11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 7:22 PM by srkleiman

After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS

Torsten Feld

I just updated the cli version in my config.xml from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0. Everything worked fine so far but my custom splash screen on iOS was replaced by the default cordova / phonegap splash.

I'm not sure, if I need to change something after the cli upgrade. Looking forward to any hints or ideas.

Here's the relevant part of the config.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
      <widget xmlns       = "http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
              xmlns:gap   = "http://phonegap.com/ns/1.0"
              id          = "xyz"
              versionCode = "19"
              version     = "0.1.18">
        <preference name="phonegap-version" value="cli-5.4.1" />
        <preference name="SplashScreen" value="splash" />
        <preference name="SplashScreenDelay" value="3000" />
        <preference name="FadeSplashScreen" value="false"/>
        <preference name="ShowSplashScreenSpinner" value="false"/>

<platform name="ios">
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon.png" width="57" height="57"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon@2x.png" width="114" height="114"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-40.png" width="40" height="40"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-40@2x.png" width="80" height="80"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-50.png" width="50" height="50"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-50@2x.png" width="100" height="100"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-60.png" width="60" height="60"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-60@2x.png" width="120" height="120"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-60@3x.png" width="180" height="180"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-72.png" width="72" height="72"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-72@2x.png" width="144" height="144"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-76.png" width="76" height="76"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-76@2x.png" width="152" height="152"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-small.png" width="29" height="29"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-small@2x.png" width="58" height="58"/>
          <icon src="resources/ios/icon/icon-small@3x.png" width="87" height="87"/>
          <splash src="resources/ios/splash/Default-568h@2x~iphone.png" width="640" height="1136"/>
          <splash src="resources/ios/splash/Default-Portrait~ipad.png" width="768" height="1024"/>
          <splash src="resources/ios/splash/Default@2x~iphone.png" width="640" height="960"/>
          <splash src="resources/ios/splash/Default~iphone.png" width="320" height="480"/>
        </platform>
        <plugin name="cordova-plugin-splashscreen" spec="3.2.2" />
      </widget>

• 1. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
          VectorP Level 4

Several possibilities:

a) You are holding the device in landscape orientation. Your package doesn't contain landscape splashes, although you are building for both orientations.

b) You only have four splashes. Several larger dimensions are missing. If you are testing with a larger display device, the appropriate splashscreen image is not included in your assets

c) The actual graphic dimensions are not exactly as specified in your config

d) The targeted graphic file is not really a png file (but rather of a different mime type)

e) The path and/or the file name is incorrect

f) You don't have both index.html and config.xml in the same directory of your upload package.

• 2. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
            Torsten Feld Level 1

Thanks for your response!

I might miss something but I didn't change anything beside the cli version. The resource files and the device I'm testing with (iPhone 6S) are the same.

Regarding a): I limited the orientation to portrait only.

Further information: resource files were automatically created by "ionic resources"

• 3. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
              VectorP Level 4

Well, you have a new Phonegap Build version now, which is different from the cli-5.x versions. So, even if you changed nothing, things might not work as expected anymore, because the environment is different!

Also, the correct splash for iPhone6S is NOT included in your config (and I assume, not in your assets, either). As I said, other larger splashes are missing, too.

See Launch Screen - Graphics - iOS Human Interface Guidelines

And....if your resources were generated by Ionic, chances are that indeed the directory structure of whatever you are uploading is wrong. Do you have both index.html and config.xml in the same (root) directory?

• 4. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                dinhl75813859 Level 1

hi

did you manage to get this to work?  I have the same problem too.  Now that update to phonegap 6.3.0 when i open the app it displays the default phonegap logo.

Joseph

• 5. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                  dank77762582

I've been struggling with this for a week of two.

Finally have the answer!

The announcement at the beginning of the forum did the trick.

I added "<preference name="phonegap-version" value="cli-5.2.0" />" to use 5.2.0 instead of 6.3.0 solved the problem.

