11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2016 9:11 AM by johng44721896

Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?

nannetter97717210

I had my photos stored on an external hard drive and upgraded to a bigger external drive. My husband copied the files to the new drive. Now I cannot access the photos on either drive. I have followed the steps for updating the location of the photos, but it doesn't work. I have tried "find missing photos" and that does not work either. I can follow the steps, but nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? I suspect I am missing a simple step, but I have tried multiple times with both drives. I have restarted LR. I have restarted the computer. Nothing makes any difference.

Thanks for any help or guidance anyone can give.

• 1. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi nannetter,

Please connect the new external drive which contains all the images, now open Lightroom and under the Library tab update the folder location.

Refer the below link.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

Note: Please make sure that you copy all the images in the same structure from the last hard drive to the new one.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

After you connect the external drive and turn it on, start LR.

Go to the Library, Folders panel.

If any of the folders are marked as missing (?), you need to fix that before you attempt to fix any missing photos.

If your folder tree in LR does not match the view of the folders from Explorer/Finder, right-click on a folder and select "show parent"; repeat as needed.

The catch in all of this is that LR knows the difference between individually missing photos and photos missing because their folder is missing. You need to fix the missing folders first.

• 3. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
              nannetter97717210 Level 1

The problem is that following the steps to locate missing files or folders does not work. I have done both multiple times and it has absolutely no effect on them.

I know the folders and files are there. They are also listed at the top as missing photographs and on the drive. I can view the photos on the drive outside of LR, but no matter what I do LR still says they are missing.

• 4. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?

Do you mean right click on the folders within LR? I tried and I do not have the option of "find parent".  My options are: "Find this Folder" (which doesn't solve the problem), "Remove" or "Export as a Catalog".

• 5. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
                  dj_paige Level 9

nannetter97717210 wrote:

The problem is that following the steps to locate missing files or folders does not work.

Why not? What happens? Describe this in great detail. If there is an error message, please quote the complete exact unedited word-for-word error message

• 6. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?

I click the folder with the ?. I get the prompt to "find missing folder". I locate the folder on the hard drive, click the folder and click choose.

This does not relink the folder. I still have a ? and all photos are missing.

• 7. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Are the photos in the folder you selected? Do the photos have the same name in your operating system as in Lightroom?

Is there an error message?

• 8. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?

No error messages. Yes they have the same name.

My husband copied the files from one external hard drive to larger external hard drive because I was running out of space. I cannot access either drive once the transfer was made. Both drives contain the images. I have tried both independently (only one drive connected to the computer at a time) and I cannot get either to reconnect the files.

After trying a gazillion times, I was just able to get one set of folders to reconnect. I didn't do anything different. It just suddenly seemed to work.

Now to get the rest to "take". They do seem to be rearranged and not in the same order as lightroom. For example, in LR I have a parent folder with  sub folders. On the hard drive it shows the parent folder, but there are no sub folders. When I open it, it has 30 something photos in it. I can't find the photos, even though the hard drive says that all the photos are there and takes up the appropriate amount of space.

• 9. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
                          dj_paige Level 9

Now to get the rest to "take". They do seem to be rearranged and not in the same order as lightroom. For example, in LR I have a parent folder with  sub folders. On the hard drive it shows the parent folder, but there are no sub folders. When I open it, it has 30 something photos in it. I can't find the photos, even though the hard drive says that all the photos are there and takes up the appropriate amount of space.

I really don't understand this. Can you show us a screen capture of Lightroom's folder panel, and a screen capture of your operating system showing the folders you want to connect to?

• 10. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?

Thanks for your help, but it is working now. I didn't make any changes that I am aware of. I've been doing the same thing for two days to try to re-link them.

• 11. Re: Find Missing Folders Not Working - What am I missing?
                              johng44721896

Nannetter, I found this thread googling for an answer to the same problem. I too was quite conversant with finding missing folders from within Lr.

I too had to move folders of files to different drives, but for the most part, there had been no problem with telling Lr where the folders have moved.

But this morning, I noticed three folders were thought to be missing, and right clicking and navigating to them and choosing them did not restore the association.

I thought perhaps that external drive was too far down the daisy chain, and made it the only external drive attached.

But still, the customary method of finding the missing folder did not seem to work.

So I quit Lr without backing up this time.

I reopened Lr.

And now those three folders were no longer thought to be missing.

I am guessing that the customary method for finding missing folders actually worked, but it did not seem to be working until I closed Lr, and then relaunched it while that external drive was on.

I quit Lr again. Ejected that external drive, and then hooked it back up in the daisy chain order it had been previously when Lr couldn't see those missing folders.

Thankfully, Lr still is seeing those folders.

I am adding this comment to the thread in case some other individual is searching and this may be useful.

Cheers,

John