9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 9:48 AM by BarbBinder

InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file

koshka99

Can someone explain me, why InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF metadata? It happens quite often that my client changes the name of the PDF file and I have some difficulties to find InDesign document. Just to point out, if I print a postscript and use distiller, metadata contain document name and author. Why a direct PDF export doesn’t allow this?

Thanks

Document Properties after print to postscript and subsequently Distiller

Snímka obrazovky 2016-07-13 o 10.59.27.png

Document Properties after direct export from InDesign to PDF

Snímka obrazovky 2016-07-13 o 10.59.44.png

• 2. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file
          Luke Jennings Level 4

If you check on Tagged PDF, the document name will appear in your PDF.

Metadata can be added in InDesign under File> Info. This information will appear in your PDF even if the Tagged PDF is not checked on.

• 3. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file
            Randy Hagan Adobe Community Professional

I believe that I can partially explain this:

By default, InDesign document files don't have provisions to attach filname and creator metadata to a PDF file, since InDesign doesn't attach that metadata to an InDesign document file.

metadata1.png

It does, however, attach some metadata to the file, primarily regarding source document and PDF format properties.

metadata2.png

When you create the document through a .ps output file and use Distiller, it as a matter of course attaches that information from your Acrobat installation, not from InDesign.

I say this is a partial explanation because it offers why InDesign doesn't attach that information. As mentioned in previous responses, you can choose to add that information on a file-by file basis by using the File>Info... menu command, but you cannot currently set that on a global basis in the application. I can't answer why InDesign should or shouldn't include that information, because those decisions are made at levels higher than my pay grade. If you think it should, I suggest that you consider making your case by submitting a New Feature request at:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Please don't take this as not taking your question seriously, because I am taking it most seriously. It's just that as far as the status quo is concerned, InDesign literally isn't designed to do it that way. For what it's worth, previous versions didn't attach that metadata either.

• 4. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file
              Luke Jennings Level 4

Also, if your client is changing the name of the PDF file, they might also be inadvertently removing the metadata when they optimize the PDF in Acrobat to reduce the document size (Save-as optimized PDF, Discard used data). If this is the case, it's easy enough to un-check this setting.

• 5. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional
                By default, InDesign document files don't have provisions to attach filname and creator metadata to a PDF file, since InDesign doesn't attach that metadata to an InDesign document file.

Hmmmm. A layout job from 7/5/16 on InDesign CC 2015.4 carried over the File and Title, just like it always does.

Acrobat Pross_017.png

You don't think it's based on how we create the PDF? I use File > Export.

• 6. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file

It may well be.

As mentioned above, tagged PDF information can contain the filename, and File>Info... entries can attach both the creator and filename to the resulting PDF.

But I also created files to confirm what the OP offered, and when I use the Adobe PDF presets with InDesign, whether I use either presets provided by InDesign or myself, or I use IDCC 2015.4, 2014 or CS6, I get the same result the original poster had. I think that might be because the only thing InDesign CC "knows" about me is the email address associated with my CC subscription, unless I add that metadata on a file-by-file basis. For additional confirmation, after seeing your post I just checked it on my Windows install and got the same result as the OP for CC 2015, latest update.

I'm actually curious how your InDesign output "knows" that information, because the syntax "Layout by", semicolon and organization affiliation is outside of anything that would be picked up by default through metadata.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file
                    unless I add that metadata on a file-by-file basis

Ah. It's in my template.

I assumed—foolishly perhaps—that the OP had entered the metadata in the file via File > Info.

InDesignss_002.png

But here's something interesting and unexpected: I had to grab that screen cap from CS6. When I went to File > Info in CC 2015.4, all I get is that white shape outlined below. I can't do anything else until I press Esc. The Info dialog box doesn't open.

InDesign CCss_045.png

• 8. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file

Hmmmm. The plot thickens ...

I was creating fresh files in each version -- a one-page doc with a black box in the middle of it. I didn't try to open the same file in different versions. You may have found a reportable bug there. I'm away from my Mac at the moment, so I can't try to repeat your observation.

Great branding there, by the way.

I believe that kind of thing is important for designer/production pros for a number of reasons. And you've given me one more thing to add to the IDCC long-documentation course I'm developing. Thank you sharing your findings with us.

• 9. Re: InDesign doesn’t export document name and author to the PDF file

Glad to help, and I did report it, with a link back to this thread.