The ONLY change I made was to add the preference for the older version.

Give it a try.

• 6. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                    srkleiman Level 1

I also had to back off to cli-5.4.1 to get splashscreens to work. Anyone know of a fix?

• 7. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                      kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

Difficult to help without seeing your config.xml and project structure.

• 8. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                        srkleiman Level 1

Just to be clear, my splash screens work fine with cli-5.X, but they are not exactly in the widths and heights that are suggested in the documentation. It's a holdover from when the status bar was not included in the size. Would this break cli-6.X?

Here's the relevant parts of my config.xml:

<platform name="android">
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-android-ldpi.png"        gap:density="ldpi" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-android-mdpi.png"        gap:density="mdpi" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-android-hdpi.png"        gap:density="hdpi" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-android-xhdpi.png"       gap:density="xhdpi" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-android-port-ldpi.png"   gap:density="ldpi" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-android-port-mdpi.png"   gap:density="mdpi" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-android-port-hdpi.png"   gap:density="hdpi" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-android-port-xhdpi.png"  gap:density="xhdpi" />
                        </platform>
                        <platform name="ios">
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-57.png"            width="57" height="57" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-72.png"            width="72" height="72" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-76.png"            width="76" height="76" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-114.png"           width="114" height="114" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-120.png"           width="120" height="120" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-144.png"           width="144" height="144" />
                          <icon src="img/TBM-icon-app-ios-152.png"           width="152" height="152" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-ipad-port.png"         width="768" height="1004" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-ipad-land.png"         width="1024" height="748" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-ipad-port-2x.png"      width="1536" height="2008" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-ipad-land-2x.png"      width="2048" height="1496" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-iphone-port.png"       width="320" height="460" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-iphone-port-2x.png"    width="640" height="960" />
                          <splash src="img/TBM-splash-iphone5-port.png"      width="640" height="1136" />
                        </platform>
                        <splash src="splash.png" />
                        <preference name="phonegap-version"           value="cli-5.4.1" />
                        <preference name="permissions"                value="none" />
                        <preference name="orientation"                value="default" />
                        <preference name="target-device"              value="universal" />
                        <preference name="fullscreen"                 value="false" />
                        <preference name="webviewbounce"              value="true" />
                        <preference name="prerendered-icon"           value="true" />
                        <preference name="stay-in-webview"            value="false" />
                        <preference name="detect-data-types"          value="false" />
                        <preference name="exit-on-suspend"            value="false" />
                        <preference name="android-installLocation"    value="auto" />
                        <preference name="android-minSdkVersion"      value="17" />
                        <preference name="AutoHideSplashScreen"       value="true" />
                        <preference name="FadeSplashScreen"           value="false" />
                        <preference name="SplashScreenDelay"          value="8000" />
                        <preference name="SplashShowOnlyFirstTime"    value="false" />
                        <preference name="StatusBarOverlaysWebview"   value="false" />
                        <preference name="StatusBarBackgroundColor"   value="#000000" />
                        <preference name="StatusBarStyle"             value="blackopaque" />
                        <plugin name="cordova-plugin-splashscreen"    spec="3.2.2" />
                        <plugin name="cordova-plugin-statusbar"       spec="2.1.3" />
                        <plugin name="cordova-plugin-whitelist"       spec="1.2.2" />

• 9. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                          VectorP Level 4

but they are not exactly in the widths and heights that are suggested in the documentation

You should not do that for iOS (and not with a previous PGB version, either). Create and specify the proper dimensions, and everything will show just fine.

For Android, you may want to add xxhdpi and xxxhdpi, for iOS, several splashes are missing as well.

• 10. Re: After update of cli from 5.4.1 to 6.1.0 splash screen is not shown on iOS
                            kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

The splash screens must be the correct heights and widths, or 6.x will fail to move them into the bundle. I don't know how recent that change is, but that might explain why things were working (even if incorrectly) under 5.x.

1 person found this helpful