog and Open the 'New' Catalog.  (or-  Choose Menu > File > Open Catalog...  )

7. In the 'New' catalog select all photographs

8. Press [Delete] and choose "REMOVE"  (**Warning Do NOT choose 'Delete from Disk' .!!!)

And I will restate -DO NOT "Delete from Disk".  This would delete all your photographs from the computer.

The "Remove" option just removes all photo thumbnail and previews from the catalog, leaving you with a new 'empty' catalog that contains all your presets and keywords from the copied catalog.

• 5. Re: Reset the default in Lr
                  AussieMaggie Level 1

Thank you all for all of that great advice. What would we do without you all?