9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 1:49 PM by trshaner

$1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.

Hollywood_7

I'm an amateur photographer. I fully aware of the advantages of RAW vs JPEG. I was excited with the RAW support for Lightroom what I wasn't excited about was the price tag. $1.99 per month/ 20GB is not a lot of storage space when saving in RAW format. I use a Canon G7X camera that has RAW support. But for the storage price I may as well wait for iOS 10 that will support RAW for free.

If if the storage was more like 60GB for $1.99 I would consider it.

Am I missing something here or does anyone else agree?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will admit that I'm not very well informed about all the services available from Adobe. Where do you get 20 GB of storage for $1.99? Take note that that would be cloud storage, and you wouldn't be able to work on those images if they were only stored there. Your raw images need to be local on a hard drive in order for Lightroom to have access to them. Are you thinking you want to store your entire library in cloud storage?

• 2. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
            Hollywood_7 Level 1

I got the price from the Adobe Creative Cloud storage app. In order to use the "free" Lightroom app you will need to "pay" for Adobe Creative Cloud storage to access the "RAW" feature from the Lightroom mobile app for members. The minimum "pay" option is $1.99 for your first 20 GB in Adobe Creative Cloud, there is no other way to use Lightroom Mobile with RAW unless you purchase the Adobe Creative Cloud.

Are you aware of another way to access the mobile RAW feature in iOS Lightroom without having to subscribe to an Adobe Creative Cloud service?

I've read the "small print" very carefully and do not see another option, have you discovered another way that I am not aware of?

• 3. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where do you get 20 GB of storage for $1.99?

It's an in-app offering in the Adobe Creative cloud mobile app, Jim

Increased 20Gb storage via itunes is not showing in Creative Cloud

• 4. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.

Lightroom mobile is not designed as a place for you to store your raw images. It is a service that is connected to your desktop Lightroom. It enables you to create collections and share reduced size copies of those images on the Internet. If you don't have Lightroom Mobile thing you can access that service by going to Lightroom.adobe.com. But the original raw images remain on your computer. In my opinion, 20 GB of storage space is quite liberal for the type of service that is being provided.

• 5. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
                  Hollywood_7 Level 1

I don't have Lightroom for PC. I'm not interested in storing my images in Lightroom or on Adobe Creative Cloud I'm more than happy having the files on my phone.

But you're missing my point, should I choose to "edit" my pictures which I've transferred from my Canon G7X in RAW form on my iPhone I would not be able to do so unless I purchased the Adobe Creative Cloud plan.

Is this not correct?

• 6. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.

My message above was not directed to you although it appears to be so.

• 7. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
                      John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Understood Jim. I didn't take it that way. I viewed it as progressing the discussion.

• 8. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.

As far as I am aware, that is correct. The mobile features offered by Adobe are tied to the creative cloud plan. If you don't have and don't want that plan, then paying for the 20 GB of space isn't going to give you anything that you can use.

• 9. Re: $1.99 for 20GB of space a bit steep.
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

hollywood_7 wrote:

I don't have Lightroom for PC. I'm not interested in storing my images in Lightroom or on Adobe Creative Cloud I'm more than happy having the files on my phone.

But you're missing my point, should I choose to "edit" my pictures which I've transferred from my Canon G7X in RAW form on my iPhone I would not be able to do so unless I purchased the Adobe Creative Cloud plan.

Is this not correct?

Lightroom Mobile for iOS cannot edit raw files. You need to purchase and use the Lightroom Desktop application for Windows PC or Mac OS X. This is available as a standalone application (Lightroom 6) or a Creative Cloud subscription with Photoshop (Photography plan).

The "free" plan allows you to download and use Lightroom Mobile for iOS, but again there is no raw file editing capability that I am aware of. It also has far fewer editing features and capability compared to the desktop app. Adobe is hoping users will try the "free" iOS app and then purchase the full-product:

Tom Hogarty, Adobe’s director of product management for digital imaging told TNW …Both apps were updated a few days ago, and clearly Adobe is hoping that people get sufficiently hooked on the mobile version to then lay out the bucks for the desktop app or a Creative Cloud subscription.

Lightroom for iPad and iPhone are now totally free, no desktop app or subscription needed | 9to5Mac