28 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 1:47 PM by trshaner

Panorama has blown out Highlights!

swrbad Level 1

I stiched an Panorama from 3 Tiff pictures. Within the Tiffs all Highlights are fine, as I prepared before! In the stiched DNG Panorama some of the Highlights are blown out!! So I cannot use the Panorama!!

• 1. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
          Awitmer Level 1

Does the same thing happen when you merge to a panorama in Photoshop? Sometimes if I don’t like the results that I get in Lightroom, I use Photoshop instead.

Go to:

Photo > edit in > Merge to panorama in photoshop

Good luck!

• 2. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

swrbad wrote:

I stiched an Panorama from 3 Tiff pictures. Within the Tiffs all Highlights are fine, as I prepared before! In the stiched DNG Panorama some of the Highlights are blown out!! So I cannot use the Panorama!!

When the panorama DNG is created Exposure compensation is used to normalize all images to the same relative exposure setting. If one or more of the image files has a lower exposure (i.e. higher shutter speed or aperture) the exposure will be raised and may cause highlight clipping. If the original TIFF files are not clipped in the highlights this should be recoverable using Basic panel -Exposure and/or -Highlights and +Shadows on the panorama DNG file. You could also try using a Graduated filter or Adjustment brush with -Exposure in the clipped image area.

• 3. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
              swrbad Level 1

Sorry but I have no Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                swrbad Level 1

I tried to recover the blown areas, with basic panel and brushes in the dng file but the white spots have  no structure at all, they are plain White!

• 5. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

Upload your Tiff files to Dropbox so we can try to see what is going on.

• 6. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

Please post a screenshot of the panorama with white spots using the Insert Image tool.

• 7. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                      swrbad Level 1

I am sorry but I am on travel and could not post any pictures. I am back in ten days. I hope you can help later.

Thanks so long.

• 8. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                        swrbad Level 1

Original Tiff

Tiff-Original-100.jpgLightroom-Pano-dng-100.jpg

Lightroom Pano

Hello I am back again, here you can easily see the blown Highlights in the lamp.The real picture shows the complete room!

When I reduce the exposure of the tiffs  in Lightroom it has no effect on the Lightroom Pano also!

• 9. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

Is this the full image or a crop. We need to see the complete panorama image file with all three TIFFs merged. It would also be helpful to show us a screenshot of the three individual TIFF files like this:

Are you perhaps using Photo Merge to HDR and not Panorama?

swrbad wrote:

When I reduce the exposure of the tiffs in Lightroom it has no effect on the Lightroom Pano also!

Merge to Panorama does not apply any settings to the individual image files. But it does apply the settings of the "most highlighted" image file to the panorama DNG file. Have you tried manually adjusting the Basic panel settings (Exposure, Highlights, Shadows, etc.) of the panorama DNG file?

• 10. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                            swrbad Level 1

I used Panorama, and I tried to manually adjust basic panel setting of the DNG File. But if there is no more information in the blown details you cannot get them back anyway. Here the whole dng panorama as jpeg, the original file is 123MB.

And the three Tiffs as jpeg too.Lightroom-Pano-dng-100.jpgLightroom-Pano-dng-102.jpgLightroom-Pano-dng-101.jpgLightroom-Pano-dng-100.jpg

• 11. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

Below is your posted JPEG of the panorama DNG and a panorama DNG created on my system using the three JPEG copies of the original TIFFs. There is no highlight clipping in the panorama created using the JPEG files.

This proves there is no highlight clipping in the TIFF files. So what's happening? I checked the EXIF data of the three JPEGs and your camera was set on 'Program AE' mode. This caused the image files to be shot at three different exposures. As mentioned previously LR "normalizes the exposure values so the images appear uniform when stitched. LR apparently increased the exposure of image files 100 & 101, which causes image file #100 to appear over-exposed. Did you apply LR adjustments to the three TIFF files to correct exposure differences before exporting to JPEG? If so that may explain the difference.

When using raw files this should be fully recoverable by applying -Exposure, and/or -Highlights and +Shadows, and local adjustments since the DNG file contains the original (unclipped) raw data. Perhaps when using non-raw files (TIFF, JPEG) highlight clipping is not fully recoverable when the image files are shot at different exposures. Do you have the original raw files that were used to create the TIFFs?  If so try using them to create the panorama.

Exposure Comparison.jpg

In addition as you can see above the image files were shot at different apertures (F2.8 and 5.6). The image files will have different depth of field, which can cause visible differences at the stitching seams. For both Merge to Panorama and HDR the image files should all be shot at the same aperture (i.e. aperture priority or manual shutter speed), focal length, focus setting, and white balance. Your camera was set to 'Auto' WB so you should copy over the same WB setting if using 'As Shot' to all of the images to insure they are uniform.

Upload the TIFFs to Dropbox and I'll investigate further if anything else can be done.

