7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 8:53 AM by Rick Gerard

Is it legal?

nabeelzafar4

We are developing a software which requires to render .aep with scripts (both scripts and .aep files are given in the software). We have created this but now the issue is that we don't want out client to install after effect  just to render already created .aep files.

We could not find any standalone render system for this purpose so we decided to attach a copy of AE (copy-only not installation and not activated) with our software and use its render but we don't know if it is legal. and we do not know if it will expires after 30 day?

OR you can suggest any other better solution.

• 1. Re: Is it legal?
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

I'm not sure but you've certainly come to the right place for legal advice.  So....kudos for that.

• 2. Re: Is it legal?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We are developing a software which requires to render .aep with scripts (both scripts and .aep files are given in the software). We have created this but now the issue is that we don't want out client to install after effect just to render already created .aep files.

Ahem..., but isn't this like building the best car in teh world and then not wanting anybody to drive with it? I mean it's more than obvious that only AE can do anything with its project format and specifically tailored scripts, so pardon me for being so blunt, but the whole thing seems slightly moronic. Other than that you can of course throw around the trial version as much as you like, but I bet you get more than just an angry call after 30 days. I'm really sitting here ready to bang my head against something very hard because this is so ridiculous...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Is it legal?
              nabeelzafar4 Level 1

Actually our software will create the script that will change the the text in .aep as required by the user. And this was just an idea for implementation and I hoped to get better one. Like someone suggested me to try online AE rendering farm but problem with that was we don't want our clients to pay for that instead that XYZ rendering farm company should take money directly from us but I could not find any rendering farm providing this facility.

If their is any other solution for that you can suggest.

• 4. Re: Is it legal?
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

So let me get this straight...You're "developing" "software" that requires .aep files to be able to render but it needs After Effects in order to render?  I must be misunderstanding you right?  So your asking if anybody knows of a way to render .aep files without After Effects so that your software (that can only render .aep files) can render .aep files?  LOL

• 5. Re: Is it legal?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There can be no other solution. You have a completely fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. How would you render an AEP without all the functions and features of After effects? That totally makes no sense. You wouldn't open a meticulously formatted Word or Excel File in Windows's standard text editor and hope it renders the same.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Is it legal?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

You're going about this the totally wrong way.  Render out the files.  Deliver them to the client.  End of story.

• 7. Re: Is it legal?
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would be far better served by trying to create a script or plug-in that you could sell on a site like aescripts.com than trying to cobble up something that would try and use AE on a virtual server or in trial mode to add text modified by the user. There are a bunch of AE render farms available, you just have to pay for the time. There are dozens, if not hundreds of scripts available to add text to projects. Any software that requires AE to run on the users computer would require AE, simple as that.

If you want a stand alone app I would suggest you look at developing an APP for IOS and Google instead of heading down the road you have chosen. It makes no sense at all to me.