11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 12:09 AM by ssprengel

DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

patrick6666 Level 1

I tried 9.6 and 9.1 and 9.0  but no version can open/convert my files. Canon supplies a free editor Digital Photo Professional v4 and he can open the files but not DNG.

• 1. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of what software are you trying to use with the Canon 5DSR CR2 files?

The 5DSR is supported with Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 or newer, the DNG Converter 9.0 or newer and Lightroom 6.0 or newer.

The ACR plug-in 9.x only works with PS CS6 and PS CC, PSE13 with its last update to ACR 9.0, and PSE14 (I think).

If you have a CR2 that doesn't seem to work, then can you upload it to www.dropbox.com (after creawting an account if necessary) and post a public share link in a message here?  That way others can test to see if it works for them.  This will help narrow down if something is incompatible with the file or something is wrong with the configuration of your computer.

• 2. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files
            patrick6666 Level 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my problem.

It may well be an application program incompatibility but at this point I don't see why. 

Do I have to have more than DNG converter 9.6 in order to convert a CR2 to a dng format?.

Is more software necessary to perform that single function?

I have to use 9.1 to 9.6 DNG converter in order to have support for the 5dsr format. And that is what I used, with no success.

so what is up with that? As I said, Canon software can open the CR2 file but DNG converter 9.6 can not.

What happens next is another , as a dng file is intended to be "universal" - or so I was led to believe.

Is it the case that some dng files are different from others ???? Does that make sense?

However my idea was that this would create a dng file that I could then use on any program that supports dng file format - for example my old version of photoshop cs3.

I will try the dropbox  and post a link as you kindly suggested - asap. Thanks.

• 3. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files
              patrick6666 Level 1

I have created a dropbox folder called cr2 test photo from 5dsr - but I'm not sure how to make it public as it seems to want an email address for sharers - 

• 4. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

You could e-mail it to yourself...or most people just right-click Share and copy the link, then paste it, here.

• 5. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

Are you getting an error while trying to use the DNG Converter or are you getting an error when trying to use the DNGs you have converted?

I think you're talking about the former, but If the latter, your CS2 uses ACR 3 and would need you to set Compatibility in the DNG Converter to the oldest ACR 2.4 setting instead of the default of ACR 7.1.

• 6. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files
                    patrick6666 Level 1

Once again thanks for taking an interest in this problem.

Using either DNG 9.6 and 9.1 (I tried two versions just to check) the software cannot see any files in the folder, as if there was nothing there.

So nothing has been converted.

On one occasion - I dont remember the exact sequence - It started a batch conversion and failed all files with some "cannot parse" type error.

I'll keep trying as perhaps DNG does like to open individual files or - who knows?

But thanks for the note to set the compatability  to ACR2.4 in DNG - if I ever get that far.

Still working on the dropbox idea - will let you know when thats ready.

Best wishes, Patrick.

The files look fine in the Canon RAW editor - but that ends up as exif-jpg output for photoshop editing which is not what I want.

• 8. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

I haven’t downloaded the files yet but your issue sounds like it is a misunderstanding of how to use the DNG Converter.  The DNGC works with an entire FOLDER of photos, so you are selecting a FOLDER, and will not see any images since the selection dialog is filtering on folders.  The way to use the DNGC on Windows is to single-click on the folder-name containing the raw photos DO NOT double-click to open it as that will be too deep into the folder to select anything.  If you’re doing it right at least on Windows, the folder name will be highlighted in the list of things to select and will also be shown as the selected item at the bottom of the selection dialog.  I think on a Mac it’s easier to select the right thing, but it still would be that you single-click on the folder-name, I think.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

BTW, I was able to convert your CR2 to a DNG just fine by single-clicking on the folder name to select it:

• 10. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files
                          patrick6666 Level 1

OMG - you are absolutely correct. What an amazing diagnosis, doctor! I was double-clicking the folder which opened to show nothing.  So, following your advice I single clicked and the process started and worked fine.  So I will blunder on to the next stage and try to be more thoughtful about interfaces. THANK YOU so much for your interest and insight. I am indebted to you.

As you are a photographer I have a unrelated resolution question.  I'm learning to use the 5dsr at different resolutions, but to me I see little difference between a 7mb file and a 20mb file. I was expecting the larger file to show more detail when I zoom it, or at least appear sharper, but if there is a difference I dont see it. Now I have control - I hope - of the RAW files I want to see if a 50mb file is any different.  Am I making an incorrect assumption about resolutions?

• 11. Re: DNG not opening my canon 5dsr raw files

I don't know anything about your particular camera, but I can Google.  It appears the camera shoots 50 megapixel (MP) as the full resolution of the sensor, then has two central-crop modes for 30MP and 20MP so the resolution of image details will be similar but the pixel dimensions will be smaller as the two smaller modes are merely the center portion of the sensor.  In other words, the detail won't be coarser or finer, just the edges will have less pixels so more just the center area of the scene.  You should be able to demonstrate this for yourself by shooting the same scene with all three modes to see how they are different.