17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 6:10 AM by capegirl1

LRCC is slow

capegirl1

I have the top end Macbook Pro with the upgraded processor.  While using LR,  I keep getting the spinning ball and its becoming very frustrating.  It doesn't always respond.  I have already gone into the performance and unchecked use graphics card to see if it would make a difference.  It did not.  I have closed down LR and reopened it and no difference.  I am at a loss.  I had my computer checked out by Apple and they don't see any issues with it.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

• 1. Re: LRCC is slow
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What pixel dimensions are your screen?

• 2. Re: LRCC is slow
            capegirl1 Level 1

2880x1800  retina

• 3. Re: LRCC is slow

GPU computations were added to speed things up for hi-res displays.  A 3K such as you have may or may not be helped.  My 1.7K is fine without the GPU.

Have you paused Face Detection?

• 4. Re: LRCC is slow
                capegirl1 Level 1

Face detection where? In LR or my laptop? 

• 5. Re: LRCC is slow
                  dj_paige Level 9

capegirl1 wrote:

I have the top end Macbook Pro with the upgraded processor. While using LR, I keep getting the spinning ball and its becoming very frustrating. It doesn't always respond. I have already gone into the performance and unchecked use graphics card to see if it would make a difference. It did not. I have closed down LR and reopened it and no difference. I am at a loss. I had my computer checked out by Apple and they don't see any issues with it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you state the exact CPU and GPU in your computer?

Exactly what tasks in Lightroom produce the spinning ball?

Are you performing a lot of brushing or spot healing on each photo?

• 6. Re: LRCC is slow
                    capegirl1 Level 1

Performing brushing, healing, gradient........happens regularly . 

Memory 16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB

2.8Ghz Intel Core i7

• 7. Re: LRCC is slow
                      capegirl1 Level 1

Shouldn't be happening, thats why I bought this high end mac.  I am beginning to hate LR.

• 8. Re: LRCC is slow

Click the || to pause Face Detection if it isn't already Paused.

• 9. Re: LRCC is slow
                          capegirl1 Level 1

Says, face detection paused.

• 10. Re: LRCC is slow
                            dj_paige Level 9

capegirl1 wrote:

Performing brushing, healing, gradient........happens regularly .

This is most likely the problem. If you do lots of brushing or spot healing on a single photo, Lightroom will slow down. This is a known issue with Lightroom.

The solutions are (in no particular order):

1. Turn off the Graphics acceleration in Lightroom
                            2. Do the brushing and spot healing as the next to last step in your editing; and the last step would be to turn on Lens Corrections
                            3. Do the brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
                            4. Get a faster GPU
                            • 11. Re: LRCC is slow
                              capegirl1 Level 1

I do not think this is a computer issue.  I have tried all the above I believe and nothing seems to work.  I am not good with PS unfortunately.  And since my mac is fairly new, I dont think I will be getting a faster GPU.  Plus its doesnt get any faster.

This is unacceptable.  I will be calling Adobe.

• 12. Re: LRCC is slow
                                dj_paige Level 9

First, I made a mistake, it should say "Get a faster CPU"

You can call Adobe if you want, but the fact is that this is a known problem, that lots of brushing and spot healing will cause Lightroom to slow down, and the only ways I know of that can improve the problem are the ones I stated. You're not going to find the magic cure, it doesn't exist.

• 13. Re: LRCC is slow
                                  capegirl1 Level 1

Do you have the same problem then? Appreciate the help. 

• 14. Re: LRCC is slow
                                    dj_paige Level 9

I had the problem in the past on an old and very slow computer. When a bought a brand new computer with a much faster CPU, the problem went away.

• 15. Re: LRCC is slow
                                      capegirl1 Level 1

Interesting........ok.  Maybe I will go back to the mac store.  What is your CPU/GPU if you dont mind me asking??

• 16. Re: LRCC is slow
                                        dj_paige Level 9

I have a i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz, and the GPU acceleration is turned off, but there's a lot more to it than that.

You have a much larger screen than I do, this means that Lightroom will have to do more work to fill the screen (which of course means that things will be slower) and you may be doing a lot more brushing/spot healing than I did. All of these things factor into the speed that you are seeing.

To be honest, I think (in other words, THIS IS MY OPINION) right now Adobe does not have a good solution for people who want to do a lot of brushing in Lightroom on computers that have the new larger screens like you do. Maybe if you bought the fastest CPU that exists today, it will work fine, I don't know, but there's no way to find out until you actually make the purchase. (As I stated above, Photoshop will not have the slightest problem with this brushing)

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: LRCC is slow
                                          capegirl1 Level 1

Thanks so much for info.  Maybe I will switch to a different software for my editing.  Nik software is free......