Lightroom-Pano-dng-100 vs from JPEG.jpg

• 12. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please upload your 3 source TIFs to www.dropbox.com and post a public-share link, here.

Why aren't you starting from raw files?

• 13. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                  swrbad Level 1

Ok, I think the advice I should have taken the photos not in Program AE mode to be sure the exposure of every file is equal will give an solution for the problem. Unfortunately I can not work in Raw because the files are from an Sigma Merrill Camera proceded in Sigma Photo Pro.

• 14. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure they are actually blown out? Lightroom supposedly creates a 16 bit floating point dng when merging to panorama that should retain the info. It might just appear blown out as it takes the exposure settings from the most-selected image when you initiate the merge. Just dial in a negative highlights correction or negative exposure comp. Again we can check if you post your files somewhere.

• 15. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please upload the 3 TIFs to dropbox.  I think there is probably a workflow that will result in non-blown highlights.

• 17. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

Creating a panorama with the TIFF files produces a DNG file with clipped highlights in the raw data. Here's the view in RawDigger showing the raw data clipping:

_SDI0219-Pano-From TIFF-RawDigger.jpg

I exported the three TIFF files with a -1.0 Exposure setting to over-ride the ~1.0 EV "as shot" exposure difference and the panorama DNG has no clipping (as expected).

_SDI0217_-1.0 Exposure Panorama DNG.jpg

The solution is to shoot with fixed aperture and shutter speed settings (i.e. manual exposure mode). Doing so prevents exposure compensation from being applied during Merge to Panorama. The best solution is to use raw files, which creates a panorama DNG with unmodified raw image data regardless of exposure setings.

EDIT: I checked one of my panorama raw file sets with a 1.0 EV as shot exposure difference. The panorama DNG has unrecoverable areas that are fully recoverable in the original raw file. So the only way to prevent this from happening is to shoot at a fixed aperture and shutter speed. Meter on the brightest area to prevent highlight clipping.

• 18. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

swrbad wrote:

Unfortunately I can not work in Raw because the files are from an Sigma Merrill Camera proceded in Sigma Photo Pro.

What model Sigma camera are you using?

• 19. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                            swrbad Level 1

Hello, oh thanks for all that effort!!So I now have a practical solution for my merrill Tiffs! Lightroom merge to panorama works anyway better with Raw Data. I use all three DP 1,2,3 Merrill cameras. For this  shoot I used the DP1 Merrill.

So thanks a lot for finding the solution!!

• 20. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                              swrbad Level 1

Hi, once more,I now tried on the computer from my friend the same in PhotoMerge on Photoshop with the original Tiff Files.

No Clipping at all!! But I have no pano.dng!

• 21. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

swrbad wrote:

I use all three DP 1,2,3 Merrill cameras. For this shoot I used the DP1 Merrill.

Sigma DP1 and DP1 cameras are supported in LR 2 and up.

Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

• 22. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

swrbad wrote:

Hi, once more,I now tried on the computer from my friend the same in PhotoMerge on Photoshop with the original Tiff Files.

No Clipping at all!! But I have no pano.dng!

Interesting. It appears Merge to Panorama in Photoshop applies -Exposure compensation to normalize the 'as shot' settings. It also then applies +Exposure to the panorama TIFF file to return it to its original exposure level. This results in an image with no clipping. There is no DNG file option because PS is doing destructive pixel editing.

There's no reason I'm aware of that would prevent Adobe from using the -Exposure compensation for Merge to Panorama in LR. This is clearly a better choice since shadow clipping is usually fully recoverable, but not highlight clipping.

_SDI0219_Merge to Panorama LR PS Compare.jpg

• 23. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                                    swrbad Level 1

Unfortunately the newer DP Merrill , DP Quattro and SD1 Cams also with X3F Files are not supported!

• 24. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                                      Bob Somrak Level 5

trshaner wrote:

swrbad wrote:

. There is no DNG file option because PS is doing destructive pixel editing.

is there any need to create a DNG from merged TIFF files?

• 25. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                                        swrbad Level 1

You are right, this would be the reason why Lightroom does no -Exposure compensation!

So I will merge in Photoshop in the future, I don`t need DNG in this case!

Thanks

• 26. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

swrbad wrote:

So I will merge in Photoshop in the future

LR has Boundary Warp, which can be used to automatically fill in the missing image areas in the panorama DNG. This feature is not available in Merge to Panorama in PS.  Highlight clipping will not occur in the LR panorama DNG file if you meter on the brightest part of the subject being photographed AND use manual exposure mode with these settings for all the other image files.

• 27. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!
                                                            swrbad Level 1

Boundary Warp is only for CC User. But I am not a friend of using CC and paying every year money to Adobe!

• 28. Re: Panorama has blown out Highlights!

You can use the warp tools in PS to do virtually the same thing as Boundary Warp, but it's more labor intensive.