4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 5:46 AM by trshaner

LR Brush does not work ---sometimes?

robertlue

Hi,

I am not sure how to pose this question but here goes.

About 2  days back I had a problem in lightroom 6.4 . I would brush a section of a photo to apply some changes( e.g. exposure, dodge, burn ...etc) but

the brushed sections would not react to the applied changes.  However in the navigator window I could see the chaages occuring ( the little windowed image on the left side of the screen.) as I asked for in the supposedly brushed sections if I moved my sliders up and down( e.g. Exposure).

I did a search for help in adobe forums for Lr then called adobe support as I had thought this was somehow connected to my upgrade to Adobe LR 6.6....not remebering if this was occuring before or after the upgrade. I now think it started before the upgrade.

I was told to reinstall lightroom and things did seem to work after that. However the problem is reoccurring and randomly..

To resolve the problem this time, I played a bit with the selection specifications of the brush (changed the brush section specification of "dodge.lighten (edited)" to just" Dodge Lighten" and tjhat seemed  to work after a retry).

Also the reaction time of an applied brush seems to be a bit laggy.or slow sometimes.

I am using a DELL PC   with Widows 7 professional ,a Xenon processor with 16G of memory and  K4000 GPU.

The photos I work with are all kept on an external 5tb WD drive as always.

I do not turn my computer off and sleep modes except for the monitor are all off.

My automatic uploads to the cloud and to an photosite run in the background sometimes.

At this point, I am trying to get a  solid feel for the problem which happens intermittently and seemingly randomly ....and to eliminate any errors or unknowns on my part.

The problem has only started recently about 3 days back and at that time I don;t think any changes were made. I remember when the problem started- trying to brush a section of a photo and having no reaction....It had worked great up to that point...

• 1. Re: LR Brush does not work ---sometimes?
          dj_paige Level 9

To resolve the problem this time, I played a bit with the selection specifications of the brush (changed the brush section specification of "dodge.lighten (edited)" to just" Dodge Lighten" and tjhat seemed  to work after a retry).

So you are saying this problem is fixed.

Also the reaction time of an applied brush seems to be a bit laggy.or slow sometimes.

So this is the real problem? If you are doing a lot of brushing or spot healing on a photo, it will get laggy or slow as you apply more and more brushing. This is a known problem in Lightroom. There are several things you can try to improve the problem. In no particular order, the things you can try are:

1. Turn off the Graphic acceleration (Preferences->Performance tab->uncheck the box)
          2. Do the bruhsing or spot healing as the next to last editing step, and then turn on Lens Corrections as the last step (if desired)
          3. Do the brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
          4. Get a faster CPU
          • 2. Re: LR Brush does not work ---sometimes?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

robertlue wrote:

I do not turn my computer off and sleep modes except for the monitor are all off.

There is a memory leak issue with LR 6.6 and CC 2015.6. The fix for this is to close LR and then reopen when it starts running slow. You could also roll-back to LR 6.5.1, which doesn't have this issue.

If what you're saying above is that you never shutdown your computer I suggest trying that as well. Close all applications and restart Windows. I advise doing this at least once a week to prevent issues due to memory data corruption.

• 3. Re: LR Brush does not work ---sometimes?
              robertlue Level 1

Thanks Paige and Trshaner for the feedback ..........

Much appreciated.

The issue is fixed from the last time(somewhat and yes and No) but why is the unknown.

I am presently using Lightroom heavily and when it does this it is a great inconvenience.

As I said it did not happen till a few days ago and then it occurred very suddenly after things had been going problem free before.

My version of Lightroom then was probably the verson before this leaky 6.6 version which I had upgraded to after the problem occurre if memory serves me correctly..

I am trying to understand and avoid this issue.

At this point of troubleshooting I am not sure what to think....

Is there a windows tool I could turn on e.g. Resource Monitor which would help me in determining CPU and Memory resource usage at the time of the occurrence of the problem.

Guys, after reading your comments I reentered Lightroom which had been open since my first email and tried the brush, which if working, was supposed to apply "Dodge lighten (edited)" as reported on the lightroom menu. I was not able to brush.

Then I did as I had to correct the issue before ;I changed the brush selection to "Dodge-Lighten"  only, and that allowed me to apply brush changes.( Dodge Lighten to certain sections of a photo).

Sorry if this is a bit confusing as I will have to troubleshoot some more before I can be more precise but  I don't remember, what, if any changes I had made to the lighten brush before i had left it the last time.

I will have to pay closer attention to details in the foregoing days.

I may speak to Adobe support again as I would like to hear a timeline for the correction of  any memory leak issues.

I would still like to use my GPU for acceleration but I guess if it decelerates things that is a problem...

Funny that these issues would not have been addressed in an emergency response and change in programming......or does it take that much resources or time to react?

I just reentered lightroom again at the end of composing this message and it is working although reporting "dodge lighten edited" as the selected property for my brush. I was able to brush the photo and lighten ithe section brushed.

I will let you know how things go in the following days.....

• 4. Re: LR Brush does not work ---sometimes?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

robertlue wrote:

Is there a windows tool I could turn on e.g. Resource Monitor which would help me in determining CPU and Memory resource usage at the time of the occurrence of the problem.

Inside LR go to Help> System Info. On my Windows 7 system with 12 GB memory LR starts to slow down when 'Real Memory Used by Lightroom' reaches ~40%. There's still plenty of memory available, but for some reason that's where things start to get slow.

robertlue wrote:

Guys, after reading your comments I reentered Lightroom which had been open since my first email and tried the brush, which if working, was supposed to apply "Dodge lighten (edited)" as reported on the lightroom menu. I was not able to brush.

Then I did as I had to correct the issue before ;I changed the brush selection to "Dodge-Lighten" only, and that allowed me to apply brush changes.( Dodge Lighten to certain sections of a photo).

When you see the word (edited) next to a Brush Preset it means the 'Effect' controls have been changed from their original settings. In the case of Dodge (lighten) the Exposure controls is set to +.25.What are the Effects and Brush settings when this happens (i.e. edited appears) and the brush stops working? Make sure Flow and Density are not set to a very low value, which will also stop the brush from working. This tutorial may be helpful:

Adjustment Brush: the basics | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials