10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 1:16 PM by The_Tripper

Remove Old Disk

The_Tripper

I had a disk crash due to a wildly flailing 8 year old and I've recovered to a new disk but the old one is still hanging around in my catalog. Renaming the new location the same as the old isn't practical, so I need to completely delete the old one. Is there a way to tell Lightroom to completely remove a drive from the database? Something like the rm command?

I'm running Lightroom 5.7 on OSX 10.11.5.

• 1. Re: Remove Old Disk
          dj_paige Level 9
          ...  so I need to completely delete the old one. Is there a way to tell Lightroom to completely remove a drive from the database?

No, what you want to do is to point Lightroom to the new disk.

In Lightroom, right-click on the top-level (Parent) folder of your photos from the old disk, select Find Missing Folder, and then in the dialog box that appears, select the top-level (Parent) folder of the new disk. More details are in this document (particularly see Figure 4 and related text) Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: Remove Old Disk
            The_Tripper Level 1

The recovery entailed going back through old disks and backups to reassemble the drive. Needless to day, there was data lost, but about 98% of the original files were recovered. What's missing is the final edits, exports, and directories containing the end results which unfortunately was about 50% of the total data. In short, the new directories don't resemble the old and have been imported into LR in their new locations.  The old data is just hanging around taking up table space in the database.

I don't need to repoint it anywhere, I just need LR to completely forget that the drive was ever there.

• 3. Re: Remove Old Disk
              dj_paige Level 9

This is completely incorrect. You do need to point the Lightroom catalog to the new photos, you may have to do this folder by folder, and then Lightroom will link up the final edits (which are in the catalog) with the new location of the photos.

the new directories don't resemble the old and have been imported into LR in their new locations.

This is a mistake and I suggest you un-do this import of the photos from the new locations by removing the newly imported photos from your Lightroom catalog, and follow the directions I have been providing.

• 4. Re: Remove Old Disk
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As long as the hard drive is connected to the computer, Lightroom is going to see it. But you can right-click on the folders and choose to remove them. This will remove the folders from Lightroom, but they will still exist on the hard drive. I'm curious as to why you say it is impractical to rename. If there is any way that you can link Lightroom with the photos in their new location it can save you a lot of time.

• 5. Re: Remove Old Disk
                  The_Tripper Level 1

That's the issue.  The drive is dead and gone, but Lightroom is stubbornly hanging on to it and it won't go away.

I *do not* wish to repoint the old information to the new, that has already been imported and is exactly the way I want it. Doing that looks to be a waste of time since I have what I want.

• 6. Re: Remove Old Disk
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A couple of ideas to try, but I don't know if they will fix the problem for you. You could delete your preferences file and see if that gets rid of the old hard drive. Here is information on how to find your preferences file:

Where to find preference files for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

Another idea would be to create a new catalog, and then import from the old one.

Is there any chance that another hard drive has assumed the name of the old one that is gone?

• 7. Re: Remove Old Disk
                      dj_paige Level 9

I *do not* wish to repoint the old information to the new, that has already been imported and is exactly the way I want it. Doing that looks to be a waste of time since I have what I want.

Except you don't have the edits, which are in the catalog file. Right? In which case you *do* want to point Lightroom to the new location of the photos. This will not change the location of the photos, but it will link the edits to the photo's new location.

• 8. Re: Remove Old Disk
                        The_Tripper Level 1

I didn't think of that, but all the edits are exported into the final jpegs and a good bit of them are very old. I doubt I'll need to revisit a play I shot in 2007 again.

Seriously, all I want Lightroom to do is to forget that /Volume/Mondo exists so I can make 672,554 old entries go away and stop taking up room in the database.

• 9. Re: Remove Old Disk
                          dj_paige Level 9

Apparently, you don't understand how the catalog works. Your edits are in the catalog file, in all of those old entries you want to remove; the edits are associated with those photos on the old hard disk. You can make use of the edits on the new location of the photos, but you have to follow the directions I have been giving you.

• 10. Re: Remove Old Disk
                            The_Tripper Level 1

But I do understand, probably more than most since I design SAP implementations. The catalog is a SQLite database and somewhere in there is a top tree table space for /Volume/Mondo with 674,000 entries under it. Delete that and it goes away. The trick is how to do it without destroying the database.

Thanks everyone for your help, I must assume there is not an straightforward way for what I want to do.