9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 1:31 PM by Bill Gehrke

I7/16g ram Intel iris 540

anthonyv10107929

i just ordered a new envy laptop with the following specs and want to be sure that it will run premier pro and Photoshop

Thank you

HP ENVY x360 - 15t Touch Laptop
      Product number: T5K88AV

Security Software Trial
      Office Software Trial
      Intel® Core™ i7-6560U (2.2 GHz, up to 3.2 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) + Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540
      HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
      Full-size island-style backlit keyboard
      15.6" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160) Touchscreen (for HD Camera)
      16GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8GB)
      4-cell 55.67 WHr Lithium-ion Battery
      Windows 10 Home 64
      No DVD or CD Drive
      1TB 7200 rpm SATA+ 128GB M.2 SSD
      Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
        • 2. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
          anthonyv10107929 Level 1

I read that, it seemed to not be definitive

I also read this which was left open ended as well

integrated GPUs in Intel 6th generation CPU supported by Premiere Pro 2015 ?

• 3. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
            RjL190365 Level 4

There are several drawbacks to that laptop:

1) No dual-core CPU will perform anywhere near as fast as even a mediocre-performing contemporaneous quad-core CPU when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro. And in the case of that i7-6560U CPU, it is actually slower than a desktop i3 CPU because it turbos to only 3.1 GHz when both cores are in use (whereas the i3-6100 desktop CPU runs stock at 3.7 GHz).

2) There is no discrete nVidia GPU (or any other discrete GPU) at all in that laptop, which means that it relies solely on that integrated Intel Iris 540 graphics. And while that chip may enable hardware-accelerated H.264 encoding, its performance with Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) is relatively slow in comparison to even most of the low-end discrete GPUs, let alone higher-end ones.

3) If you rely on that 1TB hard drive for your media, be advised that even at 7200 RPM, those 2.5" laptop-sized hard drives can barely reach 130 MB/second in sequential transfers - and that's on the very outer tracks of the disk. That isn't all that much faster than a 5400 RPM hard drive with otherwise identical specs.

• 4. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
              anthonyv10107929 Level 1

I'm not trying to be rude...

but I have no idea what you said other than - the laptop I bought sucks

can you make a suggestion?

• 5. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
                Kelly.Song

Hi!

I have Dell XPS 13 9350, same graphic chip as yours.

I have problem running PS cc 2015.

Every time I run Batch of smart sharpening, I get corrupt photo about 2-3 out 10 photos.

I am still looking for a solution but unless Intel or Adobe comes with a patch, I am stuck with having to

check my Batch photos one by one.....

Anyone out there have a intelligent solution, please enlighten me!

Thx!!

• 6. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

you may want to ask in the photoshop forum  Photoshop

if you disable all video card and opencl options and restart photoshop, does batch smart sharpening work without corrupting any photos?

if its a graphics issue, have you tried installing several different driver versions to see if one version fixes it?Intel - Drivers & Software

does this happen with an older version of photoshop?

• 7. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
                    Kelly.Song Level 1

Thx Ronin!

Just saw that I was in Premier area.... :-p

If I unable GPU and OpenGL it works as it should. But the whole thing takes like 5 times longeer.

It worked just fine up until PS CC 2015, then this happens after I upgrade to PS CC 2015.5.

The drivers in Intel does not support my card. I was directed to go to Dell.

And I have the lasted one (from jul).

The only configuration change before this incident is upgrade to PS CC 2015.5......................

Funny thing is that it works fine if I run smart sharpen in Legacy, but then there is no noise setting.

It feels like a trade off.....

Is Iris 540 such a bad Graphic card??????

• 8. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
                      RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

these notebooks/laptops with U series processors are low powered cpu and graphics. many people would consider them only good for browsing the internet and email etc... the iris 540 is weak.

the dell driver from july appears to be version 15.40.26.64.4483, while the latest one on intel website is version 15.40.28.4501. i find it strange the intel driver does not work, it should work with any machine with the iris 540. sometimes a driver update fixes problems like the one you have, but it might be more of a photoshop problem and perhaps the driver update won't help...

you should be able to install an older version of photoshop, like cc2014, and still keep the cc2015.5 installed. you could then use cc2014 to batch smart sharpen, and use cc2015.5 for everything else. if there is a problem with photoshop cc2015, perhaps the people in the photoshop forum know about it.

• 9. Re: I7/16g ram Intel iris 540
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not understand why anyone would want a 4K resolution screen at 15.6", can anyone tell me why?