12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 12:00 PM by SIRC_Tahan

InDesign Crashing Continuously

FredriksonB Level 1

After I updated to the new InDesign release, it has been completely unstable. It crashes quite often, and after it does, it completely loses all my preferences each time. I've tried trashing preferences and uninstalling and reinstalling from the Creative Cloud app. I'm on Windows 7 and made the mistake of not keeping the previous CC version on my computer. Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
          sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

You can create the crash dump for windows using the following method:

1) Start Task Manager. To do this, use one of the following methods:

• Right-click an empty area of the task bar, and then click Start Task Manager.

• Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

2) Click the Processes tab.

3) Right-click the name of the process(InDesign, in this case) that you want, and then click Create Dump File.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

A dump file for the process is created in the following folder:

Drive: \Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp

4) When you receive a message that states that the dump file was successfully created, click OK.

Share the dump file created with steps above with me at santalwa@adobe.com

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
            paragoninteriors

Hi,

we have an increasing number of designers starting to complain of InDesign crashing out.

I created a dmp file for one user but its over 1gb ??????!!!!!

How am i gonna upload that in any relevant amount of time?

Win10 pro x64

All ACC apps up-to-date.

• 3. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Put it in a Dropbox or OneDrive folder and provide a link to that.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                AndyAtPBZinc

Similar experience here... trying to figure out what triggers it. (candidates so far include working in dialogue boxes or a panel and then quickly back to pasteboard or moving around quickly in pasteboard or quickly deselecting/selecting...)  I will say that the crashing does not wipe out my prefs...  So far the only annoyance is the crashing and then having to restart the app with a few minutes of lost work.

• 5. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                  AndyAtPBZinc Level 1

Wanted to add: Win 7 x64 Home edition

• 6. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                    FredriksonB Level 1

Just a follow up. I started with fresh preferences and InDesign ran well for a few hours. When I restarted my computer though InDesign trashed and reset all my set preferences. This seems to be a common theme with InDesign 2015 - whenever it crashes or I restart all my preferences are reset. It's quite frustrating to work with.

• 7. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                      lstrong77 Level 1

I am crashing whenever I open the effects panel and apply an effect such as a drop shadow. It's not a memory issue.

Windows 10 and up-to-date

• 8. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                        obbel

Similar problem here: InDesign 15.4 crashing when I attempt to export to idml and when generating a table of contents. I'm on Windows 10 with everything (Win and ACC) up to date. What to do?

• 9. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                          [Ravi Kiran] Adobe Employee

Are you working on files saved on a network? We are aware of an issue on Windows where working on Effects on network files causes InDesign to crash. We are working on a fix for this issue and it will be made available shortly.

In the meantime, try working on files saved locally on your system.

• 10. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                            obbel Level 1

Thanks Ravi but no network here, just one unnetworked PC. In addition to crashing on generating a ToC and exporting to idml, it crashes on export to hi-res pdf. (It will do single pages.)

I have now managed to recreate the whole 54pp magazine in CS6 by using those single pages. It exports to pdf and idml beautifully.

(Incidentally the Adobe telephone number here in New Zealand has gone dead. It doesn't even seem to ring!)

• 11. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                              Abambo Adobe Community Professional

[Ravi Kiran] wrote:

In the meantime, try working on files saved locally on your system.

Quite difficult, if you have a multi-user workflow!

I've also noticed some problems with the latest version of InDesign. And we are working exclusoively in a multiuser networked environment with Windows 7 workstations --- But maybe it's in relation to the depressing splash screen... Please use something more nice so that it is fun starting InDesign several times a day...

(I hope nobody takes some of the remarks to serious... And tries to answer. My solution currently is to wait for the next patch during my holydays)

• 12. Re: InDesign Crashing Continuously
                                SIRC_Tahan

InDesign crashes (on Mac El Cap + Adobe CC) for me every time I use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+tab to insert a right indent tab. Clearing Pref's, unistalling/reinstalling, restarts, etc have not fixed this. Strangely this also coincides with another issue where sometimes the Selection Tool will not work and the cursor is stuck on the hand tool.