4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 9:53 AM by Bill in Wisconsin

Lightroom file renaming chaos

Bill in Wisconsin

After I rename a set of images (all .dng) in LR, the images suddenly begin to behave strangely in the library module. Some rotate, some display the wrong image. If I click on "go to finder" the correct image is shown in the finder. I am running LR CC2015.6 on an iMac running OS X (10.11.5), but have had this same issue going back to LR 4. Previously I found that if I delete the previews file and restart LR, the problem goes away temporarily, but if I continue to rename files then it recurs fairly quickly. I would love to find a real solution to this problem. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Lightroom file renaming chaos
          SausalitoDog Level 2

Bill-

Are you sure you aren't getting trouble from renaming that can be cured by setting the View>Sort settings?

This is about the only thing I can think of that would change what you see in library module.

tom

• 2. Re: Lightroom file renaming chaos
            Bob Somrak Level 5

Several version ago I had a similar problem renaming files for another person that wanted their culled files renamed is certain sequences.  As an example I would rename files 1, 5 and10 to 9, 10 and 11 where 1 becomes 9, 5 becomes 10 and 10 becomes 11.  I seems Lightroom would rename the files on disk correctly taking into account the rename overlap but the previews would become confused.  I solved the problem by renaming first to 99,100 and 101 and then rename again to 9, 10 and 11.  This solved my preview corruption problem.  I haven't done this in recent versions as I do not rename this way. 

• 3. Re: Lightroom file renaming chaos
              Bill in Wisconsin Level 1

I have view/sort set on grid view, sort by capture time. It isn't a matter of sorting--the image files remain in the correct order when checking in the finder, it's just that the image displayed in LR library will switch to one of the other images (actually looks like there is a duplicate of another image in the folder). This happens seemingly randomly to different images within the folder that I just renamed.

• 4. Re: Lightroom file renaming chaos
                Bill in Wisconsin Level 1

Thanks. I have tried this but still having same problem.