8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 10:58 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Ram Preview BUG

Avid1962

Since updating to CC15.3 whenever I try and ram preview if I stop the cache process before the end of the Ram preview selection the audio will repeat itself after 5 seconds while the video continues to preview the remaining cached frames.  This is very troubling and makes working with audio and previews extremely cumbersome.  The only way to get the ram preview to play the correct audio and video together is to set the ram preview selection let it completely finish the selection then play.  No longer can we stop it halfway to watch.  Thanks Adobe.

• 1. Re: Ram Preview BUG
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds frustrating!

Are you simply ranting at Adobe (which is understandable) or do you want us to try to help you solve the problem?

If you want help, sharing some more info might help. I'm not experiencing the issue you're talking about on my Windows or Mac machines, so there is something different with your system that is causing it. Please share as much detail as you can think of.

Specifically, OS and system specs would be good to know. Also, what keyboard commands are you using to launch a preview? Can we please see the preview panel expanded with the options showing for whichever keyboard command you are using?

• 2. Re: Ram Preview BUG
            Avid1962 Level 1

Frustration has gotten the best of me.  Multiple crashes and Ram

previews that no longer work make it very difficult to meet deadlines. 

Yes I would love some help trying to figure out a solution.  I am

attempting to revert my version back one in the meantime to get through

my current project.

I am using a PC running on windows 64 Pro

32 gigs of Ram

Nvidea Quadro 4000  graphics Card

I have 8 TB of internal Raid as my media drive.

I also use a AJA IO Express for monitor output.

I have cleared the Cache multiple times and cleaned the database

multiple times.

I am working with a 2 minute comp that has effects timed to music and

other elements so I need to be able to watch and hear the previews as I

work.

When i set an area for the preview, Lets say it is a 15 second section. 

As I watch it cache about halfway through I may notice a mistake so

rather than waste the time caching the remainder I simply stop the

process and play the frames that have been cached.  When the playback

begins it looks fine but halfway through the cached material the video

continues to play properly but the Audio jumps back to the starting

point of the preview and sort of loops.  It makes it very difficult to

fix the issue especially if they are a timing issue.  If I let the Ram

preview selection completely cache the entire section that I defined it

plays properly.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Ram Preview BUG

Avid1962 wrote:

I am using a PC running on windows 64 Pro

Which version of Windows?

The last part of my previous post is the really important part. Screenshots of your whole preview panel and an explanation of exactly which keyboard buttons you're pressing will be very helpful.

What version of After Effects did you have before you updated?

By the way, in the future, when you install a new version of After Effects, don't let the Creative Cloud app remove your old versions. See this post for more info.

• 4. Re: Ram Preview BUG
                Avid1962 Level 1

Sorry I thought I gave you the OS forgot the 7 part.[image: Inline image 1]

I use the number pad 0 to start the cache process and usually hit 0 again

to stop it and watch the resulting cached preview.

I recently updated from CS6 to the cloud and started with 2015.2.  I felt

that there were some issues with 2015.2 that might have been addressed in

2015.3 so when I saw the update I installed it.  I have been working with

CS6 for several years now and never experienced as many issues as I have

since my recent CC upgrade.  Thanks for the advice and you can be sure I

will not only NOT overwrite the old version I think I will wait for the

jury to come back before even trying to install a new version.  What else

do you need to know?

Thanks

John

• 5. Re: Ram Preview BUG

Images don't come through email attachments. You have to attach by dragging to the forum reply window or by clicking the picture icon over the reply window.

Once I see what options you've got set up in your preview panel, I'll know a bit more what to suggest.

Just so you know, CC 2015 and CC 2015.3 (completely different versions by the way - CC 2015.3 should have been called CC 2016, but that's another discussion) are very unique compared to any versions of AE that came before. AE CC 2015 was the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it.

One of the big changes that you may have noticed is that you can keep messing with things while a preview is caching or running. (It's just called a preview now, by the way. RAM preview is dead - long live Preview...)

Anyway, there have been a few persistent and annoying bugs for some people with this new preview architecture. I'm hoping you aren't experiencing any of them and that we'll be able to get things working more better for you.

Remember, your subscription fee includes access to all versions of AE from CS6 onward. So, if you want to use the latest/greatest version before they introduced the new architecture, you can install CC 2014 via the CC app and give it a try.

• 6. Re: Ram Preview BUG
                    Avid1962 Level 1

Windows OS.JPGAE_Ram Prev.JPG

Sorry I was trying to respond to you remotely.  Now I am on my system and can use the forum interface.  I actually am familiar with the 2014 version I work on it regularly at one of my client facilities.  I recently upgraded my business system from CS6 to  CC 2015.2 .  I also am aware of the Ram preview being removed but unless I am missing something you cant just play a comp in real time unless it is first cached thus "Ram Preview"?

I was using the exact same function and process with 2015.2 without issue.  Once I updated to 2015.3  that is when the for lack of better words "Ram Preview" started doing what I described earlier.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out and helping me understand the changes in the software.

• 7. Re: Ram Preview BUG

What happens if you use spacebar instead? Does it behave?

• 8. Re: Ram Preview BUG
                        Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

This issue is fixed in the After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8.1) bug-fix update. This update, available now, can be installed using the Creative Cloud desktop application, or by choosing Help > Updates inside any Adobe application.