3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 2:07 PM by ssprengel

Lightroom GPU and Vram

mikey28844441

I want to upgrade from Lightroom 5 to 6 on Mac. I only have 256mb vram. Can i still run Lightroom 6 without GPU acceleration or will it not let me install/run?

• 1. Re: Lightroom GPU and Vram
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Mikey ,

Yes, You can still run Lightroom 6 without using GPU.

Before you upgrade, I would highly recommend you to ensure that your computer meets all other system requirements.

Once Lighroom 6 is installed you can switch the GPU usage off following Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom GPU and Vram
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can run LR 6 as a trial, first.  Download the LR 6 installer then the LR 6.5.1 patch from here, then install both:

Install Photoshop Lightroom   If that doesn't work just download LR CC from here:  http://www.adobe.com/lightroom/

Keep in mind that LR installs as LR CC until you register it with a LR 6 serial number, at which time you'll lose Dehaze, B/W Adjustment Brushes, Pano Boundary Warp, Guide Upright, which are LR CC only features until LR 7 if there will be a LR 7.

LR 6 is already up to LR 6.6 so it may not be too many more months before it is obsolete, so it may make more sense to sign up for LR CC at $120/year instead of LR 6 at $80, at least for the first year, then downgrade to LR 7 if there is a LR 7.

• 3. Re: Lightroom GPU and Vram
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR CC/6 will let me enable the GPU on my older 256MB video card on my older Windows 7 computer.  It isn't necessarily better/faster, though, so while you may be able to enable the GPU it may not help, depending on how fast the GPU actually is compared to the CPU of your computer.